way point/ via point

Nope. Sorry, I can see from this thread there can be a problem if way points or via points are missed, but I can't see from this thread what the difference between them is.

A via point...

Reading to Edinburgh via Chepstow. You have a job to do in Edinburgh but instead of going direct you need to go via Chepstow to pick something up, Chepstow is you via point...hope that makes sense.......:D

Reading to Edinburgh via Chepstow. You have a job to do in Edinburgh but instead of going direct you need to go via Chepstow to pick something up, Chepstow is you via point...hope that makes sense.......:D

errr - so what's a way point then?

Well, I though a waypoint is something that you program in deliberately to pass through a place of interest, give it a name etc etc . A via point is created internally by the Mapsource programme as you plot your route using the routing tool.

OK.

In Mapsource, I enter 2 way points - home and Edinburgh. I calculate a route. Then I decide I want to go via York. I add another way point in York, and recalculate.

So I added a way point to go via York.

In the route properties it now shows I have 3 "via" points. But there is no facility to add a via point from mapsource - only waypoints

Does a way point become a via point when it's part of a route?

In the route properties it now shows I have 3 "via" points. But there is no facility to add a via point from mapsource - only waypoints. Does a way point become a via point when it's part of a route?
Got it. :thumb2 A Via Point is just a waypoint you want to go through, on the way to another waypoint. It will suddenly all make sense.

Have you read your manual?

Of course not.

But I think I see now.

In the 2610 itself you can add "via points" in . They are not permanent. Way points are permanent ie can be saved and can be used to construct a route in mapsource or on the unit - at which time they become via points for that route.

At least, so it would seem.

Of course not.

Well under "help" it has this to say:

Understanding Waypoints

A waypoint is a location that you mark on the map. It can be an address, an existing map feature, a point of interest, an empty spot on the map, or any other point you want. You can use waypoints to mark places like your favorite restaurant, a friend's house, etc.

You can mark waypoints directly on the map or by using the Find feature. You can also transfer waypoints to MapSource from a Garmin GPS device. MapSource allows you to set your waypoint preferences to change the default method for displaying waypoints.

You can edit waypoint properties after they have been marked. You can select multiple waypoints in the Waypoints tab and view or change their properties as a group.

Waypoints are shown on the map and in the Waypoints tab. Select a waypoint in the Waypoints tab to highlight the waypoint on the Graphic Map.

Waypoint Tips

You can create waypoints in MapSource or transfer them from a Garmin GPS device.

To display a waypoint on the Graphic Map, right-click on that waypoint in the Waypoints tab and select Show Selected Waypoint on Map.

You can perform a variety of tasks by right-clicking a waypoint in the Waypoints tab. See Waypoint Shortcut menu for more information.

You can save waypoints in a file on your computer. See Saving Your Data for more information.

For more information on waypoints, see the following topics:

Using the Waypoints Tab

Creating Waypoint Categories

Marking Waypoints

Editing Waypoint Properties

Moving Waypoints

Using Customized Waypoint Symbols

Setting Waypoint Preferences

You can also add a via point (using Mapsource) by clicking, then dragging the active route (highlighted in yellow). Saves using hundreds of waypoints, or adding them manually using the Route Properties dialogue.

You can also add a via point (using Mapsource) by clicking, then dragging the active route (highlighted in yellow). Saves using hundreds of waypoints, or adding them manually using the Route Properties dialogue.

How do you do that! I've been trying to modify a route by dragging the active route but can't get it to work. Which tool do you use to drag:confused:

How do you do that! I've been trying to modify a route by dragging the active route but can't get it to work. Which tool do you use to drag:confused:

Marvellous - just read Whatton's mapsource for dummies, sorted!

Marvellous - just read Whatton's mapsource for dummies, sorted!
Glad you're sorted. It's a good idea to 'drag' the new point to a road outside of a town, rather than the town itself. If you don't, Mapsource tends to double back on itself quite a bit.

Glad you're sorted. It's a good idea to 'drag' the new point to a road outside of a town, rather than the town itself. If you don't, Mapsource tends to double back on itself quite a bit.

yes, just found that out when my route suddenly went from 261 miles to 407 miles!
Closer inspection showed I was travelling in circles around the M42 and M6.

What's the quickest way to fix this? - delete way points, or start again?

Back
Top Bottom