tomtom rider 2

Not sure about the Scala headset though. The current Rider bluetooth adaptor connects to intercom systems through a jackplug/cable. I don't know what the connectors are on the Scala, but connecting it to an intercom may be more tricky - I'd hate to have to use the Scala for the GPS and the intercom for iPod/speech.

Anyone know if the Scala headset has a jackplug socket?

Iain

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84987&page=6&highlight=rider+fault

This has been echoed for some while and in the box is a RAM mount kit with similar setup as zumo users. Only difference that I know is its a diamond base and not round base, so again it picks up on to two of four diagonal fixing holes. The cradle is still TT (not RAM part), some were expecting a different style of cradle but it still looks same and with only a miniscule of cosmetic changes that were reported in above thread, so I keep an open mind .. if the problems have been resolved.

Can anybody answer some questions about the Scala Rider for me.

Im getting a new tomtom Rider 2 unit with a Scala rider unit in the box.

However my query is that the unit I currently use I can wire into my Autocom and get my audio through that. So can this be done with the Scala rider.

So secondly, can the unit be charged at the same time as being used. Im planning on carrying a inverter with me throughout a trip to Europe so I can charge the unit when were riding.

Currently I have a tomtom Rider and I use the bluetooth headset whilst riding through my autocom but I cannot charge the unit whilst in use which is a pain. Nearly perfect, just needs that little bit more thought!!!

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

the ZC

I saw the Rider 2 at the recent PocketGPS exhibition.

The Tomtom guys were making a big thing about solving the mount problem with a RAM mount and the use of the Scala Bluetooth. I asked the about audio out and the answer was that they did not fit an audio out socket as it would `compromise the waterproofing'. This is clearly a load of rubbish as they have managed to get power in without compromising the waterproofing so they could also get audio out. Also my Garmin 2720 does not have a problem here and all the plugs and sockets on my bike have survived two winters and a lot of jet washing without failing. IPX7 waterproofng is not that hard to acheive, the real answer is that despite all the problems of the Rider 1, they still do not know their market.

I don't know whether the Scala can be charged while riding but even of it can it s still a stupid way to go. There is no point in a wireless connection between the gps and headset if you have to add a wire from helmet to bike to charge it and it still does not solve the problem of the many riders who need Autocom for bike to bike or bike as its not practical to fit separate headsets for Autocom and gps.

When I bought my Rider it had rave reviews but I bought the Garmin after a couple of months of use as I found their were serious flaws in the system - and have since found Tomtom service is crap. Maybe the Rider 2 is better in some ways but it is still seriously flawed and I doubt the poor service will improve. I guess they thought the Rider 1 bracket was OK when they designed it but I would not touch anything from Tomtom until it had been on the market for at least a year.

Can anybody answer some questions about the Scala Rider for me.

Im getting a new tomtom Rider 2 unit with a Scala rider unit in the box.

However my query is that the unit I currently use I can wire into my Autocom and get my audio through that. So can this be done with the Scala rider.

So secondly, can the unit be charged at the same time as being used. Im planning on carrying a inverter with me throughout a trip to Europe so I can charge the unit when were riding.

Currently I have a tomtom Rider and I use the bluetooth headset whilst riding through my autocom but I cannot charge the unit whilst in use which is a pain. Nearly perfect, just needs that little bit more thought!!!

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

the ZC

Hi ZC,

It may not solve your problem totally, but if you are committed to buying the Rider 2 at the moment, you may find that the best option is to use the current Rider BT adaptor (plugged into your Autocom) with it (Tomtom tech support tell me that the current BT adaptor will work with the Rider 2).

You would at least then have the most up to date maps and the benefits of the new mount.

:beer:

Iain

Hi ZC, You would at least then have the most up to date maps and the benefits of the new mount.:beer: Iain

Yes its a new mount so far as my previous post.. with similar setup as zumo users. Only difference that I know is .. a diamond base was used on TTR v1 .. whereas TTR v2 gets a new four hole square plate (RAM-B-347) which, this time, they have used, and so matches the AMPS format, unlike TTR v1.

The cradle is still TT (not RAM part and not seen even by them :augie ), so jury is still out on this. TT must improve its customer service/support after the drumming its had here and elsewhere.

TT will have to go some to restore bikers confidence with TTR, its not a job I fancy having .

Well I had to send back my rider 1 for a mount issue and the customer service was great. They got it back quick. TT have moved their repairs to the UK and I understand they have made improvements with this move although it has also caused some teething troubles they are now over. Only time will tell.

I did think about using the one rider bt adaptor but I cant charge and use that at the same time! :(

Any more ideas???

Im sure any bt adaptor with a "0000" passcode would do the job but I need one that can be charged and used at the same time.

the ZC

Back
Top Bottom