Question for The Mechanic (or anyone else...)

Burfcontrol

Reaction score
Just read your earlier thread on the Lambda sensor. I've got a friendly workshop who're gonna have a look at making me a y-piece, do you know the thread spec on the lambda?
Other option is to take the original collector box, mix in 1 dremmil, remove cat and weld it all back together again. Does this sound viable? has anyone opened up the original collector box, any idea what I might find inside?
Cheers Burf :beerjug:

Burf

This should help... a bolt that fits the hole in place of the lambda is a M18 by 1.5mm pitch (assuming it's the same size as the S).

I had to recut the thread where the previous owner of a Laser Y piece left part of his lambda sensor behind when he removed it.

HTH

Adam

Lambda mount

Try going to your local exhaust centre and ask if you can have an old discarded front pipe with a Lambda mount intact. Cut out the lug and get your 'friendly' w/shop to use it in their 'Y' piece construction. You may find that the exhaust centre might want a reward for digging out said pipe, or you could go to your local car breakers yard.

Make sure the 'Y' piece fits exactly with no loading (excess springing needed to fit to front pipes) otherwise you may create cracks in the original front pipes. A small smear of exhaust paste will prevent air/exhaust leaks but make removal a bit more tighter.

Good luck.

Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh, RUN AWAY

If the blokes are who are making the y piece don't know what the thread is, or even worse, can't make one themselves, run for your life. Making an exhaust is more than just sticking some tubes together, DON'T go near an exhaust's r us place, 99% of those places know feck all about the job, but still take your money.
I'll be making some in the next month or so, so if you can hang on a bit, you can have a proper one

No worries

Cheers for the feedback.
The blokes I'm going to see do a lot of work for my company making precision laboratory filling equipment, and they've said they'll do it for 'a drink for the lads' I have no idea if they know about Lambda sensor or not, I was trying to get as much info up front as possible. They've been honest enough to say 'let's have a look and we'll let you know if we can do it'.
Good point about stressing the downpipes, I'm thinking of leaving them the original cat box as a pattern while I'm away for a few weeks. For the sake of a few quid I figure it's gotta be worth a try.
As you may have guessed I'm working to a budget (wife, 3 kids and f*@k off mortgage to support). So if this goes tits up I'll be banging on Vern's in box for details.

Back
Top Bottom