Electric start problem.

Hew

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My KLX is a Jap market Electric start only model.
For the past two outings I have been having problems with the starter working intermittently and had to bump start it a couple of times.
I have now found that it starts every time it is in neutral but will not start with the clutch pulled in either in neutral or in gear. I have :rtfm but it only covers western market kick start models. I assume that the problem is with the primary start circuit. Is there a switch or something that allows the starter to work with the clutch pulled in.
Has anyone had this problem with any Jap bike? I am assuming that they all work in a similar way.
Thanks

Dont know if it helps..

Hi Hew, Thanks for the guided tour last night..
I dont know if it may be linked or not, but your rear brake light was flashing on a lot of time whilst we were on the road sections. I think your sensor might be loose.

Clutch switch - on handlebars
or
sidestand switch - by the sidestand

Hi Hew, Thanks for the guided tour last night..
I dont know if it may be linked or not, but your rear brake light was flashing on a lot of time whilst we were on the road sections. I think your sensor might be loose.
Thanks Rocks, how did you feel this morning? You've certainly got the hang of riding the DRZ now. Well done.

Clutch switch - on handlebars
or
sidestand switch - by the sidestand
I've just fitted higher bars so the clutch switch is a possible though I couldn't see any loose connections. The wire appears to go to a type of relay and this does make a click when the starter is pressed but not every time.
Thanks
Eddie

Not bad..

Strangle my arms depsite really feeling it toward the end of last night, were ok. My knees however..lol. Ouchy.. a couple of high speed touchdowns i think jared em pretty good.

Took the DRZ out for a quick blast tonight, with the new indicators and stock pipe.. cannot really see much power difference, but much quieter, though still pretty present when openned up.

On your prob, i have a multimeter if its of any help to you. My electical knowledge is pretty basic. But what ever it is, its intermittant, so has to be some form of moving/non static part/wire break. A few continuity checks might be worth a try.

Problem found.

It was the clutch switch. There is a slight amount of adjustment available on the screws that hold the switch. It is likely that I must have pulled on the cable when fitting higher bars and moved this switch. Readjusted now so that it works when the clutch is pulled fully in.

Time for fun..

Glad to hear you got it fixed, and without a big bill..lol.

Give me a shout when your free for some more lanes.

Will do Rocks.
Had a bit of weird start to the TRF run yesterday. There was only the one man there and we could not contact the run leader. After little while he said that he had no real knowledge of the lanes but he did have a GPS log of a previous run. From which we may be able to at least do a couple of lanes if I was willing.
Seven hours latter we arrived back at the car park absolutely shattered. That little GPS had pinpointed the start of all the lanes.
So what looked like been a non starter turned into a cracking day, I've got the bruises to prove it after a couple of offs.
Regards

Nice one..

Sounds like it turn out alright in the end.. nice to hear.

Back
Top Bottom