What GPS Should I get

Uinneag

Descision making time

Garmain Zumo or the 2610
What do you recommend or A N Other

Europe trip in the summer and I am looking for easy use quality product that can be relied on
I got a Tom Tom Rider and it hasn't worked properly since I got it in fact it's shite

Getting a new 2610 might be a bit problematic :(

But if you can get one second hand, then unless the Zumo is massively better I'd get a 2610. If you're thinking of buying off ebay, be very wary. ;)

The Only Yin You Need

Is a good Map
<iframe frameborder="1" height="800" scrolling="auto" src="http://www.pubinnguide.com/search.asp" width="780"></iframe></font></p>

Oonyack,
I bought the Zumo 550 - works well with my mobile phone & Starcom1 intercom, has the whole of Europe preloaded, also has it's own internal rechargeable battery so you can use it for four hours unplugged.:clap
I mounted it on my 12GSA with a Motorrad Concepts bracket. I have a load of MP3s in it and I got a 2Gig SD card off 7dayshop.com. It also works well in the car. Hope this helps.

Regards

Phil:thumb

Well I have recently bought the Zumo 550.

I looked at various models but what I liked about this one was that straight out of the box, I was able to switch it on easily with gloved hand, look though the touch screen menu, look up an address and find the route quickly, can change between shortest and quickest route and yes there are some scenic differencies as I found Saturday on my bike!!

The Points of Interest are useful, especially when low on fuel, in need of a bank or new in an area and need a beverage or food!!

Not sure 4 hour battery life is correct - I am sure its longer as Saturdays run was without a power lead!

I have not yet hooked up to Bluetooth or an Intercom (that is next on my list) but the screen was really clear to read on the move, the speed camera warnings are quite good although I may need to update on the web. Was quick to recalculate if I purposefully took a different direction.

It has a safe mode to stop you setting if it senses you on the move; but this can be overridden.

I have the standard mounting kit on my girlfriends bike and from Motorrad Concepts bought the Zumo power lead with Canbus connector already fitted as well as their Bike Mount for the 12GSA. All installed, very well made and positioned just above the speedo makes for easy viewing on the road. We can now switch the unit between bikes.

I am well pleased with this piece of kit and cannot wait to try it out further afield. We are off to France in June, and I have already looked up the route and places we are staying on it so should have no trouble with the nav on the day.

All the best with whatever you choose.

J:thumb

Well I have recently bought the Zumo 550.

I looked at various models but what I liked about this one was that straight out of the box, I was able to switch it on easily with gloved hand, look though the touch screen menu, look up an address and find the route quickly, can change between shortest and quickest route and yes there are some scenic differencies as I found Saturday on my bike!!

The Points of Interest are useful, especially when low on fuel, in need of a bank or new in an area and need a beverage or food!!

The 2610 also does all of this.

I think the answer here comes down to how much cash do you want to spend. I bought the 2610 and it does the job, I paid £170. The Zumo 550 has lots more attractive bells and whistles and also does the job, but costs £550. How much do you value the bells and whistles like the mp3 player etc. The Zumo is also more pocketable and runs on a battery whereas the 2610 only works when connected and is a bit chunkier off the bike.
Have a great trip whatever you go for. I am off to Germany and Denmark this Summer, but as it's a family holiday I'll be in the car. I'll just have to go back on the GS sometime when the kids are bigger.

Hiya,

I did not say it didn't, I was saying what the Zumo did and how good I thought the Zumo was as that is what I have.

I tried to order a 2610 from Global Positioning Systems; they took the order and sat on it for a week and after chasing them I found they were out of stock and could not supply so I told them to cancel. That was my involvement with a 2610 - so I got the Zumo instead for £498 inc. postage - it is also up to date with sopares available for what I wanted to do.

You pays your money at the end of the day and get what you pay for; choices are limitless and it all comes down to personal choice, money available etc etc etc.

Cheers

J

Is the 2610 readily available or has it been discontinued ??

If it can't be bought, then is the Zumo next best choice?

Ideally I want one that can be switched between bike and car and will give me good coverage of northern Europe and Sweden.

If using it on and off road i would suggest you get a GARMIN ETREX VISTA C/CX or a ETREX LEGEND C(not sure which is the CX models).

But be aware if you go with these,the screen is small and you also need to buy mapsource or have a mate who has it and loads it on for you as a second unit(Garmin allows a second unit registry on the same copy of mapsource...whether this is illegal or not i dont know).

I have a 2610 which i use for the roads AND an etrex vista(not a C) which i use for green laning.
The C with mapsource loaded will do both functions.:thumb2

Never seen it used in a car so cant comment there.

OOoonyack....
Trust me. Garmin SP2720 is the kiddie:thumb2

NT. = New Technology:bounce1

I have a brand, spanking new 2610 that I bought as a "back-up" unit for my existing 2610 when prices dropped to £200. It has City Navigator v.8 and as I say, it has never been unpacked. It is eligible for v.9 when it is registered. If one of you is interested, I may be prepared to part with it for the price that I paid plus postage. If no one on this thread is interested, I may ask for this post to be placed the "For Sale" section. I'm not interested in best offer or highest bidder, just the price that I paid for it plus postage. PM me if you are interested.

I have a brand, spanking new 2610 that I bought as a "back-up" unit for my existing 2610 when prices dropped to £200. It has City Navigator v.8 and as I say, it has never been unpacked. It is eligible for v.9 when it is registered. If one of you is interested, I may be prepared to part with it for the price that I paid plus postage. If no one on this thread is interested, I may ask for this post to be placed the "For Sale" section. I'm not interested in best offer or highest bidder, just the price that I paid for it plus postage. PM me if you are interested.

You have pmt:thumb

Back
Top Bottom