v-strom 1000

Mate of mine has one, he rode it on a trip to France with me on the GS. He swears by it, couldn't afford a GS at the time so went the VStrom route. Said he felt the handling was not quite on a par with the GS but close enough and great engine. Feckin' ugly though and that's coming from a GS owner:eek:

JDH

Mate of mine has one, he rode it on a trip to France with me on the GS. He swears by it, couldn't afford a GS at the time so went the VStrom route. Said he felt the handling was not quite on a par with the GS but close enough and great engine. Feckin' ugly though and that's coming from a GS owner:eek:

JDH

my riding buddy http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103638 is in the process of buying a 1200GS so im toying with the idea of of buying a big Dual Sport type bike to ride with him and was looking at the used prices and the V-Stroms are/look to be a absolute steal

just throwing ideas around at the moment,so thankyou for your feedback :thumb2

good news first!
good handling, poky motor, good for blatting and touring, (handle bar risers needed for good riding position), must haves, centre stand (optional extra!!!)
heated grips????
yes it is ugly....but relative to a GS...maybe not that bad:eek:
MUST visit the owners forums first and find out all the stuff that would be useful to know about before buying....like the engine vibration at low revs (just knocking about town in traffic), which my buddy tells me drives him nuts...and is something to do with the type of clutch fitted (clutch basket rattle), on the TL etc etc they have a slipper clutch that dont do this!! cannot be permanently fixed, even if modified, apparently!:blast
then there is the build quality... lacquer on engine casings goes pdq, leaving an awful mess of corroded alloy...
but cheap as chips compared to a GS:augie

As an ex-strom owner not all stroms have the idle hammer as described above, and so long as you keep them clean the lacquer on the engine and general paint work will stay, but you need plenty of ACF50.
If your in the market for a 2nd hand one try looking at Kawasaki KLV it's a strom rebadged for kawasaki and you will find it cheaper, but they are only in orange

my riding buddy http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103638 is in the process of buying a 1200GS so im toying with the idea of of buying a big Dual Sport type bike to ride with him and was looking at the used prices and the V-Stroms are/look to be a absolute steal

just throwing ideas around at the moment,so thankyou for your feedback :thumb2

had you considered a BMW GS? i hear they're quite good :augie

If you must have orange it soooo has to be a KTM Adventure.Best bike i ever owned by far and boy have i owned a few:D and yes, i did own a GS previous to the KTM. Great bike for the over sixties:hide

had you considered a BMW GS? i hear they're quite good :augie

was looking at older 1100/1150GS's but for the same money i could get a MUCH newer/new V-Strom so had to be worth asking

like i said earlyer just throwing ideas around at the moment :)

plus my g/f said i was to young to buy a GS anyway :confused:

i just rang george whites,going for a demo ride tomorrow :cool:

cheers again all

i just rang george whites,going for a demo ride tomorrow :cool:

cheers again all

there was an ex demo in the side window 2 weeks ago.
can't remember the price:blast
mates has one he luuvvvvs it.:thumb

george whites were to busy to give any demo rides at all today as they had the open day ...i got there early and there were only a handfull of people there so imho i could have gone out without causing a problem-i was told on the phone "if were not to busy we will get you out on one"
... i will get a ride next sat morning anyway

i did look at 2 differant V-Strom1000's both 03 both 10kish ,both teribble cosmetic condition corosion on the engine on all the front edges and the oil coolers/hangers were red rusty :( plus one of them had panel damage from being dropped ,wish i had photographed them both now:( it kinda took the wind out of my sails tbh.

my blade is 6 years old and MINT! (the salemans words)

maybee im expecting ALOT but those two bikes i saw were in sh~t order! :nenau

My mate had a strom 1000 which i have been on a few times. Pulls like a train with that big vtwin engine and the lights are some of the best on a bike. Brakes are crap. Doesn't feel as good as the GS1150 to ride. He came with me to the alps last summer and didnt enjoy it at all - said the bike didn't give him any confidence on the twisty passes. Sold it after a year.

My boss just bought one at a cracking price fully loaded with all the panniers etc.

I had one, it was terrible,

Idle hammer lol

backfiring, blew the baffles out of one end can,

would sit ticking over at traffic lights then stall just as the lights would change.

buffeting, the worst bike ever for that, my wife on the back had double vision.

shit finish

weaving @ 85 with luggage on, full lane to lane weave

unrideable until nearly 4000 revs, sounded like something trying to escape form the casings

IT WAS SHIT

I tested one before getting the GS.
Idle hammer, something to do with emmision control I recall the dealer saying. I think that the 650 BMs do this as well, but the Strom is way more pronounced. BUT, this thing suffered from surging.........big time. Engine was brilliant, but at the time, the asking price was nigh on £7,000 brand new ( I think)

Try the 650 instead. If you want a race bike it's not for you but it cruises happily at 85/90 and still gives 60 MPG. Weighs a lot less too.

Cracking deals for new ones with ABS - £99 down and 3 years interest free. Now comes with topbox and centre stand = Mighty tempting really as you can get crashbars, bash plates and even TT lights for them.​

ive had one for four months now fully loaded luggage h/ grips c/stand ect
6 months old 900miles five grand
no problems with the engine or fuelling at all ..its a peach
fit and finish are ok so far ..only 4000 mile up though ...
frame savers are good to put on early as your boots rubaway the paint
the later models are the ones to go far if you can ...all fueling problems are dialled out ..the engine will do slow town work glitch free
the 6th o/drive gear makes relaxed 100mph criusing a cinch
new raising links on the rear [up 1inch] iron out the tendancy for the front wanting to push wide when cornering hard and add clearance as you can ground the pegs pushing really hard
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZU...008QQitemZ180109542165QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V
getting 43 mpg .during general use more when doing distance using the o/drive top gear .the warning bar flashes with 5 litres to go [annoying ] only takes 16.5 litres when you stop [22ltre tank ] the countdown system gs style is better ..
big fast comfy handles well ..great engine .. as good as anything for two up comfort
but if you get the touring one you will have to move the box back three inches as it encroaches on the pillion seat
just a template and extesion plate required ...
check out madstad brackets for the best screen youll ever have

http://www.madstad.com/servlet/Detail?no=10
no complaints very capable bike....

Attachments

• 640 macy.jpg
    640 macy.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 283
ive had one for four months now fully loaded luggage h/ grips c/stand ect
6 months old 900miles five grand
no problems with the engine or fuelling at all ..its a peach
fit and finish are ok so far ..only 4000 mile up though ...
frame savers are good to put on early as your boots rubaway the paint
the later models are the ones to go far if you can ...all fueling problems are dialled out ..the engine will do slow town work glitch free
the 6th o/drive gear makes relaxed 100mph criusing a cinch
new raising links on the rear [up 1inch] iron out the tendancy for the front wanting to push wide when cornering hard and add clearance as you can ground the pegs pushing really hard
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZU...008QQitemZ180109542165QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V
getting 43 mpg .during general use more when doing distance using the o/drive top gear .the warning bar flashes with 5 litres to go [annoying ] only takes 16.5 litres when you stop [22ltre tank ] the countdown system gs style is better ..
big fast comfy handles well ..great engine .. as good as anything for two up comfort
but if you get the touring one you will have to move the box back three inches as it encroaches on the pillion seat
just a template and extesion plate required ...
check out madstad brackets for the best screen youll ever have

http://www.madstad.com/servlet/Detail?no=10
no complaints very capable bike....

How does it compare wth the vardaro?

Back
Top Bottom