Sydney - Brisbane

JJ1

Hi,

Off to Oz later this year :)

Has anyone had experiance of 1 way GS Hire Sydney to Brisbane :confused:

I'm from Brisbane and a couple of years ago you couldn't hire a GS in Brisbane. Things might have changed though.:nenau

I've done it in a car, its a long way (11 hours). Most of the roads are pretty straight and dull dual carriageway/motorway, though obviously plenty to see and do just off the main route if you were touring. Watch out for speed cops, they just park up around a bend in huge Holden Turbocharged Saloons, then flip down some kind of doppler radar gadget on their windscreen pillars and ping you. Do not get caught speeding through roadworks as there are "double-demerit points" for speeders, and also they have periods where they very publically get hot on speeding eg bank holidays, again with double points for offenders. It'll be on the radio/TV and if you get caught its a fair cop.

Enjoy the holiday.:thumb2 :beer: :Motomartin

I've done it in a car, its a long way (11 hours). Most of the roads are pretty straight and dull dual carriageway/motorway, though obviously plenty to see and do just off the main route if you were touring. Watch out for speed cops, they just park up around a bend in huge Holden Turbocharged Saloons, then flip down some kind of doppler radar gadget on their windscreen pillars and ping you. Do not get caught speeding through roadworks as there are "double-demerit points" for speeders, and also they have periods where they very publically get hot on speeding eg bank holidays, again with double points for offenders. It'll be on the radio/TV and if you get caught its a fair cop.

Enjoy the holiday.:thumb2 :beer: :Motomartin

Nah, don't take the coast road, head down to Glen Innes and then to Bathurst. Take in a lap of the race track.

Take some of the back roads too, but make sure that you have plenty of fuel. If it's a dirt road, your motor will use much more fuel than on the highway and there aren't too many filling stations.

Allow 2 - 3 days

Greg

Brisbane - Sydney

JJ1,
Forget the highway down the coast, go the inland route.
Inland has much less traffic.
The New England Highway is the obvious inland route, however there is plenty of room for improvisation.
A must see is the fantastic motorcycle museum in Tamworth - even has a motel attached.
As suggested above, have a look at the race track and museum at Bathurst. This is well off the New England Hway but worth the effort.
Someone above is off base with advice re speeding..:rob
Roadworks speed limits are enforcable, and carry the normal points.
Double de-merit points are lost on public holiday weekends and Easter/Xmas periods. These great opportunities to blow your licence are well advertised.

Most Police vehicles are marked ( checkered bands, lights etc ).
Highway Patrol vehicles are SS Commodores (Holden) & XR6/XR8 Fords.
The XR6's are turbo'ed 4 litre 6 cyclinder jobbies, the XR8 & the SS Commodores are fitted with thumping great V8's. Rarely you will see a K1200GT or R1150RT out of the metro area ( Syd & Bris ).

40km/h speed zones exist around schools and are occassionaly enforced.
These zones are only active 8.30am - 9.30am & 2.30pm - 4pm and are clearly sign posted. The best part of the enforcement is that it usually gets the mothers running late in their 4WD bringing little Kylie to school :clap

Exceed the limit by more than 40km/h, and you get a bonus.
Your licence can be suspended ON THE SPOT. That means you walk from HERE. Other silly acts can see your vehicle impounded.

The above information is accurate for the state of New South Wales, but as you are travelling Bris - Syd, this is where you will be for most of your trip.

All roads carry advisory signs as to the prevailing speed limits.
Drink/driving is frowned upon - 0.05 limit generally. Zero for Learners and P platers.

I had a flip through a number of magazines for rental places but came up blank.

I am sure someone will be along shortly with a big list for you to choose from

cheers
gregGS

I know a place that does it

Try http://www.ozmoto.com/

I didn't use them myself for one way hire but I hired their 1150 GS in Brisbane for the day in December 06. It was a bit rough around the edges but it was mechanically sound.

Customer service wise the bloke I dealt with couldn't have been nicer. He let me use his own BMW jacket for the day, no qualms at all.

There was a pretty hefty deposit if I recall correctly, but I guess that is no big surprise.

It isn't a big operation so I'd get in touch with them ASAP to secure the dates you want.

Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom