PDA

View Full Version : Central Police Crackdown

Wicker
17-04-07, 19:00
Unlucky Friday 13th for some riders. Strathclyde Police also seemed to be out in numbers on Sunday 15th. Three police vehicles seen between Inverary and Arrochar and a radar trap at Arrochar itself.

It appears that Central Police have a creative jobsworth who has renamed part of the Traffic Unit as a Collision Prevention Unit. How exactly do they prevent random collision incidents ? Apart from these targeted days you raarely see traffic police (just those scamera vans) and it shows in the general poor standard of driving. Perhaps the collision prevention unit should also arrange for some of the potholes to be filled in!

Anyone else notice how the police link a high profile ploce event where speeding is the main target with a follow up statement highlighting biking casualties. The clear inference is that the riders were to blame by not taking sensibnel precautions. No mention of the actual cause of the accidents which could have been entirely due to other vehicles or factor such as poor road surface, weather, etc even where the rider had been 'sensible'.

Maybe I should have posted this in the rant section!

Twenty offences detected, Friday, 13th April 2007

Twenty offences were detected last Saturday as police targeted motorcyclists.

Sixteen were given conditional offers for speeding and other offences, two had no tax and two were issued with vehicle defect notices.

The day long operation was carried out on the A84/85 in the Callander and Tyndrum area.

Constable Andrew Starkie of the force’s Collision Prevention Unit, said: “We have warned that we are actively patrolling the areas that appeal to motorcyclists and we are doing so. We understand why the roads in our area appeal to motorcyclists. But we want everyone to arrive at their destination safely.”

Last year there were 24 collisions involving bikers – that was nearly double on the year before.

Of the 24 collisions – two were fatal, eight were classified as serious, 11 were slight and three were damage only.

Constable Starkie added: “There were 20 offences detected in one day and that is 20 too many – motorcyclists need to take sensible precautions to look after themselves while on the road as well as other road users.”

SpyInTheCamp
17-04-07, 19:09
Hardly surpising given the two sad deaths in the Borders last week. (Plus a number of other serious car accidents across the Borders and D&G.)

The 'usual suspects' (i.e. A68, A708, A72 etc.) will be crawling with Lothian & Borders finest on the next few sunny weekends.

You can't be surprised or blame them either as 'the public' (whoever they are) will be asking them "what are you doing about it?".

Kai

cutmorej
17-04-07, 19:48
one of our mates got nicked last saturday a7 hawick to selkirk,coppers said o tolerance for bikers at w/ends looks like i better get me super fast car out then :nenau

zdaveuk
17-04-07, 19:49
"No mention of the actual cause of the accidents which could have been entirely due to other vehicles or factor such as poor road surface, weather, etc even where the rider had been 'sensible'"

so basically the rider was blameless? think I`ve read somewhere ride at a speed that suits the conditions and be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear on your side of the road.

At the end of the day an increased police present cant be a bad thing if it stops the needless deaths of motorcyclists, otherwise they will bring in legislation to take bikes off the road, and no one wants that

snodog
17-04-07, 20:02
Twenty offences detected, Friday, 13th April 2007

Twenty offences were detected last Saturday as police targeted motorcyclists.

Sixteen were given conditional offers for speeding and other offences, two had no tax and two were issued with vehicle defect notices.

The day long operation was carried out on the A84/85 in the Callander and Tyndrum area.

Last year there were 24 collisions involving bikers that was nearly double on the year before.

Of the 24 collisions two were fatal, eight were classified as serious, 11 were slight and three were damage only.

I'm certainly not one to claim that bikers are blameless, in fact we are often our own worst enemy . Easy to hear someone thrashing their way up the gearbox at full revs with what seems a non existant exhaust....

But, 1. I wonder how many cars/vans would be caught if a simialr day long operation was carried out with whatever criteria they used to target bikes.
And 2. How many collisions were there altogether in that area last year? Is 24 a huge %age of the total?

Statistics can be used in all sorts of creative ways - especially when you only get to see some of the numbers.

Gordon
17-04-07, 21:14
Spoke to a couple of Lothian and Borders Police guys who reckoned that regular weekend 'speeders' in Lothian and Borders would end of with 3 points on their licence before the end of summer. The focus will be on monitoring speed on 'A' roads and small villages where perceived problems exist.

The pressure is on to monitor speed on a number of L&B roads to reduce accident rates and fatalities - right or wrong, speed cameras, unmarked bikes will be out when the sun shines.

Now got the maps out to find roads where 60 is scarey

Cheers.

Phil Clarke
18-04-07, 12:02
Simple solution - if you are going to speed do it in wet weather!
these random police road blocks are a pain - last year i got stopped twice for no reason to have some copper measuring up my number plate. Last time this happend was 15 years a go when I rode a dodgy Suzuki X7 with allspeeds and a microdot number plate, I don't expect it on a sensible BM...

SpyInTheCamp
18-04-07, 16:12
Simple solution - if you are going to speed do it in wet weather!
Or avoid weekends or avoid the fast A roads and go for the more interesting B and unclassifieds. Leave the sportbikes to get pulled.

Kai

columbus
19-04-07, 21:58
Always the same. At the start of spring hit the bikes. Next it will be hit the caravans. In between it will be another initiative with the focus on speeders seatbelts and mobile phones

Phil Clarke
20-04-07, 14:18
Or avoid weekends or avoid the fast A roads and go for the more interesting B and unclassifieds. Leave the sportbikes to get pulled.

Kai

Ssh
Don't tell anybody all they'll all be using them!

Packer
20-04-07, 16:24
If the police forces launched an initiative to stop cars with flat/underinflated tyres they could multiply the speeding "success" figures by a factor of 10!

Ever since I was overtaken on the motorway 20 years ago by a big Merc Estate with a flat which disintegrated 200yds ahead of me with interesting results I've taught myself to look out for vehicles with flatties. It's scary how many there are. Every one potentially lethal:(

Never mind, it's Friday:beer: :beer: :beer: