I Think I Must Be Getting Old

sjwb

Reaction score
I think that I must be getting old!
Looking for a change / addition of motorcycle, I happened upon the Yamaha FJR1300 and thought. “Mmmm, that could fit the bill.” “Modern, powerful, smooth, good lineage this could be just what I am looking for.”
Ah well, perhaps not. But, let me explain.
I contacted my local dealer and in accordance with their good reputation said “Come on over and try it at your leisure.”
They say that you do not get a second chance to make a first impression and this went through my mind as I prepared to set off on the test run.
Sat on it, very comfortable, the bars felt a little high and too swept rearwards, but the WEIGHT! Talk about top heavy, I thought that I may topple over and this with a quarter full gas tank, no dragon or panniers.
“Keep calm, let’s start the motor and get on with it.”
As I trickled thought the traffic (lovely transmission, wobbly clutch) and headed out of town, I could not get the weight distribution thing from my mind but tried to be objective about the rest of the thing. No front rebound damping, 15mm of free play at the throttle and very wooden brakes. Regarding the first two, why can’t dealers (from which they expect a sale) set bikes up correctly in the first place?
At last, a sensible approach, a manufacturer that realizes that 5 gears are enough and in concert with a superb engine a tribute to that decision. What an engine. So powerful and linear in its delivery - barring a little programmed excitement at the 8000 mark. But now the major problem rears its head. Engine heat, this being transferred back with devastating efficiency to the rider’s thighs and nether regions. I became uncomfortable after only 5 miles and it made no difference whether going quickly or slowly. The ambient? 23 Celsius, so, what would it be like in the South of France?
It has an electrically adjustable windshield.
Why? I found little difference between buffeting or more buffeting.
Yes it went round corners and the suspension kept the wheels on the road most of the time, but I don’t really remember much else. A good sign because nothing offended other than the thought of the £1000 excess should one throw it up the road. Read for this that I didn’t attempt to get the pegs down!
I then discovered the true tester of a motorcycle, my wife! Having taken it home for her to see (I thought it only fair considering the amount of time she could spend on the back) her first comment was.
“Isn’t it small.”
A valid comment considering that our current bike is as tall as a block of flats. But then she opined that it looked ugly. Now that was a slap in the face for the poor FJR, because in reality we already have the ugliest bike on the planet! However, the final blow was delivered with scalpel-like precision.
“It looks cheap.”
Indeed upon further investigation it probably does. Yes, the paint is without blemish and flawlessly applied, but appears to be about 2 microns thick. In other words, you do not look into it, only at it. The enormous mufflers thankfully mask the unpleasant swing arm assembly.
OK let’s cut to the chase and please bear in mind that this is only a set of impressions, not a definitive road test.
I would not buy one.
Simple as that really and I wonder how many other people have come to the same conclusion in such a short acquaintance, not only of this particular machine, but any other.
To my mind the FJR is searching for an identity, which does not, if truth be told, include tourer. A Pan Euro it isn’t, but if it has a soul brother I feel that it may be the Hyabusa or at a push the anodyne Blackbird. Junk the panniers and adjustable windshield, up the engine power a tad and away you go.
So back onto the GS and away for home. Ah that feels good.
Before I finish let me declare that as I said to the salesman following his comment “I bet that’s not what you are used to.”
“Please do not judge me by what I am riding today.” I have owned just about every bike you can think of over the last 40 years.
I’ve been riding my son’s GSXR1000 recently and have no complaints whatsoever. That is a stunning machine and is almost faultless.
So, where does that leave me? My GS has so many flaws but incongruously, I find it quite delightful. In fact, it must have something for one to overlook the lack of power, uncomfortable seats, lousy night capability, death rattle at start up, self changing transmission, a left hand pannier that is only there to make up the numbers, excessive weight and bandit like over pricing by the manufacturer. On the last point, I reckon that it must cost all of seven and six to make a GS!
As I say, where does that leave me? I want another bike but have no idea what to consider.
Any suggestions?

My somewhat similar experience:
After my previous bike ( a F650 GS from 2000) is was looking for a new bike, for all-year driving (no car, always use the bike).

After extensive research on forums and the internet in general (and searching my soul what design I like) I narrowed my list down to 3 bikes:
1. BMW R1150 GS/Adventure
2. BMW R1150 RT
3. Yamaha FJR 1300

I wanted shaftdrive, ABS, comfortable sit (read: no race bike).
The 3 bikes above have these things. So to the dealers I went, first to the Yamaha.
Having seen many pictures from the FJR 1300 and read a lot of stuff about it seemed like a very good and nice looking bike, with a good deal of power. The moment I walked into the Yamaha dealership and saw the FJR 1300 for the first time in real life, I was immediately disappointed by its looks, so bad that after a 5 min talk to the salesrep, I just left and never came back (the salesrep even offered me a 1500 euro starting-discount!) . I didn't even sat on it! Plain and simple: I just didn't like it, despite all its qualities. There was no spark. The FJR just tries to hard to be so many different things: comfortable for 2, powerful, windprotection, race look, touring-look.... these things may be present but the result isn't my cup of tea.
Strange how a bike seems rather nice but in real life hugely disappoints.

Then the 2 beemers were left. Eventually turned out to be the R1150 GS. The RT had more comfort but the fun-factor on the GS made the decision.
Have done 2200 km in 14 days and never had so much fun (and cash down the drain for aftermarket parts). Really love that bike.

Now, what other bike would I consider? Well, I'm very curious about the new GS-model(s) coming starting next year.

Furthermore, once if I have some money to spare (read: when I bought enough extra stuff for the GS) I will buy a Ducati 748 or 998 (Tamburini-styling). Just for fun-use. This bike has captured my heart since it was released. But due to it's impracticality for everyday use and a lack of funds, I haven't bought it (yet). But what a great bike, it just breaths true italian power, design and spirit. A dream...

Now for a more reasonable choice in nowadays motorrange, I don't see a lot of models that really appeal to me (I have an odd taste:confused: ), but I would certainly look at:

BMW R1100 Race Replica
BMW R1150 RT
KTM 950 Adventure (S)
Triumph Tiger

Just my 5 cents :D

My 2d worth...

The RT is the most comfortable bike of all those mentioned above. Buffeting? what buffetting, fit the largest BMW screen and you can cruise all day at 100mph+, I haven't come across any bike that has the "presence" that an RT has, including LTs and Goldwings, thats based on riding and having mine parked outside one of the busiest bars in my area.
You can really get an RT down on the twisties and I've had to pull over and wait for guys on SPORTStourers to catch up

Like the GS, there's a shed load of extras you can buy to make a great bike even better, or is it just a case of wanting to spend more money???

However.. I don't tour all the time and my panniers/topbox are under a good layer of dust from lack of use, the radio is my most unused toy and there are places you just can't, or at least I wouldn't want to, go on an RT.
It's therefore not, IMHO, a good "only 1 bike" type of bike and I'm thinking of getting an F650 Dakar to play on, although my BMW dealer has lent me a TransAlp while they replace the transmission seals on the RT:rolleyes:...and I quite like it!

Back
Top Bottom