Evo probs

2 zed

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, I have a noise problem with my Evo unit, my mate is deafened by the sound of what I assume is my alternator when we talk bike to bike, I am running MP3, phone and sat nav off the unit plus a pillion with no probs at all it is only when I transmit. I have a 1150GS with ABS and servo a bike powered A80 radio with power taken from the rear light and an aerial extention, Intaride suggested removing the earth from the evo and letting it earth through the radio, tried this but no joy, also if I power the radio from its own battery then no interference. I was just wondering if any one here had experinced similar and managed to resolve it. :bow

Fingers crossed.

Can you not take the power from the back of the Aux power socket under the seat, This is something Autocom do

I have a similar problem and tried all ways to fix it, turns out to be the bike lacking suppression, probably a coil apparently. Should get it into the dealers tomorrow so fingers crossed.
Try disconnecting the radio from the bike completely but keep the lead to the Evo attached to the radio but not the Evo, this will cancel the mic.
Now start the bike and blip the throttle whilst pressing the transmit button on the radio, if your mate still gets the same results then you have to same problem I have!

evo probs

Cheers guys I will try that Shenzi, I will be interested to know how you got on at dealers I would hate to think I bought a power pack I can't use.

Went to the dealers this afternoon and they reckon they can't do anything! We tried another 2 12GSAs and a 12GS with exactly the same results as with mine.
The dealer said he thinks the police used some special doohickey to alleviate this problem so now I need to ask the Gendarmes!

evo probs

Heavens it's starting to get serious now my friend. Is a doohickey French for a whatsit? :D

Had alot of interence when the GPS (Garmin) was bike powered, Intaride supplied a suppressed lead which cured it completely, might work with you bike to bike as well :nenau

Heavens it's starting to get serious now my friend. Is a doohickey French for a whatsit? :D

No, it is American I think :D
Just been messing with the radio again, if I attach the illegal remote antenna and hold it near the back of the bike it seems OK according to my wife :nenau So I have fixed the antenna now and I will install the radio again and try it with my mate tomorrow.

Nedflanders, I am in touch with Intaride and they will have a play with a 12GSA next week, good guys!

I've been using one of those remote antenna as well, my radio is in my ( givi) top box with the antenna coming out the top, not exactly well hidden but hey ho, i'm going to spend a bit of time changing things over the w/end if I have any luck I will post it.:thumb

Terayon I am looking for a switched live so the radio comes on automatically, Intaride said the tail light live I am using should be a clean supply so I am hoping its not that.

Nedflanders where did you pick up your sat nav live from?

Terayon I am looking for a switched live so the radio comes on automatically, Intaride said the tail light live I am using should be a clean supply so I am hoping its not that.

I wired mine direct to the battery with an inline fuse, thought it might be that so I disconnected everything attached to the bike and still got the interference.
For your info my GPS is connected to the battery with an inline fuse.
I have ordered a switch to take the blank place on the foglamp switch and I will use that to on/off the bike to bike radio, the intercom and the GPS.

Nedflanders where did you pick up your sat nav live from?

I've got a centech fuse panel that was originally powered from the aux socket, had to rewire it straight to the battery after the guys at intaride informed me it should have a permanent feed, plus the fog lights I fitted tripped out the aux socket as they were drawing more than the 5amps the socket allows you.

Just a thought but it's not uncommon for earth loops to cause these problems and an external aerial will probably be earthed to the bike chasis, if so, that will create another loop so it might be worth disconnecting the aerial earth. If it's OK with a battery pack then try disconnecting the earth to the radio.

I get a bit of noise on transmit but I reckon that's getting picked up by the routing of the PTT button cable. It's not too bad but I plan to re-route the cable and possibly shield it with alli foil. The power take off from the aux socket seems quite clean and on it's own doesn't give any interference/noise so I would think it's more likely cable routing or earth loops. Some of the autocom radio leads come with a little box that seems to have an isolation circuit in, others don't.

BTW there's no point in using an external aerial if you fit in a plastic top-box such as Givi or BMW Vario.

Back
Top Bottom