How to paint aluminium calipers

ELIMINATOR

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK, what paint should I use? I was hoping just to use Smooth Hammerite, now after doing some research, it looks as if I've also got to use an aluminium primer:thedummy More bloody time. Has anyone painted bike calipers, what did you use?

Zinc primer, expensive but does work. You are best of getting them annodised - lots of companies will do it cheaply.

Reread - Powder/plastic coating is your best bet as paint and annodising will get chipped from the stones. The plastic coating has minimal rebound properties, but enough to resist chipping.

Anodising to an industrial standard won't chip, trouble is that (in the process we have done at work) it adds 0,025 to external surfaces, as well as penetrating by the same amount. Don't fancy getting this done though:eek:

I've tried tapping out G1/4" thread after anodising, completely knackered the tap.

Should have said, it's a rear caliper, so more protected from stone chipping.

Asked the painters at work........................... "What, you mean like what's in this spray can?":thumb :thumb2 :clap

Etch primer for aluminium . Any good trade motor factors will sell it in an spray can

Theirs was free:D , Not wanting to buy a whole can just to use such a small amount.

Anodising to an industrial standard won't chip, trouble is that (in the process we have done at work) it adds 0,025 to external surfaces, as well as penetrating by the same amount. Don't fancy getting this done though:eek:

I've tried tapping out G1/4" thread after anodising, completely knackered the tap.

Should have said, it's a rear caliper, so more protected from stone chipping.

The process of anodising also hardens the outer skin of the aluminium by a factor of 10,000 (yes, ten thousand) which is probably why your taps had problems. It's not electroplating, its a surface conversion process which alters the structure of the metal.

If your going to paint don't forget the calipers get hot so you really need heat resistant paint.

Back
Top Bottom