Sold the GS, bought a DRZ.. review

snoopy

I took the plunge and bought a DRZ. Lost about 2.3k on the BMW over 18 months as the market is saturated with 1150's. Sure it's nice to ride but there is no getting away from the fact it's too heavy, complex, and drinks fuel. Having averaged 35-38mpg commuting over March I decided enough was enough. I've also wanted to do long distance touring - where I don't have to worry about the obscene cost of BMW spare parts or picking the bloody thing back up (cue Morocco incident).

I wanted a DR650. Supply has dwindled because Suzuki hasn't imported them over the last few years - while demand for uncomplicated large thumpers has soared. A knackered 1999 model with 22k miles on it was going for £1,500 and that's about all I found in three month of hunting.

The DRZ400S however has been imported and sold like no tomorrow, and second hand prices are rather low. A 2002 low mileage can be had for around the £1,500 mark. The DRZ costs more than the DR650 in the US and for it you are getting more sophistication in terms of excellent suspension and a water cooled engine.

So off I went and bought a 3,000 mile, 52 plate DRZ400S for £1,700, which comes with a few extras I'll sell for £200. It's in great condition but I have to say I was full of fear. Firstly, I'd never riden one. Secondly I'd just sold the 1150GS - a bike I loved - and regarded by many as the best bike ever built.

But it's not.

The DRZ400 has an engine a generation ahead of the 1150 and 1200. Watercooling has allowed for reduced tollerances and power and torque is brilliant out the box. There is significantly less vibration and the engine fires instantly without choke from cold. It's throaty and feels responsive.

I was expecting the DRZ to be slow. Sure it'll only do 85mph but it gets there quick - not far behind the 1150 put it that way. It's got enough punch for adventure touring and I'm relieved that I'm not disappointed going from a 1150 to a 400.

After a day of harsher green laning on the BMW I would have blisters from the heavy clutch. I'd be aching from picking it up. That tractor gearbox occasionally would get a gear wrong or clunk or jerk. And when it gets dark you can't see where you're going because the light gets thrown to the left.

The DRZ doesn't have these issues. Instead you get a seat that REALLY doesn't work (15 mile and my backside was screaming) and zinc plated bolts. The finish is quite poor, sure the BMW wasn't great, but Suzuki still haven't put any effort into this area at all.

But who cares? Motorcycling isn't about the bike, it's about what you do with it. The DRZ400 will do more than the GS. I think it's a belter, and I will never, ever, sell it.

Pro's:

Super fuel consumption
Less vibration
Half the weight
Stonking engine
More reliable
Less complicated
Great riding position
Less turbulance even without the screen.
Gearbox
Suspension
Cheaper tax
Cheap parts
1/3 the price to buy
Perfect light

Cons:

Suzuki finish
Takes a bit of work to make it tour.
Aweful seat
Small tank

Pictures of my new DRZ400 coming tomorrow. Get out and buy one now!

good on ya :thumb2 i look forward to seeing the pics of it

Each to their own. I'd have a DR-Z400 next to my 1150GS in my dream garage but it would never be able to replace it.

Looking forward to seeing some pics from future trips through :thumb2

It sounds like you've nearly convinced yourself that you've done the right thing !

Personally,I think comparing a DRZ400 to a GS is ludicrous.

The GS breed is near the top of it's field in large offroad/adventure bikes.

The DRZ400 is a reasonably average bike of ancient design which was does it's job adequately.

But compared to a modern enduro,such as a KTM EXC 250-F,it is slower,heavier and the build quality is shite.

Glad you like it though.

It sounds like you've nearly convinced yourself that you've done the right thing !

Personally,I think comparing a DRZ400 to a GS is ludicrous.

The GS breed is near the top of it's field in large offroad/adventure bikes.

The DRZ400 is a reasonably average bike of ancient design which was does it's job adequately.

But compared to a modern enduro,such as a KTM EXC 250-F,it is slower,heavier and the build quality is shite.

Glad you like it though.

Got to agree with MF here,

Although my DRZ was a nice bike, it was just that, 'nice', its a great starter greenlaner but was not so hot on the road, the vibes (from decent offroad tyre's) and poor tank range, poor seat made roadwork frustrating.

And although it feels quick off road, you are often bought back to reality by something orange seemingly floating past with little effort:rolleyes: But then again that might be my own failings:eek:

Shep

I am convinced. The GS is overkill; it's too heavy, too complicated, too expensive and too uneconomical.

The technology on the DRZ certainly isn't ancient. The carb even on the S is great and much better from anything I used in the 90's - and the engine is a generation ahead of the GS.

The seat and tank range are crap, but these are fixable. The finish sucks but then the suspension is light years ahead of the GS.

I'm not going to say the GS and DRZ are comparible because really they aren't - but for my purpose of touring long distance in multi-terrain and commuting the DRZ is out in front. With the extras fitted it's even comfortable.

PS) I get less wind buffeting of the DRZ with no screen then the GS with any screen I used (including the vario).

I'm not going to say the GS and DRZ are comparible because really they aren't - but for my purpose of touring long distance in multi-terrain and commuting the DRZ is out in front. With the extras fitted it's even comfortable.

will you be dossing under a poncho a la mondo enduro?

I am convinced. The GS is overkill; it's too heavy, too complicated, too expensive and too uneconomical.

The technology on the DRZ certainly isn't ancient. The carb even on the S is great and much better from anything I used in the 90's - and the engine is a generation ahead of the GS.

The seat and tank range are crap, but these are fixable. The finish sucks but then the suspension is light years ahead of the GS.

PS) I get less wind buffeting of the DRZ with no screen then the GS with any screen I used (including the vario).

Perhaps you bought the wrong GS :nenau

Maybe one you should have bought was one like this...............good suspension/choice of tank ranges/simple to fix and work on/no buffeting/reasonable finish :D :D

Attachments

• Coverdale 2.jpg
    Coverdale 2.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 589
Perhaps you bought the wrong GS :nenau

Maybe one you should have bought was one like this...............good suspension/choice of tank ranges/simple to fix and work on/no buffeting/reasonable finish :D :D

very nice :)

touring the thing?

I took the plunge and bought a DRZ. Lost about 2.3k on the BMW over 18 months as the market is saturated with 1150's. Sure it's nice to ride but there is no getting away from the fact it's too heavy, complex, and drinks fuel. Having averaged 35-38mpg commuting over March I decided enough was enough. I've also wanted to do long distance touring - where I don't have to worry about the obscene cost of BMW spare parts or picking the bloody thing back up (cue Morocco incident).

I wanted a DR650. Supply has dwindled because Suzuki hasn't imported them over the last few years - while demand for uncomplicated large thumpers has soared. A knackered 1999 model with 22k miles on it was going for £1,500 and that's about all I found in three month of hunting.

The DRZ400S however has been imported and sold like no tomorrow, and second hand prices are rather low. A 2002 low mileage can be had for around the £1,500 mark. The DRZ costs more than the DR650 in the US and for it you are getting more sophistication in terms of excellent suspension and a water cooled engine.

So off I went and bought a 3,000 mile, 52 plate DRZ400S for £1,700, which comes with a few extras I'll sell for £200. It's in great condition but I have to say I was full of fear. Firstly, I'd never riden one. Secondly I'd just sold the 1150GS - a bike I loved - and regarded by many as the best bike ever built.

But it's not.

The DRZ400 has an engine a generation ahead of the 1150 and 1200. Watercooling has allowed for reduced tollerances and power and torque is brilliant out the box. There is significantly less vibration and the engine fires instantly without choke from cold. It's throaty and feels responsive.

I was expecting the DRZ to be slow. Sure it'll only do 85mph but it gets there quick - not far behind the 1150 put it that way. It's got enough punch for adventure touring and I'm relieved that I'm not disappointed going from a 1150 to a 400.

After a day of harsher green laning on the BMW I would have blisters from the heavy clutch. I'd be aching from picking it up. That tractor gearbox occasionally would get a gear wrong or clunk or jerk. And when it gets dark you can't see where you're going because the light gets thrown to the left.

The DRZ doesn't have these issues. Instead you get a seat that REALLY doesn't work (15 mile and my backside was screaming) and zinc plated bolts. The finish is quite poor, sure the BMW wasn't great, but Suzuki still haven't put any effort into this area at all.

But who cares? Motorcycling isn't about the bike, it's about what you do with it. The DRZ400 will do more than the GS. I think it's a belter, and I will never, ever, sell it.

Pro's:

Super fuel consumption
Less vibration
Half the weight
Stonking engine
More reliable
Less complicated
Great riding position
Less turbulance even without the screen.
Gearbox
Suspension
Cheaper tax
Cheap parts
1/3 the price to buy
Perfect light

Cons:

Suzuki finish
Takes a bit of work to make it tour.
Aweful seat
Small tank

Pictures of my new DRZ400 coming tomorrow. Get out and buy one now!

I think Acerbis and IMS both do a big tank for that bike. It was used in the Baja and USA GNCC championship.:thumb

I've got both...

I did my 100 mile herts green lane route on the GS over the weekend and it once again amazed me on how good it is offroad.

If I had to let one go it would be the DRZ

Here's a nice DRZ for you Snoopy :thumb

Attachments

• DRZ-Boyd.jpg
    DRZ-Boyd.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 572
I really fancy building one of these XT660 RALLYE:thumb2

Attachments

• XT-660_Rallye_big.jpg
    XT-660_Rallye_big.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 3,831
Surprised to hear that Snoopy averaged less than 40mpg whilst commuting?

Re: DRZ, got a 2000 model in my garage. As a bike for novice offroaders, it's an excellent choice but as others have said, the suspension & finish is nothing special when compared to KTM's & WR's etc.

First mod for a n00b DRZ owner is to replace the spacer that sits behind the front sprocket on the output shaft with a stainless version. The stock mild steel part will corrode, chew up the oilseal & dump your oil everywhere. They're on ebay cheap, replace the seal at the same time. Whilst on ebay, it's worth picking up stainless wheel spacers, a case saver, protectors for the clutch & generator covers and replacing the stock plastic sumpguard with an aluminium item. Make sure you've got the right plug spanner as the frame top tube runs close the cam cover, limits access a little to the plug. On earlier bikes, some recommend replacing the cam chain tensioner with either a later Suzuki type or a billet manual tensioner - I've got a spare billet aluminium tensioner going for £20 inc. postage if you want it?

I've got an Acerbis 16 litre fuel tank on mine, uses two gravity taps rather than the single stock vacuum tap.

My 400S does about 85-90mph flat out but I followed a 400E doing a genuine 100mph yesterday.

Best resource for DRZ's & big singles in general is www.thumpertalk.com

Possu you have the crap suspension on yours - the K2 'S' has the 'E' suspension on it which is excellent.

Forry has a keen eye. :thumb2 :thumb2

I also get 90mph flat out and while happy at 60mph it feels a bit like it wants to explode at 70 or above :D . I think mine's running a 45 tooth rear which I believe is stock. :nenau

I've ordered the following since pickup on Friday: HID, stainless spacers, corbin seat and carbon/kevlar protection kit.

I've fitted RAM mounts for the GPS and phone, Renthal 664's, bespoke LED lights into stock indicators, LED pilot light and stainless bolts.

Still to do: pannier frames (not looking forward to this), possible tank upgrade, rear led bulb (bespoke) and maybes a screen.

Let the good times roll. :clap :thumb

Back
Top Bottom