knocking Africa Twin

cookie

Stay Frosty
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
neighbour's just asked me for a second opinion on his (new to him) honda AT, makes a nasty knocking on transition between power & overrun.

when it's cruising, it's fine, but shut down & it knocks, then it does it again as power comes in. acceleration from a decent speed is fine too.

i think it's a big end, but i thought honda's were bulletproof :eek

anyone know of any weakness in these motors that might fit the bill?

not ridden one before, very nice bike to ride however if you close your ears.

no brakes to speak of though :D

sure its not camchain related ?

it is a Honda.

cam related noises would be exactly at the times you've described - could be a worn cam bearing :eek:

it'll need a stripdown by the sounds of it.

but it could be a bigend as well ( covers every option :) )

Only weakness on XRV’s is the output shaft if non OEM front sprockets have been used. More likely to be vibrating crash bars or sump guard IMHO. I’ve done a few hundred thousands miles on XRV’s and to my knowledge they are bombproof – well, I’ve never broken one:)

Only weakness on XRV’s is the output shaft if non OEM front sprockets have been used. More likely to be vibrating crash bars or sump guard IMHO. I’ve done a few hundred thousands miles on XRV’s and to my knowledge they are bombproof – well, I’ve never broken one:)

i hope it's not the crash bars or sump guard. he's taken the engine out now :eek:

'kin tight fit it was too.

i did try & see if it was anything vibrating, exhaust etc. but noise seemed to come from within, crank area. we'll see when it's stripped.

sure its not camchain related ?

it is a Honda.

cam related noises would be exactly at the times you've described - could be a worn cam bearing :eek:

it'll need a stripdown by the sounds of it.

but it could be a bigend as well ( covers every option :) )

not sure of anything, i still think it's and end though. soon find out :mmmm

Hi i had a AT and if looked after they are more than bullet proof could be RPG proof but the engine bar broke the bracket at the sump guard and made a horrible noise ......best of luck :beerjug:

I has two of these with over 110,000 miles between then and nothing ever went wrong. I'd think it would take some real effort to have a major failure on one of those.

neighbour's just asked me for a second opinion on his (new to him) honda AT, makes a nasty knocking on transition between power & overrun.

when it's cruising, it's fine, but shut down & it knocks, then it does it again as power comes in. acceleration from a decent speed is fine too.

i think it's a big end, but i thought honda's were bulletproof :eek

anyone know of any weakness in these motors that might fit the bill?

not ridden one before, very nice bike to ride however if you close your ears.

no brakes to speak of though :D

I've had AT's & never a problem.

Don't sound like big ends to me.

Is it 1 knock on overun/acceleration ? have you checked suspension linkages/rear shock mounts ? rear cush drive ? front sprocket splines loose & dry ?

Before you take the engine out :blast

:thumb

As for brakes fit some decent pads & change the brake fluid.

I fitted SBC's on mine, much better.

:)

I've had AT's & never a problem.

Don't sound like big ends to me.

Is it 1 knock on overun/acceleration ? have you checked suspension linkages/rear shock mounts ? rear cush drive ? front sprocket splines loose & dry ?

Before you take the engine out :blast

:thumb

it does it revving engine in neutral on the stand as well. i'd swear the knock was coming from inside the cases. does it just as the engine accelerates off idle and again as it comes back down. quite confusing, not classic big end symptoms, but that's what it sounds like.

easy to make make mistakes in this sort of thing, and i advised waiting to get an opinion from someone who knows these beasts. owner decided to press ahead with a stripdown :nenau

when the engine's out - let us know if the knocking s gone

that'll decide if its engine or cycle parts :thumb

there was a lot of knocking while it was coming out, but it's stopped now :D

My AT had a knock on take up and overrun. The output shaft splines had worn as had the oem sprocket. I welded up splines and punted it in the free paper. Lots more over on XRV site fuel pumps, volt regs, choke cables, rotting calipers THAT front plug...

not seen the offending bits yet, but it seems it was a disintegrating main bearing which developed enough play to shag it's opposite number as well :eek:

Back
Top Bottom