S Africa maps for quest

Stuart O

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anybody have a 'cost effective' way of getting these to suit quest ;) :confused:

SA maps for quest

Stuart

There are a couple of options in regards SA maps .... what exactly do you want to do?

Dale

Dale,

I will be using a hire car and touring southern tip based in Capetown - possibly wine route etc , just interested to see if mapping was easily available - planning some golf as well and this may require that wife has to do a bit of driving in my absense with the kids and it was a comfort thing mainly for her.. what were you thinking of re options - I'm all ears !;)

Stuart,

There are basically 2 mapsets (which will work on Garmin units) for CT.

Tracks for Africa (t4a):
designed mainly for off road driving but also have most of the major roads in and around the cities
not routable
Best if you are going on safari or visiting national parks or game farm type places.
Cheap +-R600

Garmap Streetmaps version1 (sv1):
the SA equivalent of the Garmin City Navigator products.
routable
can only be loaded on one GPS (so you can't copy from a mate in SA :( )
expensive: R2500

If you were travelling here regularly, i'd say go get the sv1, but if it's just for a holiday then it's hardly worth it. IIRC, the car hire companies do also hire out GPS's with sv1 loaded. I will be going to the airport next week, so will have a look around and see who is offering what if you like.

When do you get here and for how long?

Regards,
Dale

S A maps

Dale,

thanks v much for the info - I will check with the hire company later this week. I am due to arrive on 21st June ish - work issues dependant ....

Once again thanks for your efforts ..:beerjug:

Regards

Stuart
Stuart,

There are basically 2 mapsets (which will work on Garmin units) for CT.

Tracks for Africa (t4a):
designed mainly for off road driving but also have most of the major roads in and around the cities
not routable
Best if you are going on safari or visiting national parks or game farm type places.
Cheap +-R600

Garmap Streetmaps version1 (sv1):
the SA equivalent of the Garmin City Navigator products.
routable
can only be loaded on one GPS (so you can't copy from a mate in SA :( )
expensive: R2500

If you were travelling here regularly, i'd say go get the sv1, but if it's just for a holiday then it's hardly worth it. IIRC, the car hire companies do also hire out GPS's with sv1 loaded. I will be going to the airport next week, so will have a look around and see who is offering what if you like.

When do you get here and for how long?

Regards,
Dale

Back
Top Bottom