Stelvio Pass - Which way to go - East or West?

Which way would you ride the Stelvio Pass

• I'd ride it from East to West

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • I'd ride it from West to East

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Have yet to ride this awesome pass

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Wouldn't bother - much overrated in my opinion

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

ampthill

Reaction score
OK, doing some more route planning for the Dolomites trip in June.

Obviously one thing you have to do is go up/down the Stelvio Pass. However which way to go? Do I do it East to West or do I do it West to East :confused:

My understanding from what I've read etc is that its best East 2 West, but then I see the info on - www.alpineroads.com/engadin.php#stilfser - which recommends it's much better going the other way - something to do with blind hairpins etc. :eek:

So given the collective wisdom of the forum what's the view of those who have done this themselves - go east-west or west-east?

Peter

Both ways................

Rode it east to west in about 1997 on a R1100RT......much better last summer in the opposite direction......on a R1200GS...!!

If in doubt try it both ways & make your own mind up..........?

Cheers

Dutch

I rode up the Umbrail pass to the top of the Stelvio, then went down and back up the north eastern side (cooking my rear brake in the process) and then down the south western side to Bormio (much nicer to ride :) )

It was easier riding up the north eastern side, although some of the hairpins at the bottom were very tight and there were a few dropped touring bikes.

To be honest, although spectacular to see, it wasn't much fun to ride. The Fluella and Ofen passes were much more fun on the way there from Chur :thumb

I've only been up AND down the eastern side. Something to do with passports left behind at the hotel:augie

It was a complete bugger to ride up the eastern side. 40+ very tight, very steep hairpins. Heart in mouth, arse checks biting chunks out of the saddle, much clutch slipping and very slow progress.

It was much easier to descend, mostly coasting and dabbing the brakes.

So if I ever get there again, I would certainly try it from west to east.

Back
Top Bottom