DRZ400S Oil leak from behind sprocket

rocks

Reaction score
Well its my week for broken bikes. Might have a gear box issue on the GS and today I thought I would look at my lovely DRZ and guess what.

She is leaking oil from behind the front sprocket so it would appear. Now I believe there is a common known fualt with them and people advise replacement of the "spacer" with a stainless steel version.

So where do I guet one from and how easy is it to do?? I might not have the GS for llangollen and so rather hoping to take the DRZ as an emergency backup, so wish to get the repair done asap and before any critical damage is done to the DRZ. Its only a slight seepage at the moment, but not running the bike incase.

Piece of pish

just done one on my Ktm and its an easy fix .

do a search on thumpertalk for it :thumb

If you have a split-link chain it's about an hour's work max.

If you don't, you'll have to slacken the back wheel to release the chain.

Greg

PS Slacken the sprocket nut (30mm) BEFORE you remove the wheel/chain!

Greg

First time..

Well I have got ER Williams in Mold looking to get my a price on the spacer and seal. If they cannot help, I will grab one off ebay.

I dont actually know what type of chain i have.. or how to break it, so i will probably go for the wheel move option.. if i can work out how to undo the wheel and sprocket nut.. lol. I am not renowned for my spannering, but will give it a shot.

Just hoping I can get the DRZ or the GS working for llangollen or i could be missing it.. :mad: but i am sure it will be ok.. i will get it fixed one way for the other.. :D

Replace the seal whilst you're at it. The stainless spacers are common on ebay. If you have problems, use airtools to shock the sprocket nut loose, make sure bike's in gear & have somepne apply the back brake to be sure.

Well I have got ER Williams in Mold looking to get my a price on the spacer and seal.

Dunno who ER Williams are, but if they are a dealer, they will probably get you the stock mild steel item.

What you need is stainless - don't p*ss about, buy one off eBay and fit it with a new OE seal.

Greg

:thumb
Dunno who ER Williams are, but if they are a dealer, they will probably get you the stock mild steel item.

What you need is stainless - don't p*ss about, buy one off eBay and fit it with a new OE seal.

Greg

As Greg quite rightly states, if ER Williams are a main dealer then they will most likely fit a std mild steel one.

Get a stainless steel one, but also get a couple of the lip seals. The chances are that you will bugger one up on at the first attempt. :eek:

Put plenty of grease on the shaft and also on the sprocket to allow the lip seal to slide.

Another tip for removing the sprocket retaining nut, put it in 1st gear.

Hours job at the most.

Parts of order..

I asked ER Williams for a Stainless Steel version,, no the OE one.
He got a price of £30 plus vat.

So i have ordered a Stainless Steel Kit and new seal off ebay. But only comes with one seal. So will heed the great words of wisdom and get a spare lip seal just incase too..lol.

You dont need to drop the oil do you??

You dont need to drop the oil do you??

No.

Try to find a suitable tool to drift in the new seal. Ideally something like a piece of pipe the appropriate size that has been very squarely cut or ground.

Greg

Is there an o-ring in with the spacer as well...this is quiet common now with a lot of bikes...if so don't forget to get a new o-ring as well. Part 25 in the KTM parts fiche below, sometimes its just the o-ring or even dirt build up in there.

Adie

05590335.gif

Flee bay to the rescue.. i hope.. !

Well I take the GS over to blue bell at 8.30am for a look at. The techi is going to take it for a ride/looksee about the gear box.

In the meantime. I have bought a stainless steel spacer kit with oil seal and "o" ring and a wheel spacer kit too. Total for all of it about £32 inc postage. Will order a second oil seal just incase. I have to admit i had visions of oil pouring out when i removed what was left of the old seal..

Thanks for the drawing. I have the DRZ cd as well somewhere on my pc but its off being fixed, will have a good trawl through it.

I might grab some photos whilst I do it, just for others reference... though i am sure they probably exist on the next somewhere. Fingers crossed if the flee bay parts arrive ok, i might have at least one bike to ride at llangollen..lol.

how did you get on with fitting the stainless spacer ?

Maybe a bit late but...

You might also need a very good posidrive screwdriver, to remove the silly cover that suzuki fit over the output shaft.

These 2 screws on my bike had to be drilled out to remove the cover (so might be worth having an impact driver handy?), apart from that, as everyone else said, pretty straight forward job.

Also if you lean the bike over, you won't get lots of oil run out when you remove the old seal/spacer.

Only got one seal? Check the new spacer for any burrs or sharp edges (same for gearbox housing), remove with fine grade wet and dry or wire wool (though be careful not to get any crap in the engine).

Grease seal and spacer before fitting.

good luck! :beerjug:

nathan

Much fun.. not..

With the terrif aid of Eddie (aka Hew on here, in fact he did much of it, i just watched..lol.. ) the new seal is fitted and new wheel spacers too.

Indeedy the sprocket nut took a blow torch and much wd40 to remove it. Rusted nice and tight. The seal went in with out too much fun, but getting the spacer on with the o-ring over the splined shaft did seem a bit daft, running risk of damaging the o-ring.

Either way the new bits are in and I had a leak free run from from Eddies house.

BIG THANK YOU ! Eddie.. much appreciated and thankyou for the cups of tea too.

So the DRZ is now ready to rock and roll. Will keep any eye on the the seal to ensure it does not leak, and all is well.

Back
Top Bottom