Garmin gps v problem

the celt

Reaction score
...my country is Kiltartan Cross, My countrymen Ki
Hello all,
a bit of a problem with this garmin v, everytime I go to a point of interest or route, the route does not go by the roads instead the line drawn is a few mm of the road all the directions seem to be okay, just the line of route on screen, it was working okay until I loaded in greater london and i dont use it in overzoom. Any ideas?
thanks
jose

When you are on the map routing view press menu once.
Go to set up map.
On the tab totles MAP , select Lock on Road 'ON'.
This should fix it.
Good luck
Gecko

me too

Got Garmin V and often the cursor flies alomg side the road even with good satelite coverage and snap to road selected.

Also, since upgrading to later software I have noticed thet after every turn where it zooms in to help you, it returns to a map showing virtually the whole of the UK. So after every turn I have to hold the zoom in button for app ten beeps.
Never did either of these problems with old software, wish I hadn't bothered.

If it's not broke...

Hi all,
Thanks for your help, I have used the "lock on road" and the pointer is now on the road but the route line is still way off, it seems to plot the right route but is about 5miles out, I have seen Gecko's post about resetting the unit but dont really want to do this, as a fellow traveller has down loaded waypoints for south america for me and if I reset I will lose these waypoints.

thanks again
jose

Re: me too

alan hopkins said:
Got Garmin V and often the cursor flies alomg side the road even with good satelite coverage and snap to road selected.

Also, since upgrading to later software I have noticed thet after every turn where it zooms in to help you, it returns to a map showing virtually the whole of the UK. So after every turn I have to hold the zoom in button for app ten beeps.
Never did either of these problems with old software, wish I hadn't bothered.

If it's not broke...

Alan here's what you need to do:
Go to set up map.
On the tab totles MAP , select Auto Zoom 'OFF'.
This should fix it.
Good luck
Gecko

the celt said:
Hi all,
Thanks for your help, I have used the "lock on road" and the pointer is now on the road but the route line is still way off, it seems to plot the right route but is about 5miles out, I have seen Gecko's post about resetting the unit but dont really want to do this, as a fellow traveller has down loaded waypoints for south america for me and if I reset I will lose these waypoints.

thanks again
jose

Jose,
It sounds to me that you may have incompatible versions of Mapsource running on your PC with the GPS unit software. For example if you are running 2.30 on the GPS V you really need Mapsource 5.0 to support it.
Go to www.garmin.com and upload the latest mapsource you can find . You may need to request a free CD from Garmin for this. If you are using an earlier GPS firmware version , for example 2.20 and running Mapsource 5.0 already you may have a simpliar incompatibility problem. My advice to you then is go back to using Mapsource 4.0 and stay with firmware 2.20 because 2.30 has some wierd problems as you can read on various threads on this website.

To see which software version yo are running on your GPS V:
Press menu 4 times from the normal map view screen, the select 'Software Version' and Enter. this tells you if you have 2.20 or 2.30.
To see which mapsource you are running open the software, select 'Help/About Mapsource....' this will show you which version you have on your PC.

Good luck
Gecko

Re: Re: me too

Gecko said:
Go to set up map.
On the tab titled MAP , select Auto Zoom 'OFF'.
This should fix it.
Good luck
Gecko

Just correcting a typo :D

Not having the maps loaded i.e. running on the base map certainly causes this problem.

The base map is as good as useless

Dennis said:
Not having the maps loaded i.e. running on the base map certainly causes this problem.

The base map is as good as useless

Yup that's very true - trying to navigate with just the base map is not much better than having just a compass unless you stick to the very large motorways and A roads only.

thanks gecko, but...

Gecko said:
Go to set up map.
On the tab totles MAP , select Auto Zoom 'OFF'.
This should fix it.
Good luck
Gecko

I like the way it auto-zooms in to help you actually at the turn but when it returns to the road tracking that's when it zooms out too far. I like to travel on a fairly high zoom so I can see the curve of the road As I said, after the auto-zoom it then goes out to show virtually all of the country.

Yes, Noticed too that when running on base map you seem to be flying a along side the road.

Thanks for help

al

the celt said:
Thanks Gecko,
I checked my gps and is coming up as software version 2.08,
will not be able to check mapsource until the weekend.
thanks again for your help
regards
jose

If you do decide to upgrade I suggest you do not install 2.30. 2.20 is fine and the tracback is much better in 2.20 than in 2.30 so careful if you do upload . Also you may well lose all your waypoints and routes on your GPS unit when you upgrade so save them somewhere first if you want to keep them.
Good luck
Gecko

In the rough?

As i ride down the road the curser seems to follow the line of the road but is off to one side as if i am in the hedge. Have read Geckos post about snap to road but if....

i am on map screen.......

press menu......
comes up with.....

show full screen
use outdoors
measure distance
map setup

press map setup.......

comes up with
map
line
point
city
area

scroll along to map........

shows....

map detail.....
orientation.....
colour mode.....
auto zoom.....

cant see anywhere that it says "snap to road"

got it from the dealers, it says BMW Motorrad Navigator on the front... is this the same unit as a Garmin Street Pilot3?

Clown:confused:

Yep
Except for 'BMW Motorrad Navigator' on the case and in the firmware startup screen and a matt screen, it is the same as a Garmin SPIII.

Often different accessories are packaged with the 2 units and the accessories vary in different markets.

BMWs firmware updates seem to be a little behind Garmins.
I believe you can load Garmins firmware to a Navigator with no problems but BMW recommend against it (can somebody confirm this).

I MUST BE MAAAAAAD!

:confused: Just bin reeding this fred and I'm thinkin of buyin in to these probs???? I must be demented, I struggle with a TV remote :beer: :beer:

It's no worse than using a mobile phone most of the time......you just need to get the hang of it a bit and then it's fine.

Back
Top Bottom