Peak District/Cat & Fiddle run

Davey

Just been there for first time

Why bother?

More cameras than a Leicester Square premiere, double white lines all over, 50mph most of the routes and bollock slow sports bike riders not even worth having "fun" with

-I`ll stick to the empty roads here in the NE & Scotland in future.

and BTW -the daftest thing any rider worth their salt can do is to post details of those decent routes we have up here.

Just my five pennorth....

The Cat and Fiddle is one of these iconic roads, that even without the masses of bikes and police overbearance................ is really a bit second-rate (as you hint at) :hide

North of englandshire, Scottish Borders, Trossachs, Highlands knock it into a cocked hat:rob

(but keep that to yourselves, now :augie )

Al :thumb2

as John says and hes right go early and the cat is one of the best roads in the country

as John says and hes right go early and the cat is one of the best roads in the country

I must admit I can't agree with you there. All the cambers are wrongs, theres to many bends to get any speed up, the surface is (or was when I lived there) awful. The road from Buxton to Bakewell and then on to Matlock is far batter and so is the snake pass. There plaenty of great roads in Derbyshire but unfortunately an over abundance of traffic.

Now Green Lanes in Derbyshire ,,, they are some of the best in the UK:thumb

Just my tuppence

AndyT:cool:

I have seen the future and it is not something that is worth looking forward to. The future is the Peak District with 50 mph limits, police, cameras, helicopters, and too many cars traveling slowly.

I have now been to the Peak District three times and have never been impressed with the roads etc but now it is simply not worth it. I would get as much pleasure riding about the centre of Manchester:eek:

And the Cat and Fiddle must rank as one of the worst pubs I have been to.

I think those of us who live north of the M62 corridor have been spoilt with the choice of roads to ride.

I have seen the future and it is not something that is worth looking forward to. The future is the Peak District with 50 mph limits, police, cameras, helicopters, and too many cars traveling slowly.

This is true and its happening in the parts of South Cheshire leading to Shropshire/North Wales too.:( :mad: :spitfire

FWIW....I agree.......I still like a thrash 'round Derbyshire now and then, but the constant up and down speed limits, do your head in.

Now, North Yorks' ............:thumb

Erm.....No cameras on the Cat and Fiddle, none on Long Hill, two or three on the A6 Twixt Buxton and Matlock, One in a 40mph (fair enough) twixt Matlock and Matlock Bath.

Couple of mobiles, but rarely, and in the words a friendly short arsed copper I know "if you look where you're bleedin' going...."

Erm, A515 twixt Buxton and Ashbourne, oooo, no cameras...

None from the Cat to Congleton................

None on The Snake..................

None on the 623/619 to Chesterfield, until you get to Chesterfield, that's in a 30mph (the bastards)

As Rushy sez, plenty the other side of Macclesfield though.....

I dunno, maybe I dont ride like an A-hole, and so dont attract the attentions of the Plod

:nenau

Erm.....No cameras on the Cat and Fiddle, none on Long Hill, two or three on the A6 Twixt Buxton and Matlock, One in a 40mph (fair enough) twixt Matlock and Matlock Bath.

Couple of mobiles, but rarely, and in the words a friendly short arsed copper I know "if you look where you're bleedin' going...."

None on the 623/619 to Chesterfield, until you get to Chesterfield, that's in a 30mph (the bastards)

I dunno, maybe I dont ride like an A-hole, and so dont attract the attentions of the Plod

Wot he said.:thumb
Mark

As Jamie says, I've lived in the area all of my life and never had any trouble!

I can ride over these roads to and from work every day, I may even try it tonight.....

Unfortunately it is the muppetry of motorcyclists that has led to the over regulation on roads like the Cat. I was on Macclesfield traffic for quite a few years when it was not restricted and was a hoot. led the Milk race down and the speed of these guys scared me sh......less. As biking got more popular we were attending more and more accidents especially bikers. It is a great road but is unforgiving with its off camber corners and stone walls. Yes it has been spoiled now and there is a lesson there .If we(motorcyclists )ride like pratts we can expect the authorities to clamp down. as has been said "Ive seen the future". 50 mph limits and cameras every mile.. be warned this will hapen to YOUR favorite road:rob

Go about 5 miles in most directions as it's bike nirvana......

C&F road itself best left well alone.

Watch out for the unmarked imprezas too

Erm.....Couple of mobiles, but rarely, and in the words a friendly short arsed copper I know "if you look where you're bleedin' going...." A515 twixt Buxton and Ashbourne, oooo, no cameras...

Maybe no Cameras,but they use Cars with Road Pilot (Watch for the White Squares on the road),and do not play fair as the cars are hidden from view till you see them in your mirror !

111.2,Sir.Fastest one Today.

Bugger :blast

Having started this thread will add a bit more.

Last Sat/Sun (with campout - off site so free) me and my mate did a round trip of 350 miles on superb roads, no repetition, and once out of Middleton in Teesdale (that`s a clue) saw fewer than thirty cars. No cameras, no limits (except through villages) superb roads, knees down and into the groove.
Reaffirmed that we will never ride down to the Peak District again.

Not telling wot the route was though.....

Maybe no Cameras,but they use Cars with Road Pilot (Watch for the White Squares on the road),and do not play fair as the cars are hidden from view till you see them in your mirror !

111.2,Sir.Fastest one Today.

Bugger :blast

Why would you want to ride that fast, if you really do? :rolleyes:

Not been down this road for 15 years and its a stunning day so 3 of us are off up there today :thumb

It goes to show what the years do to us...the runs a lot smaller than it used to be...great day out though..no sign of filth until near retford...unmarked silver vauxhall estate had pulled a guy on a streetfighter...

Back
Top Bottom