Waypoints – Mapsource. Help required

Mallard

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not easy to put my thoughts onto paper(?), but here goes……

If I create waypoints in a route (i.e. Hotel Paradise, Rotterdam) and put them into a named category (Hotels), should I then be able to see these waypoints on any other routes I create with different file names?

I have created waypoints, and I’ve put them into named categories, but when I want to use them again on new routes with a different file name, I can’t seem to find them listed in the category when I click the waypoint tab.

Not easy to put my thoughts onto paper(?), but here goes……

If I create waypoints in a route (i.e. Hotel Paradise, Rotterdam) and put them into a named category (Hotels), should I then be able to see these waypoints on any other routes I create with different file names?
No, not unless you save them first, then open them as your base map for the
new route.
I have created waypoints, and I’ve put them into named categories, but when I want to use them again on new routes with a different file name, I can’t seem to find them listed in the category when I click the waypoint tab.
If you save these waypoints, using Ver 9 for example, as "hotels.gdb" if
you want to plan a route with these on, use "hotels.gdb" as the map you
plan the new route. The waypoints will be visible.
or
Copy and paste the waypoints somewhere else and paste them in as you
need them. I have a GDB that has everything I've ever done that I dip into
as required.

Is this what you're asking?

You need to transfer the waypoints/routes between each differently named file, but they can be easily copied pasted. The following looks long winded, but it literally takes seconds to do.

This description applies to waypoints, but works for the other Mapsource tabs too (routes, maps etc)

1 Open the source file containing the waypoints you want to use in the new (or differently named) target file
2 Click the waypoints tab
3 Click Edit, then click Select All (or press Ctrl-A to use keys instead of mouse)
4 Click Edit then click Copy (or press Ctrl-C)
5 Click File then Click Open
6 Select the new/different target file from the filenames list at the bottom of the File options list, the file will open (it will only be in the list if you have used it before, if it's not there, browse to it using File/Open, the same as opening any other file)
7 Click the waypoints tab
8 Click edit then click Paste (or click Ctrl-V)

Job done

If you don't want to use all of the waypoints in the original file, do 1 and 2 above, then hold down the Ctrl key and then click on each individual waypoint that you want to use, then go to step 4 above.

Note: The waypoint categories (Hotel etc) will be carried over, along with all other waypoint properties.

You need to transfer the waypoints/routes between each differently named file, but they can be easily copied pasted. The following looks long winded, but it literally takes seconds to do.

This description applies to waypoints, but works for the other Mapsource tabs too (routes, maps etc)

1 Open the source file containing the waypoints you want to use in the new (or differently named) target file
2 Click the waypoints tab
3 Click Edit, then click Select All (or press Ctrl-A to use keys instead of mouse)
4 Click Edit then click Copy (or press Ctrl-C)
5 Click File then Click Open
6 Select the new/different target file from the filenames list at the bottom of the File options list, the file will open (it will only be in the list if you have used it before, if it's not there, browse to it using File/Open, the same as opening any other file)
7 Click the waypoints tab
8 Click edit then click Paste (or click Ctrl-V)

Job done

If you don't want to use all of the waypoints in the original file, do 1 and 2 above, then hold down the Ctrl key and then click on each individual waypoint that you want to use, then go to step 4 above.

Note: The waypoint categories (Hotel etc) will be carried over, along with all other waypoint properties.

I'll just add that you can use the Mapsource 'Selection Tool' to define a rectangle on the map, and automatically select all the waypoints within. Multiple areas can be highlighted by holding the Shift key. Then copy/paste. You can also have multiple copies of Mapsource running on your PC's desktop to simplify the copy/paste process between different .gdb files.

Also if you transfer them onto your device they'll stay there no matter what route you send to it. I have a cosiderable amount on my Quest permanently.

Back
Top Bottom