Impressive Service from the AA

dunard

Picked up a sudden rear tyre deflation on the A73 between Lanark & Biggar this morning. I'd just been through a heavy downpour and I'd been leaning into the strong gusts since setting out, but I don't recall hitting debris or anything specific. The rear Tourance has got a jagged hole through the thickest part of the tread with no obvious sign of the offending item.

Phoned the AA from the roadside who attended after about 90 mins. This is outside their SLA, but they did call twice to explain the delay, which was nice. Very efficient patrolman 76162 from Edinburgh had the bike loaded and me out of the gale in the comfort of the cab in no time. Back in Glasgow now wondering what might have been.

Anyone seeing an 07MY Adventure on the back of an AA truck along M74/M8 this afternoon, worry not as BM reliabilty wasn't an issue!

dunard

Ultraseal is claimed to seal holes of up to 6mm diameter - I have it in all my bike tyres.

Was the hole bigger than that ?

One does have to check the tyres periodically for sealed holes that warrant attention ! (haven't found one yet . . . famous last words).

Usual disclaimers re the product - As I haven't found a hole yet I don't know whether it works or not.

Bob.

I'll have to try that product Bob, it would have saved the day. The puncture looks to be quite a bit smaller than 6mm dia with the tyre flat.

First puncture I've had on a bike since 1976 and a bit disconcerting to suddenly feel an increased rolling resistance, then erratic handling when part way through an overtaking mavouevre! The GSA behaved well enough though allowing me to slow down gradually then pull into a layby a mile or so further on towards Symington. Just thankful it was a rear.

A friendly motorist stopped to offer me air, but one look at the hole in the tyre and we knew it was a basket case.

Has anyone tried getting a rear Tourance (wearing 750 miles) with a single clean hole in the central tread area repaired, or am I looking down the barrell at a new one?

dunard

et tu dunard

I passed through Biggar this morning too on way to Abington and points south.
Found a Galvanised flat headed nail ,type used for securing felt (think its called a clout nail?) in my front nearside tyre , yup it was a car. like you it was in the thickest treaded pairt o' the tyre damnit.:spitfire

Thanks Arc. We're both probably victims of the same builder's van shedding nails out the back!

dunard

With the bike laid up I'm forced onto my 4-wheeled BM transport today.

Attachments

• yellow peril1.jpg
    yellow peril1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 140
Has anyone tried getting a rear Tourance (wearing 750 miles) with a single clean hole in the central tread area repaired, or am I looking down the barrell at a new one?

dunard

Hi mate...I had a rear Pirelli MT90 Scorpion with similar damage at low mileage and I got it repaired no bother.
The tyre fitting place I use had to send it away to be fixed,as they no longer do them 'in house'....got it back three days later,cost about £15.

I now use Ultraseal in all my bikes....but you must install it correctly and remember to check periodically for signs of any tyre damage (as we should anyway.........)

Got a puncture in a rear Tourance with just under 1000 miles on it. Did a roadside repair and took it to Two Wheels in Edinburgh for a permanent repair. Just changed the tyre today, 12k miles later. Repair cost me a tenner.

Cheers

Great service at Motorrad Central this morning who fixed the tyre in no time at all and it only cost £11. I call that a pretty good result all round: I'm now one happy banana-owner!

dunard

Back
Top Bottom