R.I.D retrofit to 850GS

Baldrick

Reaction score
Hi,
nothin better to do on a wet bank holidfay monday :( I was browsing this site for spare part numbers
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/MainDiagrams.asp?mospid=47944
and came across the R.I.D.
On the face of it, it looks a fairly simple retrofit (or am I being thick :confused: ) On a non RID bike is all the wiring in place in the loom, and is it just a case of fitting a gear position sensor (or is that already there?) :beerjug:

I did the same on mine (2001 model) everything there just a case of plugging in under the front of the tank - 8 or 10 pin plug IIRC
Buy a new plasticy thing around the speedo/tacho to make the job look 100% - oh and buy the bits from motobins if they still have them on offer!!

I did the same on mine (2001 model) everything there just a case of plugging in under the front of the tank - 8 or 10 pin plug IIRC
Buy a new plasticy thing around the speedo/tacho to make the job look 100% - oh and buy the bits from motobins if they still have them on offer!!

I have just had a look on Motobins, they dont list the RID pt# 62132350607, my instrument suround has an indentation on the right hand side which looks as though it needs to be cut out to fit the RID:confused:

just done the same to my bike thanks to steptoe supplying me a rid unit. i used a dremel to cot out the slot and a wing mirror rubber surround to finish the job the plug was in situ under the front of the tank just need to adjust the fuel tank float:thumb2

just done the same to my bike thanks to steptoe supplying me a rid unit. i used a dremel to cot out the slot and a wing mirror rubber surround to finish the job the plug was in situ under the front of the tank just need to adjust the fuel tank float:thumb2

was that a new or used RID unit and how much? how did you adjust the fuel tank float? how does the RID fix into the cut out, are there clamps or screws? I dont suppose you could post a picie or 2? :beerjug: :beerjug: :thumb2

was that a new or used RID unit and how much? how did you adjust the fuel tank float? how does the RID fix into the cut out, are there clamps or screws? I dont suppose you could post a picie or 2? :beerjug: :beerjug: :thumb2

used
£40 from steptoe
tral and error by bending the float arm
use existing screws + 1 and a small bracket made from bendable plastic
not at the moment daughter has my camera

used
£40 from steptoe
tral and error by bending the float arm
use existing screws + 1 and a small bracket made from bendable plastic
not at the moment daughter has my camera

Thanks for the info,your a star... I will start asking round to see who's got one avail :thumb2 :thumb2

RID UNIT

Wot dis is, fuel/temprature gauge I assume?
dave (ignorant ) GS.

Hi, which plug is it under the tank? I had my tank off this afternoon to fit H&B crashbars & I have 2 unused, one on top of ther other in the centre :confused:

Hi, which plug is it under the tank? I had my tank off this afternoon to fit H&B crashbars & I have 2 unused, one on top of ther other in the centre :confused:

You'll find out when you try to plug the RID unit in -

It'll be the only plug that the RID unit will plug into.

A RID factory fitted, the "0" denotes the bike is in neutral

Attachments

• rid2.jpg
    rid2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 210
  • rid 1.jpg
    rid 1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 208
Thats the "doo hicky"... (on my 1150 it was on the lefthand side)
On a separate subject I see you have an MRA screen, I fitted one on Sat but I found out that the big black plastic nut for the screen adjusting screw was missing ( you can see it just to the right of the RID in your top photo)... Have you got one of those goin spare as well Steptoe :D

Sorry guys, just bumping this back up as I keep loosing it. I'm in the process of sorting an RID for my 850, and need to ref back to this thread which I can't do if it takes half an hour to find it even with the search.

Baldrick, did you suss yours in the end?

Sorry guys, just bumping this back up as I keep loosing it. I'm in the process of sorting an RID for my 850, and need to ref back to this thread which I can't do if it takes half an hour to find it even with the search.

Baldrick, did you suss yours in the end?

Just add the page to your bookmarks/favourites in your browser.

Back
Top Bottom