StreetPilotIII can I test the data card?

notadrop

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Picked up an SPIII yesterday.
Loaded Mapsource City Navigator CD's onto computer.
Connected SPIII with data card via the PC Interface cable [USB port connection is loose on my computer - can't get a decent connection].
Highlighted about 30 MB of maps.
Switched on SPIII power clicked on download. Detected unit and began download.
When finished went outside. Switched on. It found its location all OK. Went to Main Menu and tried to highlight 'MapSource info' - it wouldn't let me?
Went to 'Cities' and to look for the left hand column of 'Attractions' etc. It wouldn't let me access it?
It states if the card isn't inserted I can't access it. It is and was for the download.
Is there any way to test it to see if the data card is faulty??
Thanks or any help that any one can shed on this.
Paul

Paul,

firstly,never try to download maps via the serial port - life is too short - it takes forever.
Secondly, have you unlocked the software correctly? Just because you can select maps on your PC (ie they go pink when you highlight them) doesn't mean they're unlocked. You must go to the Garmin website here and enter your codes.
The unit will try to read the data from your card, but if your unit ID isn't listed as unlocked, it won't be able to (it's an encryption designed to stop you passing unlocked maps to everyone else...).
Once you've unlocked the maps, load them via your USB port (you need to get it fixed if you plan on using the 'download maps' facility) onto the card via the programmer.

If you've done all that & it still won't play, then it may be that your card is defective - but I reckon your problems stem from trying to load maps the wrong way (ie through your serial port).

HTH - PM me if you have any questions (I've unlocked & downloaded 3 different Mapsource products in the last 48 hrs :D)

Cheers

Mike:)

To be a bit more precise; if you can select the map segments (they go pink) then you do have a valid unlock code on the PC.

This code may or may not be valid for the GPSR serial number.

If your unlock code does not match the GPSR it will give a warning message (cannot remember what at the moment) but still let you override it and load them anyway, however when the GPSR restarts the firmware will say something like unlock not valid and will not let you use them.

This is only for City Navigator/City Select or Blue charts.

How long did the download take (via serial) 60-80 minutes ?

Just wondering if it completed okay.

Took me over SIX (6) plus-hours...... my card reader wouldn't work!!

Sounds like you may not have loaded the whole shooting match:(

Get the USB fixed like MikeO suggested;)

CC

:cool:

.... or buy a road atlas at all good bookstores - you big nonce! , £2.99

:D :D :D

Thanks a lot guys! [except Mr hogg of course!;) ].
I went back and loaded just one 'pink' area - and it worked fine!
Then have just downloaded about 6 plus 2 routes and home as a waypoint. Down load succesful!
What if I want to add more to it? When I went to put more on the 2nd time it 'removed existing data' before commencing new download? Is there a way to 'save existing' then just add new stuff? Sorry - bit of a numpty on this!
Could it be that I was trying to download to much [120MB] via the serial port cable using the SPIII's battery power only?
I will try taking the usb to work and down load there.
Thanks again guys - I was getting a bit frustrated to say the least! Especially as this is all new to me.
Mike O - thanks for the offer of help via PM, I may have to take you up on that later!

The Garmins will always delete the previous maps first before downloading new maps.
Note that waypoints, routes and tracklogs are separate and not affected.

120MB via serial FARRRRRK!
I would expect that to take 4-5 hours.

How long do the SPIII batteries last, about 2-3 hours ?

If you know a little about PC internals then you can do what I did; buy a combined serial data/power cable with bare ends on the power leads. Then get one of the internal PC power plugs and connect it to the 12v internal PC power.

Or you can just do it with a USB reader/writer in 10 minutes !

In Oz; the USB reader/writers are standard with the BMW Navigator but with a SPIII they are AU$160 (65 pounds?) extra

Back
Top Bottom