how do I replace my CAT"(exhaust box_)

Dragon

I wish to take the CAT" (exhaust box) off my GS adventurer,and replace it with the cross over pipes I've had a little look at it looks easy,but what do I do with the wire that gose to senser in the middle of the box???:confused:

Joe

1. Remove the tank, don't be tempted to do this without removing the tank.
2. Cut the cable ties holding the sensor cable tidy and disconnect the Lamda sensor cable connector. loosen the cable from the clips so its free.
3. Unbolt the can and cat and remove the cat
4. Unbolt the Lamda sensor from the cat and fit it in the hole in the Y piece, its easy now as the cable can turn freely and it won't be damaged.
5. Using liberal Firegum on the new pipework fit the Y piece and thenn the can.
6. Route the Lamda sensor cable back in the clips and refix the extra cable with cable ties.
7. Fire up the beast and balance the throttle bodies as the free airflow will now show up any imbalance. ( Vacuum guages or Twinmax will be needed.)

Job Done, it will now backfire a bit but will pull like a train in the low and midrange, just where you need it most.

The extra cable is there so the cat can be removed without damaging the cable.

If possible replace the can at the same time for a Titanium Sebring Twister, not the Remus, the reason is the Sebring will not melt your indicators as the outflow is a different shape.

Melting Indicators?

Jimb

You serious about the indicator melting bit?! Seem to have seen a lot of Remus' (Remi??) on GS's still with pert little indicators! Have you got one of the Sebring cans that you spoke of, I'm also in the Sheffield area (south east near Worksop) & wouldn't mind a butchers if you have as I'm intending to buy a can & y for mine shortly. Drop me an e-mail & maybe I could pop round or we could meet up for a ride sometime.

Cheers

Ade

My indicators melted without any help from Remus - I had the standard can fitted. The reason for the problem was fitting Jesse panniers - the indicators ar re-positioned in the exhaust efflux. Once I'd moved them back up out of the way the problem vanished (despite subsequently fitting a Remus).

Mike:)

Attachments

• before & after.jpg
    before & after.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 206
LED`s?

Does that look like a row of LEDS under your rack that man? Used as fog lights or extra brake lights?
the clown :0):cool:

Adrian

Yes the new Remus revolution will melt your indicator stems when you have paniers on IF you remove the baffle in the pipe, which most do as it improves the performance even more , talk to sherpa ( John Trickett ) of the SAM group he's done it, the reason is this can has a removable baffle, now when the baffle is in place there is a little pipe with a 45 degree bend in it that deflects the hot gases rearward, so no problem when this is removed the bend is no longer there and the gases now are in line with the indicator stem, if you put panniers on this further restricts the gases and the indicator gets melted.
Remus have acknowleged that this is an issue and have made an external deflector pipe for the purpose.

The Sebring twister has a different pipe exit and does not suffer from this problem, strange since its made in the same factory by the same people and its 30% cheaper. Mine still has the baffle in place and it did noticably improve the performance, your welcome to come and see it, if you take it for a run you'll see the difference.

Go and have a word with big Dave at Rainbow he has all the info on this problem

LED's

Sorry guys the image is far too big, delete it Paul, try this one, these are traffic sign led's set into the little cavity in the indicator reflector.

led's

Try again

Attachments

• bmw lights rear.jpg
    bmw lights rear.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 163
GS Exhaust replacement

Jimb, thanks for the info regarding the exhaust on the GS adven,I have spoken to the BM dealer about the fitting of the crossover pipe and a can, he said the carbs don't need to be ajusted the bikes computer dose this automatically.
now I'm really confused, regards Joe :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Re: GS Exhaust replacement

joe said:
I've spoken to the BM dealer , he said the carbs don't need to be adjusted :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

You need to change your dealer...................quick !!:confused:

My GS is fuel injected..........Carbs ??!!

CC

:cool:

Joe

The motronic will adjust the mixture but the throttle bodies will need to be balanced, takes 10 mins with a twinmax.
Sherpa has a Y piece and Genesis can for sale, and I can tell you its nice, the genesis won't melt your indicators.

Back
Top Bottom