Ducati Monsters .. any advice?

Deleted Member I

Any of you owned and lived with a Ducati Monster?

What are they like to own? Dealers?

Where can I get good pricing informtion for 2nd ones?

If I want one just to pose on around London, is the 600 or 620 enough? Or should I get a Harley sportster?

Any advice welcome!

Cheers :thumb

if you want to build yourself up for posing join a gym, someone I know got one he's ton fitter now cos he has to push it to side of road on regular basis.

I find them small even for a Ducati, and when I went searching 600's were holding a good price as cheap ones are snatched up for the Desmo Due series. I was suprised also by the amount of rust on 2 year old examples, bad even by old Ducati standards. I would look for the 750 Dark, good examples can be found for reasonable money and insurance is good as well.

I find them small even for a Ducati, and when I went searching 600's were holding a good price as cheap ones are snatched up for the Desmo Due series. I was suprised also by the amount of rust on 2 year old examples, bad even by old Ducati standards. I would look for the 750 Dark, good examples can be found for reasonable money and insurance is good as well.

What's reasonable money .. I had a look around and they vary quite a bit? :nenau

e.g. ... a 2003 M620 sie for £3000 ... is that good/expensive/just right?

if you want to build yourself up for posing join a gym, someone I know got one he's ton fitter now cos he has to push it to side of road on regular basis.

Got full RAC and a mobile phone :D

he has now but still phones me and I still laugh (that's what friends are for!)

What's reasonable money .. I had a look around and they vary quite a bit? :nenau

e.g. ... a 2003 M620 sie for £3000 ... is that good/expensive/just right?
A tad too much for a dealer bike even with a low milage, I would expect to pay 2800 max for a dealer 03 model with low milage and Termigs fitted, however it gives room for negotiation :)

There is nothing wrong with monsters, SWMBO has a 750ie and is very happy with it. OK it wont go places that the GS will but it is a very capable touring toy.
I know a few monster owners and some of them have racked up decent milages.

have a look at monster owners club.

Next bank holiday is their national meet at Arrow if you fancy a ride out, the owners will only be to pleased to tell you what they are like.

And there are a few owners who get on this forum:thumb

There is nothing wrong with monsters, SWMBO has a 750ie and is very happy with it. OK it wont go places that the GS will but it is a very capable touring toy.
I know a few monster owners and some of them have racked up decent milages.

have a look at monster owners club.

Next bank holiday is their national meet at Arrow if you fancy a ride out, the owners will only be to pleased to tell you what they are like.

And there are a few owners who get on this forum:thumb

Thanks Keith!

I had a look on that club website and there are a few going in the FS&W section. The £3k one is on there. Just not sure if I will get a good range of response about prices.

At least on here you know you will get a opposing views on prices :D

If I turn up (gatecrash) ... will they take offence? Are you planning to go?

:nenau

Great bikes, me and the other half had them. I had an '04' S4R and Jo had a '98' M750. We kept them for about 2.5 years. Used them loads and didn't have One breakdown, just a flat tyre once on the 750 coming back from holiday down Dorset. Obviousley thing's can go wrong with any bike, however nothing happened to our's. Just keep them serviced and make sure the cambelts are changed every 2 years. (oh and the cost for belts for the M750 was £34.00 from Wolves Ducati).

Wish I had'nt sold mine.... big mistake and will have another one day:thumb2

www.ukmonster.co.uk as metioned is full of info:thumb2

One common problem is the Live to the starter motor. Water gets trapped in the rubber boot and will corrode the contact, keep it well greesed and check when buying a used one :thumb2

i own a Monster S2R1000. Its a great bike full of character and easy to ride very fast. It invokes a feeling similar to whizzing slightly out of control down down a snowy hillside on a sledge.

Dealer wise I think things are variable with many dealers very good and knowledgable. I am very happy with Parkinsons in Colchester.

The reliabilty gloom mongers based on my experience of many Monster owners are talking rot. My Monster has been just as reliable as my BMW.

I would always want a solid service history and I would be careful about modifications (though some of them look great).

The UK Monster owners club is the place to go for futher details.

Get one if you possibly can.

I had an early M900, i loved the look of the bike but it was a bit 'fluffy' to ride, not monster enough for me really, handling was odd as well and considering I was coming from a Harley and various 80's jap fours, i was expecting more from the duke. The clutch rattle took a bit of getting used to as well.

In the end it was service costs that frightened me off.

I do like the idea of the S4's, the extra power and reputedly better handling may tempt me back sometime in the future.

Shep

Any of you owned and lived with a Ducati Monster?

What are they like to own? Dealers?

Where can I get good pricing informtion for 2nd ones?

If I want one just to pose on around London, is the 600 or 620 enough? Or should I get a Harley sportster?

Any advice welcome!

Cheers :thumb

My 02 620ie was the most reliable bike I have ever owned (that includes the current Beemer). Don't believe the knockers - look after them and Ducati are at least as good as any other make. The servicing is expensive, but the new models know have an extended service interval, 7,500 miles I think, so are now much less expensive to own.

P.S. oh and they are great for posing around town - keep it shiny and they get more admiring looks than any other bike :)

They look fantastic:thumb A bigger tank and little rack at the back and i could be tempted, touble is there are alot of bikes about that I like but I only have room in my life, nowadays, for one, so that has to do everything:thumb

I can still dream though:eek:

Shep
I have to agree, too many bikes and too little room, this has looked good for the last year or so, but something big would have to give to get one of these and I am not convinced it is worth the hassle.

I would still give it house room

I've got an S2R800.

It is fantastic and has been totally reliable so far, although it is only 12 months old. Fuel injected bikes are apparently more reliable.

I also think they are fantastic value for money - you should be able to get a 1 year old S2R800 for around £4000.
If you want if for riding about town you would be best getting a 620 or S2R800 with a wet slipper clutch - the bigger or older bikes have very unfriendly dry clutches for riding in traffic.

sideS2R.jpg

beautifulS2R.jpg

Go on - you know it looks better than a Harley!

Thanks for the advice and great looking bike!

It was back in 1992 (I think :rob ) with the front cover of Bike magazine and the picture of a M900 being wheelied that finally pushed me into doing my bike license test. It was and still is a dream bike for me. I thought I would have bought one of those before the GS which was my other dream bike as it is far more manageable in size for me :D

Just been looking at the ads .. and you can get early ones for around £1k - £2k. Which I thought would make "cheap" motoring ... forgetting about servicing :eek:

How much do they cost to service from an independent? I am about to pay around £270 for my 12,000 miles service for the 1200. Is it a lot more than that? :confused:

T

Back
Top Bottom