How long before a Quest battery fails to re-charge

(RIP) Perryhill

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My Quest 1 (243mb version) doesn't seem to want to hold its charge anymore. I guess it is about 3 years old soit may have reached the end of its life. :tears

a) is this likely

b) any idea how much/long Garmin would be

Ta

Neville

Not sure how easy it is to replace but it looks like the battery is a Samsung component.

quest-inside-2.jpg

Image is from the Elsinga Quest FAQ

Don't know if Garmin do their normal service exchange for a battery replacement, ISTR that it's about £90 or so (US site lists as $150)

Google

have a similar problem, did a search on Google and see a post saying that a Sony Clie N610C will replace it.

£18.26 on ebay.

Bit of soldering required.

Dave

As the Quest is 'waterproof' is there any issue with changing the battery yourself?

have you investigated whether Garmin will do this for you?

Just wondering as mine is only ever used on the bike, and the waterproofishness (???) is why I like it.

As the Quest is 'waterproof' is there any issue with changing the battery yourself?

have you investigated whether Garmin will do this for you?

Just wondering as mine is only ever used on the bike, and the waterproofishness (???) is why I like it.
There's a rubber gasket that seals the split in the cases, so long as you get that lined up properly when you reassemble your Quest I don't think you'll have a problem.

I've had both my Quest and my 2720 apart and haven't, as far as I can tell, had any problems with either in respect of water ingress to date.

Obviously if your GPS is still in warranty then Garmin is your first port of call otherwise I imagine it would be an exchange unit at the regular price which IMHO would make the DIY option the only viable way. Of course with the exchange unit you do get up to date mapping which should be factored in if you need it.

There's a rubber gasket that seals the split in the cases, so long as you get that lined up properly when you reassemble your Quest I don't think you'll have a problem.

I've had both my Quest and my 2720 apart and haven't, as far as I can tell, had any problems with either in respect of water ingress to date.

Oh that's relatively simple then.

I know that some manufacturers get clever when things are supposed to be waterproof, but with my limited tech ability even I should be able to deal with a gasket.............. maybe.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

Dave#...

Back
Top Bottom