Baehr Ultima XL experiences ...

silvermog

Reaction score
Well, after my plea for experiences with a Baehr setup (http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103505&highlight=baehr) and the responses leading to my getting the bike fitted out by Chris recently, I promised to feedback about the system ... so here it is ...

As you can see in the earlier thread I was switching from a Starcom1 Advance system, which although I was generally happy seemed to have some issues with electrical interference on my bike (06 R1200GSA). After chatting with Chris at some length his advice was to install a Verso XL.

Given the system price, this time I was very keen to get it fitted properly, so earlier this month I hauled the GSA upto Dalkieth to have Chris fit out the system (and strip out the Starcom).

Can't say enough good things about Chris's setup, manner or installation, very convincing and professionally done. Apart from the obvious 'kiddy in sweet shop' issue of waiting around while Chris fitted out my bike, the installation is extremely neat and well done.

I opted to get the rider connection surface mounted on the beak (left power aux socket location in the winglet cutout), with the pillion connection flylead clipped to the right rear frame. The unit is mounted in the tool tray, with all cables double sealed and clipped away and routed carefully to avoid interference.

Chris was working on some other installations while I was there and surprised me with a Baehr fitted bike-to-bike setup on a customers bike ... so before he went too far, my installation turned into a complete kit with bike-to-bike also ;-)

The radio kit is dedicated (Silveline Dista U), with hookups to the Ultima, sealed encasement and bike powered with a remote aerial on the right of the beak. It occupies the manual holder at front of the underseat. So, with a full installation, two helmet fitouts and a change in plan during installation (sorry!), it was all installed, tested and working for me to rideout at 1pm (8:45am start).

So first impressions ...

The ride back from Scotland to S.Wales was great, iPod nano playing back nicely to keep me awake, Nav III pinging away nicely, with my sing-along being ignored by the Baehr. Audio levels are fine, at the first stop I knocked the rider audio levels to minimum (as Chris had warned I probably would), due to using in-ear monitors rather than helmet speakers.

As we were off to Spain a week later the bike was in for service immediately I returned, so we didn't get chance to play with the pillion to rider intercom, etc until the morning of the ride to Spain.

Needless to say, it worked perfectly first time out. The open mic system is great working really well and not suffering the audio clipping of some systems, you can hear the audio sensitivity of the noise suppressor working when you step up the ambient noise (ie. speed up). Audio to both headsets is nicely faded out to the primary input of the GPS and then ramped back up cleanly.

No interference, no audio problems upto 100mph (where the noise in my Tour-X is the biggest problem), very impressed.

We met one of our riding partners at the port, who was equipped with bike-to-bike hanging off an Autocom system, 5 mins of playing proved that his transmissions were loud and clear thru to my system, but my return trasmission were lost to his radio. We put off further investigation until that evening, with more beer available!

It turned out that the transmission of the Baehr radio, whilst on a standard channel, required that his radio tone squelch be adjusted (possiby suppressed?), which once we'd consulted his manual and programmed solved our radio glitches. Once paired up, the range for my transmissions was generally about 1.5-2km in the Picos, 3km on the flat, whilst his returns were definately lowered powered (bike powered radio, but standard antenna).

So, my only negative feedback (inconsequential) about the whole system is that the double sided tape holding the PTT button on the left control pod gave up the ghost in the heat of Northern Spain (or maybe I was ham-fisted pressing the button!), so it'll be screwed up thru the pod next time.

All in all, I'm delighted, both with the quality of the kit and the installation experience, I can think of no higher recommendation than that it became near invisible in its operation, whilst the PTT radio was really handy in some nasty road situations in Spain. I'm sure as intercom systems go, its a more expensive solution than some, but its transparent operation more than compensates especially in comparison to some previous systems I've tried.

If anyone is interested in any photos of the installation, I'm sure I can rustle some up, but I'd strongly suggest people give Chris a ring ...

BTW, Chris if you are reading this, I might be back for you to refit my system to a new GSA, as the servo assistance on my brakes packed up in the Pyrenees (not funny!), so I think an 07 without is on the cards ... ;-)

SilverMog

Baehr Silverline Dista U Radio - http://www.baehruk.com/eshop/baehr-...ke-for-use-with-baehr-communications-systems/
Baehr Silveline Ultima XL - http://www.baehruk.com/eshop/baehr-motorcycle-communications/baehr/silverline-ultima-xl/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom