clutch relese bearing

bumpmuncher

Reaction score
hello i have got a 93 100gs 29.000miles the clutch relese bearing seems to be a bit grumbly, quiet when lever pulled in how long is it likely to last or does it need imidiate attention. my reason for asking is on a car it could last 10s of thousands of miles. i dont want to have it appart if its not entirely nescesery would rather wait untill clutch needs doing. cheers Bm

That sounds more like a knackered gearbox :eek:

both of my light flywheel airheads are noisy at tickover when the engines hot, the noise goes away when the clutch is pulled in.

My 29 year old heavy flywheel R100 remains very quiet hot or cold :rolleyes:

A new release bearings cheap and quite easy to do. Why bother waiting for the clutch to die?

As Rob says, you don't need to touch the clutch to replace a thrust bearing.

20 minutes work at the rear of the box.

But it doesn't sound like the thrust bearing. Thrust bearing is only working when the clutch is pulled in.

Sounds more like the gearbox. Most of them make the same sound.

cheers for the replys will keep an eye on it do a few miles and see how it is. new to airhead gs's so not sure what is normal. in comparison to my previous bikes the gearbox slick and sweet (is that the time to be paranoid) Bm

cheers for the replys will keep an eye on it do a few miles and see how it is. new to airhead gs's so not sure what is normal. in comparison to my previous bikes the gearbox slick and sweet (is that the time to be paranoid) Bm

BM never made a slick and sweet gearbox. There's clearly something very wrong :D

Fit a louder exhaust, if that doesn't cure it use earplugs. Don't worry until it doesn't go anymore :thumb

1./ Rob,

yer an awful man:eek
:thumb
:D

2./
fwiw,
i'm no expert - but when the release bearing was on the way out on my old R80/7 (heavy flywheel -1980 - but very similar), i confirmed it by spraying a load of WD40 as far as i could up the pushrod / bearing assembly.
this, very briefly, cut down the rumbling noise it made.

but it confirmed it was the bearing / assembly (i replaced the lot)

hope that helps.

ok i am paranoid now :rolleyes: got AA so wont worry too much:aidan . kwak were never revered for their gearboxes and yam were famous for their second gear problems 80' fj's. I will get on with it and enjoy one of the best bikes i have owned and when it brakes i hope it will be just as enjoyable to fix. dare say i will be back with more daft questions. cheers Bm

1i'm no expert - but when the release bearing was on the way out on my old R80/7 (heavy flywheel -1980 - but very similar), i confirmed it by spraying a load of WD40 as far as i could up the pushrod / bearing assembly.
this, very briefly, cut down the rumbling noise it made.

Different item altogether. The pushrods used to snap on the early (pre81) bikes = the taper roller bearing used to get squared off and disintegrate, which caused the pushrod to snap.

Different item altogether. The pushrods used to snap on the early (pre81) bikes = the taper roller bearing used to get squared off and disintegrate, which caused the pushrod to snap.

i stand corrected by Master Steptoe:bow
;)

sorry for this misleading and probably paranoia inducing MISinfo.:eek:
i'll shuddup in future.

ogmios dont worry i can get paraniod all by myself:blast if you dont open your mouth you can spend years thinking the wrong thing. this seems like the kind of place you get corrected not like some of the other fora i frequent it just gos verry quiet and the thread dies before the question gets answered
fucking numpty twats. Bm

For what they cost it's worth changing it now for peace of mind.

BMW replaced the original release bearing (the multipart bearing below) with a one piece item. The newer part can sometimes bind giving a jerky clutch release.

For the sake of £11 it's worth fitting a new one. If that doesn't cure it get the gearbox rebuilt before it does any real damage - it's only an hours work to get the box out.

This is from the motorworks site under clutch actuation. The original multipart bearing wasn't available a while back but seems to be now.

Attachments

• clutch parts.JPG
    clutch parts.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 196
If you need any exploded views then use www.realoem.com and pick your bike and year.

Clutch actuation parts for your bike :thumb

Bits like this are usually cheap on BMWs. I tend to replace all the parts that wear with new parts because it's cheap and once done can be forgotten about for years. The most expensive part for the clutch actuation is the rubber boot on the outer cover (part number 5) - £8.

Attachments

• clutch parts.JPG
    clutch parts.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 207
brilliant thanks every one for the replys. will come back and tell you how it went.(may be a while off to work this week) thanks again Bm

update
have striped it cleaned greased and adjusted. its just the same quiet when lever pulled in. so what is the score with the gear box as regard to the noise. off to the other side of the country on it tomorrow well southampton. Bm

Back
Top Bottom