Route to Ullapool

Dellis

Reaction score
I'm off to Ullapool on Saturday and would normally head up to Glasgow then take A80/A84 via Callander (I usually head home via the Loch Lomond side) join the A82 at Crianlarich up to Fort William etc. My question is would I enjoy the A9 route as much as my usual route? I know this is a subjective question but I think that the A82 is fantastic and am loath to take the A9 to find I am disappointed. FWIW I'm not took keen on the A9 north of Inverness.

All input appreciated.

Dave

Normal Route
Route1.jpg

Route under consideration
Route2.jpg

A9 is pretty boring but it gets the miles over with....

That said, there are still quite a few sections of the 'Old A9' open that run along side, the best bit being from just south of Newtomore through to Carrbridge....via Aviemore....

If you've not done it before, may as well give it a shot..;)

It also means you get to go over the Kessock Bridge at Inverness and across the Black Isle to Tore....you also get to pickup the A835 at the start, well worth it for that too...

Oooooh so many new reasons to do it...:thumb

If you're going as far as Ullapool, then I'd recommend enjoying the 30 mile stretch North between Ullapool and Loch Inver. Just follow the sign post right just after the Shell garage as you're entering Ullapool. Another fantastic stretch of road. Big Bertha (my R1150RT) and I very much enjoyed the experience last week whilst on the ride-out organised by Southport Superbikes.

If you're going as far as Ullapool, then I'd recommend enjoying the 30 mile stretch North between Ullapool and Loch Inver. Just follow the sign post right just after the Shell garage as you're entering Ullapool. Another fantastic stretch of road. Big Bertha (my R1150RT) and I very much enjoyed the experience last week whilst on the ride-out organised by Southport Superbikes.

I know that road and it's a corker with some fantastic views. This weekend we've riding to Ullapool on Saturday, meeting some friends fom Skye there, Sunday will be spent running down the coast road then over Bealach na Ba to Kylakin on Skye, a few beers there on Sunday evening and run back home to Cheshire on Monday.

Dave

That's a heck of a trip back. Last Thursday I rode from Tain (30 miles North of Inverness) to Wigan and my word did I feel it afterwards!

This is the route we took on the first may bank Holiday.. great scenery and great roads too.

route1.jpg

Hope you have a great time.:beerjug:

Attachments

• route.gdb
    73.9 KB · Views: 40
Take your usual route - as previously stated, the A9 eats up the miles, but you can probably keep up a decent speed on your usual route without the unmarked cars :spitfire (hopefully)

Al :thumb2

I'm not sure of your time constraint but if I were you I would take the same route to Fort William and then head up to Invergarry and hang a left onto the A87 to the Kyle of Lochalsh. Before Lochals turn right onto the A890 towardss Achnasheen and then on to Garvew along the A832. Once at GArve turn left and you will be on the finest stretch of road known to man - the A835 into Ullapool. Enjoy yourselves.:thumb

ndy T

I would post a Mapsource Pic if I knew how to:(

I'm not sure of your time constraint but if I were you I would take the same route to Fort William and then head up to Invergarry and hang a left onto the A87 to the Kyle of Lochalsh. Before Lochals turn right onto the A890 towardss Achnasheen and then on to Garvew along the A832. Once at GArve turn left and you will be on the finest stretch of road known to man - the A835 into Ullapool. Enjoy yourselves.:thumb

ndy T

I would post a Mapsource Pic if I knew how to:(

I know all of those roads and agree they are great. My favorite is the A87 to Kyle, it's also the one best known to me as I have friends who live just over the water in Kyleakin on Skye.

Dave

Take your usual route - as previously stated, the A9 eats up the miles, but you can probably keep up a decent speed on your usual route without the unmarked cars :spitfire (hopefully)

Al :thumb2

That's the conclusion I've come to too.

Thanks to one and all for the input.

Dave :thumb

Thought this might come in handy
There are various versions of these denoting numbers on them

31.jpg

:D

Another option over some high roads :thumb
From Perth head for Blairgowrie and over Glenshee (2180ft) to Braemar then over the Lecht (2090ft) to Tomintoul, Grantown-on-Spey and rejoin the A9 north of Carrbridge (A93/B976/A939/A95/A938)

Not the A9, I detest that road.

Not just because of the scameras and the unmarked cars and bikes, not because of the way it splits from single to duel carriageway and the dozy drivers forget that they are on single and pull out to overtake without looking.
Not because it’s got one of the worst safety records in Scotland.

No, its because its boring. :blast

I don’t know what the safety record on the A9 is, but I was on a roll, bite me.

Not the A9, I detest that road.

Not just because of the scameras and the unmarked cars and bikes, not because of the way it splits from single to duel carriageway and the dozy drivers forget that they are on single and pull out to overtake without looking.
Not because it’s got one of the worst safety records in Scotland.

No, its because its boring. :blast

I don’t know what the safety record on the A9 is, but I was on a roll, bite me.

Well that just about settles it, I'll be going by my usual route.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom