Oil level

evenflow

Reaction score
I presume that checking the oil level on my 1200GS is the same 'black art 'as it was on my 1150, or has it changed

I'd say whatever worked on the 1150 works on the 1200. Except if you have the onboard "computor" it does it for you :) Interestingly it'll only show the level when the speedo shows zero and the oil up to temperature :cool:

The manual warns you not to only use the oil level check feature on the 'puter. You still have to check the sight glass. Normall 5-10 minutes after a run.

My personal method for my 1200:

1) Check at least some oil is visible in sightglass with bike on centrestand.
2) Start bike and observe oil level stays at least in bottom of window. If not, stop engine and add a bit. Restart engine and check oil warning light clear/no unusual rattles.
3) Run engine until thermostat opens and hot oil can be felt at oil cooler under beak. Oil is now fully circulating and not trapped anywhere in cooling system.
4) Stop engine, go and put kettle on. Make tea (or coffee if you like). Oil level slowly rises whilst kettle boils.
5) Check oil level, top up as necessary. Enjoy cuppa.

The manual warns you not to only use the oil level check feature on the 'puter. You still have to check the sight glass. Normall 5-10 minutes after a run.

I'm only on the 7th boxer engined bike. That's how I know the oil level computer check isn't telling porkies ;)

Strange thing is that in the 1000 miles since the 600 mile service, I've not to had any oil :confused: yet

Everlasting oil?

I'm only on the 7th boxer engined bike. That's how I know the oil level computer check isn't telling porkies ;)

Strange thing is that in the 1000 miles since the 600 mile service, I've not to had any oil :confused: yet

2000 miles since 600 service - no oil required yet. Might actually get to a 3K change without adding any.

I don't get this oil level check worry that so many seem to whittle on about, if I can see oil in my sight glass after a run, then it's got oil in it.

If the level looks a bit low, bang a drop in, job done.

:nenau

yep, as below

I don't get this oil level check worry that so many seem to whittle on about, if I can see oil in my sight glass after a run, then it's got oil in it.

If the level looks a bit low, bang a drop in, job done.

:nenau

I only use the finest extra virgin olive oil though.

Back
Top Bottom