Time for a change

bgd

Test rode the 1150gs today and I think it's time I traded in my trusty 650gs for the bigger chap. Any issues with purchasing the demo bike? 1K price difference.

Just be sure that it's the spec you want.

Colour, ABS & gearbox can't be changed except when the bike is being built. Heated grips are best fitted in the factory too! Seat colour is a no-cost option if you buy new, but the dealer may swap what's on there to get a sale.

Greg

Agreed

Nice thought that you will get 1k off the bike, the only problem that I have ever thought about is that this bike has been thrashed from day one. I know what I did on the two demos I had and I didn't treat my own bike like it on run in etc.

Now there is a differing opinion on whether this is good or not.....I know that I would prefer to know.

You may wish to consider used as there are plenty of low mileage bikes around.....may save money that way also. I was at SPC today, I couldn't believe the amount of used bikes sitting in the showroom, you couldn't even get to them it was so packed.

HTH, Nick

Greg Masters said:
Just be sure that it's the spec you want.

Colour, ABS & gearbox can't be changed except when the bike is being built. Heated grips are best fitted in the factory too! Seat colour is a no-cost option if you buy new, but the dealer may swap what's on there to get a sale.

Greg

On a cost basis alone ALL options are best fitted in the factory, for example:
Crash bars: Factory Fitted CY£220
Dealer Fitted CY£474

30L Tank : F/F CY£250
D/F CY£860

Unless of course you go the non BMW route...:beerjug:

Bike has all the extras I want, I'm more interested in the fact that it won't have followed the normal run in procedure. Will have under 2k on the clock but as to how hard those miles have been is anyone's guess.

I'm afraid that all demo bikes get the tits screamed off them... Went up with a friend on Friday to demo GS, he hammered that and then a K12-RS, I'm the same I'm afraid....but then I buy the bloody things and do the rest of the running in to the letter... dumb or what???:shoot:

How long are you planning on keeping it?

bgd said:
Bike has all the extras I want, I'm more interested in the fact that it won't have followed the normal run in procedure. Will have under 2k on the clock but as to how hard those miles have been is anyone's guess.

Depends on how long you plan to keep it. You will get a 2 year warranty and the reassurance that most mechanical bits will be replaced to new if they blow, however, if you plan to keep your bike for a longer time, consider a longer warranty.

As I said, people ride demos like they stole them, keep that in mind. Infact only punters. The salesmen I know on any machine will trash the f++k off it as it isn't their bike.

Keep this is mind and the decision is yours.

HTH, Nick

bgd said:
Test rode the 1150gs today and I think it's time I traded in my trusty 650gs for the bigger chap. Any issues with purchasing the demo bike? 1K price difference.
If its Prestige's Grafeetan, I've run it through its paces for half a day and given the suspension a good workout so it'll be nicely bedded-in for ya!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Pointed out a leaking rear brake resevoir - hope they sorted that out and any damage the brake fluid might have done.

Found this posted on the B*W club forum - may be of interest to you.

2000/X GS in excellent condition, Silver, BMW Topbox and Panniers, heated grips, handguards, Remus Titanium can and Y-piece, mudguard extender, Full BMWSH, in immaculate condition - 9000 dry miles. Non ABS model, UK bike. Two careful owners. All original parts included. Love affair with flying forces reluctant sale - would consider P/X for F650. Located Sussex (Brighton). £6750.

BGD - the ad quoted above is mine - mail me at jasonp%landl.freeserve.co.uk (replace the % with @ - stops too much spam!) or call 01273 885117 for more info if you're interested in a P/X

Cheers

Jason

Thanks for all your replies.

Have been mulling this over and I'm probably going to buy new. I intend to hold onto this bike for quite some time and think I'd rather have the job of running it in.

It was the bike at Prestige, liked the colour but not sure about the red seat.

I don't know about the rest of you but I think it's a shame they changed mandarin for that sun yellow - doesn't do anything for me at all.

bgd said:
...I don't know about the rest of you but I think it's a shame they changed mandarin for that sun yellow - doesn't do anything for me at all.

I agree, I was looking at a "new" yellow GS yesterday, flat as a witches tit.. They got that one wrong..:eek:

Back
Top Bottom