A Really Special Trip To Deutschland

• Thread starter Deleted account rno
  • Start date

Deleted account rno

Me and Mrs Ronno (Christine) just got back yesterday from a 10 day trip to Germany to see my family. We go at least twice year but this trip was really special for us. We took our three year old Grandson, Charlie with us for what was for all of us, a really excellent adventure. It was Charlie's first time to Germany and his first meeting with my Mum and Dad.

The wee guy is a real star and stays with us for the weekends regularly. However, we were more than a little apprehensive as to how we would get on with him being separated from his Mum and older brother and sister for so long. No worries. Wee Charlie took it all in his stride. He was better than we could ever have dreamed of and he couldn't have behaved or enjoyed himself any better or more.

Charlie hasn't had the easiest start in life. He lost his Dad under tragic circumstances about 18 months ago. My parents were devasted at being unable to come over for the funeral and see my daughter Lynsey and the three kids. My Dad was unable to make the journey over due to ill health and my Mum wouldn't leave Dad on his own. I know how much this hurt them both and being now in their 80's, I feared that they might never get to meet Charlie. Thankfully, the green light from my daughter changed all that and my parents finally got to say hello to their youngest Great-Grandchild. It was really touching when they met him last Friday morning.

I was in two minds how much detail to give about Charlie's background on here but he is such a great kid and a real credit to how my daughter Lynsey has coped on her own that I'm proud to fill you in in some family history.

I hope you don't mind this slighty self indulgent post but I'm a very proud "Opa" indeed :thumb2

Here are some photos of our magical trip...

Here's Charlie on the Newcastle ferry heading across the North Sea to begin his great adventure.

156963916-L-1.jpg

Charlie loves animals and birds so my brother-in-law Guenter quickly had a new helper in his aviary.

156968355-L.jpg

My sister's garden is slightly bigger and better looked after than my own one. The building at the foot of the garden is a Granny flat where my nephew lives. The flag flying for Charlie's arrival was a nice touch.

156973341-L.jpg

Keeping Wee Charlie occupied and entertained was fairly easy during the holiday. He loves parks, playing football, mucking around in pools and as mentioned before animals. Here he is at a wee park between my sister's house and where my parents live. It's a five minute walk between the houses. I reckon Charlie could be a GSer in the making...

156975234-L.jpg

There is a tile museum in Jockgrim which is on the site formerly occupied by Ludowici who was the main employer the town when my Dad was growing up. Storks now nest in the chimney of the museum and they regularly "fly past" at low heights in the evenings. They're an incredible sight to see. There are a good few storks now resident in the area after disappearing for over twenty odd years.

156976348-L-1.jpg

Here are a couple of photos of Jockgrim's architecture. It's a cracking wee village. Especially the older part of town.

156991539-L-2.jpg

156993576-L-1.jpg

We went to an animal farm at Bretten near Karlsruhe where Charlie was able to wander among the animals and feed them by hand. He chickened out of hand feeding this monkey and threw the carrot at his feet.

157010203-L-1.jpg

It was a brilliant place for kids (of all ages :rolleyes: ) to meet animals and learn about handling them. It was 4 Euros to get in. It seems that Germans don't believe in ripping off children.

157012675-L.jpg

The next day, we headed into Schwarzwald to visit one of my favourite places: Freudenstadt. Here's Charlie at the street fountains in Markt Platz.

157026291-L-1.jpg

...which, being a typical wee boy, he then had to run through...

157032786-L-1.jpg

I fulfilled a long time ambition by buying my Grandson a pair of lederhosen. Here is Charlie (or Karl-Heinz) in his new atire. He looks the part, eh?

157046910-L-1.jpg

No trip to Schwarzwald could be complete without a bit of Black Forest gateau. Charlie took to the German food without any problems much to the delight of my Old Man...

157031748-L-1.jpg

A great day out was rounded off by a dip in the outdoor pool at Panorama Bad. The temperatures seldom dropped below 30 degrees during our trip.

157059559-L.jpg

The following day we headed off to Holiday Park, Hassloch for a really enjoyable day. It had everything for kids of every age, including rides that made my head spin just watching them.

This seemed about my limit of danger...

157075246-L.jpg

157077380-L.jpg

A trip to Wilhelma Zoo, Stuttgart was next on the agenda. I don't agree with zoos but have got to say that the one at Stuttart is very modern and beautifully maintained. The main reason that I wanted to go was to see their famous monkey Kinder Garten where they care for abandoned young primates.

Here are a few pics from the day.

157130091-L-1.jpg

157133678-L-1.jpg

157148462-L.jpg

157161172-L.jpg

Here are a couple more shots of Jockgrim that I took.

157187710-L-1.jpg

I quite like this photo but it was a complete fluke. My original intention was simply to take a photo of the Jockgrim sign.

157201070-L-1.jpg

Is this a Bayern Munchen star of the future? He's a got great balance and is all left foot...

157307758-L-1.jpg

My Dad only got out of hospital a few days before we arrived. He'd spent six weeks there recovering from his third hip operation. His mobility isn't great just now but he managed to take Charlie to his AWO Verein (a club with cheap bevvie for auld retired boys) and was proud to show the wee guy off to his mates. I'm not so sure about showing me off though...

Most old guys in Jockgrim drink Schorle (pints of wine and soda). It's lethal to me but my Dad can sink pints of it and take whisky on top without it seemingly effecting him. Mind you, his balance isn't that great even when he's sober. Me, I tend to stick to the bier. Here's my Dad with a pint of Schorle and a re-inforcement at the ready. The Barman at the AWO (behind my Dad in the photo) is Roland Daminger who's dad played international football for Germany.

157330422-L-2.jpg

Charlie is now the youngest Honourary member of the AWO Verein in Jockgrim. I think that their Initiation Ceremony is possibly a bit like the Masons...

157329182-L-2.jpg

Here's a photo of Charlie at Hinderstadtl, Jockgrim where I have so many happy memories of childhood holidays. It was brilliant to be able to take him there for hopefully the start of many happy memories for Charlie.

157340394-L.jpg

This is a really special photo for me. It was taken on Sunday morning just before we left for the long drive to Ijmuiden. It's a photo that I always hoped that I'd be able to take but never thought that I would...

157346354-L.jpg

Me and Christine really had the holiday of a lifetime thanks to Oor Wee Charlie. When we took him home to his excited Mum and big brother and sister, we were quicky told that Jack and Megan wanted to come next time. This is thanks to how much fun that Charlie had in Germany.

Here is the happy reunion.

157348185-L-1.jpg

Thanks for allowing me to share this with you...

Ronno

What brilliant pictures, it is sure to be a trip he will never forget, nor your parents :) A good reason to learn another language at a later date as well.

Looks like it is worth a visit at some point :thumb

Great post, great photo's. :thumb2

(I used to have lederhosen when I was kid. I'd forgotten all about that until seeing this. :beerjug: ).

Lovely report Ronnie.......really nice to see :) :thumb2

It was all going so well until you got to the lederhosen thing....I've contacted social services and they should be in touch soon ;)

Good times with family and loved ones...that's what it's all about, this life thing, ain't it :) :clap

Excellent post Ronno - I tend to get the impression you are very proud of the lad:rolleyes: quite rightly so.

The photos were great too and I just checked out where Jockgrim is and realised it is close to Karlsrue. I had to go there for work a few years ago and the company over there let us down with the testing they had promised so I had no alternative to go on the bevvie..... wow 0500 in the morning and still boozing. I remember a bar in the centre called the Museum Rooms (MuseumKamers) and it was absolutely wall to wall with stunning women, alot of croations and Basnians if I remember correctly. The Hotel we were staying in was full of Actors from a shoot close by. They were filming Buffalo Soldiers which I have yet to see.

Anyway, I digress... great you, Christine and young Charlie enjoyed your holiday. You should have gone down to Fussen and Neuwansctein where they filmed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, he would have been right at home there;)

All the best

Andy

PS if there's one pic that tells us yon laddie's gonna be a tosser, it's this one :D

157329416-M-2.jpg

Could have been taken at any event I've been to in the last four years :aidan

Excellent post Ronno - I tend to get the impression you are very proud of the lad:rolleyes: quite rightly so.

The photos were great too and I just checked out where Jockgrim is and realised it is close to Karlsrue. I had to go there for work a few years ago and the company over there let us down with the testing they had promised so I had no alternative to go on the bevvie..... wow 0500 in the morning and still boozing. I remember a bar in the centre called the Museum Rooms (MuseumKamers) and it was absolutely wall to wall with stunning women, alot of croations and Basnians if I remember correctly. The Hotel we were staying in was full of Actors from a shoot close by. They were filming Buffalo Soldiers which I have yet to see.

Anyway, I digress... great you, Christine and young Charlie enjoyed your holiday. You should have gone down to Fussen and Neuwansctein where they filmed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, he would have been right at home there;)

All the best

Andy

Hi Andy. It's a small world. I was born in Karlsruhe.

Part of Buffallo Soldiers was filmed in Hinderstadtl, Jockgrim. The part where the tank blows up the filling station.

Joachim Pheonix who starred in Buffallo Soldiers also has a German connection. He's got a Herr Lip...:eek:

sorry...

Great report Ronno. I see you failed miserably to keep your Dad off the booze. :rolleyes: Good to see him looking so hale and hearty. :thumb2

The wee guy's a dab hand wi the camera himself:clap

Bad craic sneaking up on Grampa first thing in the morning though:rolleyes:

157133678-L-1.jpg

Glad you had a great time Ronnie and I'm so pleased for your Maw n Da they must have been ower the moon:thumb

It was all going so well until you got to the lederhosen thing....I've contacted social services and they should be in touch

Just cause the wee guy wears Lederhosen, there's really no need to contact the SS

:D

The wee guy's a dab hand wi the camera himself:clap

Bad craic sneaking up on Grampa first thing in the morning though:rolleyes:

157133678-L-1.jpg

Glad you had a great time Ronnie and I'm so pleased for your Maw n Da they must have been ower the moon:thumb

Aye and he managed to get one of you in the bath

157148462-L.jpg

Seriously looked like a great holiday, one for the family history books, must feel great to be back dealing with the cream of Methil :augie

cya soon :thumb2

Stumpy

Never mind being sentimental Ronnie - you enjoy it, because Charlie will remember it for the rest of his life.
My oldest celebrates his 18th birthday today, and the wife got something like 60 pics of him through the last 18yrs and has posted them throguhout the house. Nine weeks premature and now going on to be an arts student. Cool.:cool:
Chuffed - nah, just surprised we made it this far, and no ones found out we don't have a clue.
Well done Ronnie...

Attachments

• me on the 25th.jpg
    me on the 25th.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 166
  • Pose!.jpg
    Pose!.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 165
Never mind being sentimental Ronnie - you enjoy it, because Charlie will remember it for the rest of his life.
My oldest celebrates his 18th birthday today, and the wife got something like 60 pics of him through the last 18yrs and has posted them throguhout the house. Nine weeks premature and now going on to be an arts student. Cool.:cool:
Chuffed - nah, just surprised we made it this far, and no ones found out we don't have a clue.
Well done Ronnie...

You don't say what you're son's name is, Charles but wish him a Happy Birthday form all us Tossers in Scotland :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom