GPS or Map?

gavin

I've been considering buying a GPS navigation system, but not knowing how they work or how effective they are has prompted me to ask a question. Is it possible to plot a route on a GPS using the 'white' unclassified roads as shown on the touring maps that are readily available over the counter of bookstores and petrol stations ? Will the GPS avoid these roads if a B or A road will take you to the same place? The reason i ask is that most of the 'white' roads are virtually empty, much more scenic, and are ideally surfaced for a GS!

The picture posted by Rod is what I think of as an OS 'white'. One just up the road from me certainly features on the Garmin City Select mapping data.

Whether the software routes you over those roads depends on the settings that you have selected. On the SPIII you can opt to avoid U-turns; toll roads; motorways. You can also select whether you want the shortest or the quickest route. Believe me, the 'shortest' route will include whites if they make the route shorter!

Greg

Maps

Maps,everytime for me - more interesting and easier to follow.
Everybody I've ever seen use a GPS,still has to look at maps.
To a technophobe like me.............bit of a gimmick.
Great for the Sahara or Mid Atlantic,but we're in Western Europe.........for god's sake.

My GPSR is not a gadget anymore, I don't even consider it a tool, it is just essential.
After you have used one for a couple of days you will realise how very useful they are.

And yes, when I am staying overnight away from home, I often take a paper map as well.

Just leaving the GPSR in moving map mode (not auto-routing) and following the side roads is interesting too (and stress free).

A GPS doesn't totally replace maps, and I agree with Jonny Boxer that maps are far more interesting however..... when your in heavy traffic trying to find an address in a strange town or city a GPS has now equal.

Will I be throwing away my vast collection of maps? No way, but I won't give up my Streetpilot easily either:beerjug:

I didn't intend throwing the maps away, as they will be backup untill i know how to use a GPS properly, but Greg has more or less said what i wanted to know, in as much as i didn't want a GPS if it avoided 'white' roads. How do you pick a route on 'white' roads if there are not any villages to use as waypoints?, if there is A or B roads that go to the same place, will it automatically put me on to these roads instead?

The routing software in the SPIII assumes that you will average certain speeds depending on whether the road is motorway, A-road or B-road (I think that 'whites' count as B-roads).

On Mapsource (the software that goes on your PC) you can manually set the average speeds for each type of road and then produce a route to load into your SPIII.

Alternatively, you can just ask the SPIII to calculate its own route and then add Via points. These could include points halfway along your favourite whites.

Personally, I prefer to just ride wherever I fancy and, when it's time to go home, simply ask the GPS to calculate a route. If you then go off that route, the SPIII will determine a new route from where you now are (it's useful to set avoid U-turns else it may just turn you around).

All in all, the SPIII is a powerful piece of kit! Picking up on another thread, I toured Catalunya in August with my GPS but without map. Didn't get lost once even when searching for a hotel in central Barcelona!

Greg

Thanks for the input Greg, i'll start looking for a system now!

Greg said;
I toured Catalunya in August with my GPS but without map. Didn't get lost once even when searching for a hotel in central Barcelona!
How 'bout trying Seville then..........................? :rolleyes:

I haven't got one yet, but will be soon, probably a Garmin V.

I'd never rely totally on a GPS, i.e. not have a map on me.

Having a map on your tank means you can let the GPS tell you exactly where you are if you're not sure, and have a larger pictorial view of the situation.

GPS's are a very useful aid, just like maps............nothing more.

However, maps don't need power & satellites, just a pair of eyes................

Use the KISS principle..............:hug

Jon said:
How 'bout trying Seville then..........................? :rolleyes:

You've got to learn to trust the GPS! The route that it was taking us is what I've posted below - I think that circular route was because you can't turn right at the junction circled. Anyway, you lot all wussed out and decided to take your own 'short cut' - it was only then that we ended up somewhere near Aldershot!

:D

Greg

Attachments

• seville.bmp
    71.7 KB · Views: 90
P

If you're that close, just go and buy one. You will not regret it (unless you get ripped off on price). Target £800 or less for the Garmin SPIII Deluxe (check the other GPS thread).

Greg

I've got an e trex legend, which will not... plot a route for you

But will tell me where I am and if you want to you can enter or download routes

I like to use it now with a map on the tank.

With the map I can visualize my route and make decisions based on what looks intresting. With this small GPS on the bars it lets me know where I am which confirms I'm on track.

Work really well belting around normandy the other week.

It's also got a really good trip meter and it can be used on your moutain bike and fits in you pocket for hill walking.

Re: Maps

JohnnyBoxer said:
Everybody I've ever seen use a GPS,still has to look at maps.

Used my SP III to Scandinavia last month. Took a map as well. Didn't look at the map once whilst on the road. AND in Norway could only use the "base" map on the GPS.
I generally look at the map in the evening to plan the next days ride.
The SP III will take you down any road that is on the CD-ROM mapping. In places, that does include "green lanes". Please refer to "Cevennes France" thread and look at the track log I've posted. These tracks are on the CD-ROM "map".

pr0ne said:
would love to but 800 quids would break the bank right now - unless i *convinced* myself that i couldn't live without it ;-)

I bought an ex-demo 12MAP from GPSW for less than £200 some 6 months ago.

16000 miles later I have become convinced that I could utilise a more sophisticated GPS unit. I told the missus that I want a Magellan Colour for my birthday in December 2004.

A tool is, afterall, only as good as the craftsman using it. And I am still finding features on the 12MAP not mentioned in the manual.

Still, depends on what you want it for, I bought the 12 MAP because it had an internal world map that included the African Continenant, whereas the £1200 BMW jobie only covered Europe.

So if you are not intending to explore beyond Europe, the Navigator is the best. Me? If I had not intended leaving Europe I wouldn't have felt the need for a GPS in the first place.

Funny this, my advice would be to buy cheap and basic and learn what you want from a GPS for yourself before buying something special. But then that was always my advice about buying a bike.

DavidHolmes said:

Still, depends on what you want it for, I bought the 12 MAP because it had an internal world map that included the African Continenant, whereas the £1200 BMW jobie only covered Europe.

The basemap on the StreetPilot III includes all of the African continent. I assume, but don't know, that the BMW Navigator is the same in this regard.

Greg

I like the look of the GPS shown on the picture before you enter this forum Garmin ???

Who own's it and why did they buy it over the III plus delux?

Back
Top Bottom