IS MOTORRAD GPS WORTH THE EXTRA £££

Geriatric Germ

Reaction score
I'm under the impression, that BMW Garmin gives free updates/maps/downloads for life? Whereas to buy a Garmin Streetpilot 111 at between £200-£400 less you have to pay for these at between £50-£100. Can someone explain the pros and cons of which is the best route to go please.:( :(

Nope

Recent thread covered this. The updates are for the life of unit, but this is nothing compared with some of the savings to be had on the SPIII which is the same unit inners with a different packing. The software also tells you where the Dealers are on the maps.

HTH

IS MOTORRAD GPS WORTH THE EXTRA £££

IMHO no!

GPS Warehouse are now offering the SPIII Deluxe for pence over £800 (and they can be bought cheaper at Costco - but you need a card).

The SPIII Deluxe comes with useful kit that you don't get with the BMW item - especially useful if you want to use the GPS in a car.

Greg

Thanks

:) Tanks for the comments guys, and
Greg 'Sic transit gloria mundi que GS'

Real sorry to learn of your Broken Ford Van, but you'll be seeing Gloria on Monday and looks like you have to stand in line for a GS, is there still a waiting list? I believe SPC have a couple!
:jester

I got one at Costco for 705gbp. The BMW has a dealer list in it and I believe an antiglare (ie matt finish) screen. Both are nice to have, but frankly not worth the difference. I have dowloaded free software updates from Garmin.

You can always buy a sun shade from Touratech and input the waypoints for BMW dealers yourself.

bob

Re: Thanks

rcc54 said:
:)
Greg 'Sic transit gloria mundi que GS'

Real sorry to learn of your Broken Ford Van, but you'll be seeing Gloria on Monday and looks like you have to stand in line for a GS

:hapybnce:

I believe firmware updates & mapsource software updates will be free for the life of the unit. Map updates will be chargeable. This will apply to both the SPIII & BMW Nav.

For some reason BMW releases have come after the SPIII ones.

Read my lips with the exception of I believe a two year warranty for the BMW Nav there is NO reason to opt for this unit over the SPIII.

If I tell you a MBW dealer recently went and snared themself a bargain at Costco would that help?

Re: Nope

Commuter said:
Recent thread covered this. The updates are for the life of unit, but this is nothing compared with some of the savings to be had on the SPIII which is the same unit inners with a different packing. The software also tells you where the Dealers are on the maps.

HTH

I have heard this thing before about there being updates for the life of the unit (not that you would want updates after the unit has turned turtle..)

But how do you get the updates for the maqps.

All Garmin software updates (SPIII & Mapsource) updates are free EXCEPT updates to Mapsource Maps regardless of wether it is a Navigator or a straight deluxe.

So how do I get the latest version of the maps without having to pay £150 to garmin...

judge said:
If I tell you a MBW dealer recently went and snared themself a bargain at Costco would that help?

I am not a dealer and neither is notadrop. Its all for personal consumption, OK!!!

Re: Re: Confucious He Reigns

rcc54 said:
Just ordering one from Ocean Plymouth For £900
Rob

Forgive me for saying so, but you're mad!

GPS Warehouse will post you an SPIII Deluxe for under £809* with which you get:
  • a powerlead-cum-speaker
  • a car dashboard mount
none of which you get with the Navigator.

OK, the Navigator does come with
  • a BMW power lead
  • a handlebar mount
  • embedded BMW dealer locations (as of 2002)
  • a BMW badge
none of which can be worth £100.

You can buy a decent mount and a powerlead for about £75.

It's surely a no brainer?

Greg

* plus postage

I can see the sales staff at Ocean taking a real liking to you and your penchance for emptying your wallet at the merest sight of a MBW logo (which of course this doesn't come with!).

Fortunately for you MBW make a business out of this kind of blind loyalty and will ensure they keep you happy in parts, accessories and the very essential fashion apparel for as long as your finances can handle it.

Have fun :thumb

Well just to stir things up, in Australia;

An SPIII comes with;
- 64MB Garmin data card with City Navigator maps loaded
- Mapsource City Navigator Australia CD
- bracket, dashboard mount and base
- portable bag mount base
- combined speaker/power cable with cig lighter plug
- PC interface cable

AU$1790 (710 pounds?)

An BMW Motorrad Navigator comes with;
- 64MB Garmin data card with City Navigator maps loaded
- Mapsource City Navigator Australia CD
- bracket (requires additional mount)
- power cable with BMW/cig lighter plug
- PC interface cable
- USB data card reader/writer
- matt screen
- BMW on case and firmware startup screen
- BMW dealers loaded

AU$1720 (683 pounds?)

None of which helps you at all !
'Data is not information'

COSTCO SPIII = £704.95p [ comes with bean bag/adhesive mounts/ cig lighter-speaker for car. To adapt to a bike all you need is spend another £39. Just need RAM mount [£21.50] and cig adaptor power lead [£17.50].

If you think this is a plug for COSTCO - it is, I own it and I want YOUR money!

I thought that I had included a 'beanbag' in my list but I think that it dropped out when I posted.

Greg

Is there a member out there who has a Costco card willing to assist with the purchase of an SP111.

I live in Cardiff and would like to buy one at Costo prices.

I guess Reading would be the closest.

Don't be shy now.

Don't forget the fantastic Costco "returns" policy.

You fancy the latest GPS in 3 years time, you take back your SPIII - they give you a refund absolutely no questions asked!!!
(just make sure you keep the box)

No Brainer is an understatement!!:beer:

USA BMV DEALERS/GPS

Scene on a KLT site

:( BMW Navigator
BMW's K1200LT GPS Navigation System manufactured by Garmin. The BMW Navigator is basically a BMW-badged Garmin Street Pilot III, pre-programmed with name, address & phone number of every BMW Motorcycle Dealer in the US, with a custom mount (replaces the vanity light over the dash), bike power adapter, powered external GPS antenna, 128 MB data card, City Navigator 4.01 CD-ROM, USB Programmer, Combo Serial Cable w/ 110V adaptor, Automotive Mount, bean-bag portable dash mount, portable antenna, automotive power adaptor/external speaker, and Carrying Case. Distributed by BMW Dealers. $1300 (Does not include the interface cable to the BMW ComSystem).
BMW is coming out with Navigator mounts for most of the current motorcycles.
$1300 = £782
:confused:

I bought the SPIII over the Navigator coz I got a great deal with Staples, but having said that, the additional bits you get (bean bag etc. are great.

The power lead can be bought from BMW (very easy to install) cost about £35 (pricey I know, but worth it for the lack of hassle). The bracket costs about £40.

I landed up buying a BMW bracket off a friend who wanted to upgrade to the Touratech model, so now I have a complete SPIII which can be used in either the car or either of teh two cars (wife or mine).

If you buy the Navigator, you'll land up buying the cigerette lighter cable/speaker and bean bag mount for the car anyway (probably!!)

On balance, the Navigator has to be a silly option?!

Back
Top Bottom