Bike wont start - any ideas before take to dealer?

Mezza

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,
I started the bike this morning, no problems (fuel light had come on just before I stopped it last time out), set off and about a mile down the road the bike just died. Bike was running perfect before it died. It did'nt splutter like it had run out of fuel and I know the light had only been on for a couple of miles before I stopped last time out.
Anyway, thought it must be fuel so went and got a gallon and put it in - still won't start so had to push it home (phew :eek ).
I've tried it loads of times in case the fuel just needed pumping through, but still no luck.

Any ideas?
The bike turns over fine.
All the normal lights are on.
The alarm is disarmed ok.
Oil level ok.

I'm thinking it must be some kind of electrical prob (sensor etc), but I dunno:nenau . I'm just gonna have a look to see if the plugs are sparking, when I find the toolkit:blast . What should I check before I take it to the dealer?

ps - I'm not at all mechanically minded :eek:

Bike: 1150 GS, 2002 model, 17000 miles.

Thanks in advance.

A quick check on the sidestand cut out would be an idea....

good luck.............

Thanks Spout. I've had a look at it (externally) and it looks OK and the wire is secure etc. I've found a few posts regarding bypassing the ss switch but are you sure a faulty switch would cause the prob I have - the ignition comes on and the starter works, the bike just wont fire up.

One thing I just remembered (which might indicate something) is that the clock seems to have re-set when the problem occurred. The time was correct when I set off, but I noticed it was on 00:01 whilst I was first trying to diagnose problem at the side of the road. Would this indicate a more general electrical fault had occurred than just a side-stand switch?

Thanks again

Rich

The clock reset would seem to indicate low volts - does it reset everytime you crank the engine?

Thanks, no it doesn't reset the clock each time I crank the engine.
Also I just noticed that it doesn't make the whirring sound when I switch the ignition on - what (should) tell me? :confused:

is the whirring sound the fuel pump :nenau

The whirring is the fuel pump on mine. You could be on to something, any fuses blown?

I reckon it's low voltage - enough voltage to spin the starter, but the ECU's not alive enough to do its job.

Check the battery connections are clean and secure, give it a bit of a charge and it's likely to start.

If it's not the connections, it's probably time for a new battery.

The clock resets if the voltage gets too low - it sounds like there was a short in the system that was momentarily enough to reset the clock, and then a fuse probably blew for the faulty circuit.

If you can find a blown fuse, try replacing it and see if the bike runs. However, to be honest, you'll be better if it blows immediately because that sort of problem's a lot easier to diagnose!!

It's looking increasingly like a visit to the dealer though :(

Don't worry about the clock resetting, it's a red herring nothing to do with the non-starting. You can check fuse 3 and see if it's ok, if it is the clock has just zeroed because the starter has used a lot of current.

Before doing anything, lets clear a basic fault - have you lifted the fuel tank up for any reason ?? if yes, check the throttle body cable hasn't become unseated from the throttle body, usually happens on the right side only.

If you haven't touched the tank, move on to the next thing.

The fuel pump not priming is a clue.

With the ignition on, bike in gear, turn the rear wheel. As the engine turns does the fuel pump energise then stop ??? .

Thanks everyone.
I've checked the fuses and they all look OK. I'm just off to get another 10A one for #6 (fuel pump?) just in case. Gotta take my daughter to work now so I'll have a look at the other things when I get back.
I doubt its the battery cos it started fine and just died after I'd been riding it for a mile. I'll put it on charge anyway though.
Steptoe - I havent had the tank off thanks.

Steptoe - I've tried the 'bike in gear, ingition on' thing now and I couldn't hear the fuel pump energise - I could only turn the wheel about 6" cos it was in gear, on the centre stand, so I tried pushing it in gear also - still not energised.
What next ? :( :)

What next ? :( :)

Pull the spark plug cap off, and stick a spare plug (any spark plug will do) into the plug lead and see if it sparks as the engine turns over on the starter.

You can also use a "noide" on the injector feed to test if that is getting a signal , but i'm assuming you haven't got one of those, a tester using a bulb would also do the same thing on the injector, but don't worry if you haven't, we'll pass on that for now.

Just off the topof my head, hall sensor

Don't jump the gun, thats one of things we're testing for. That was one of the reasons for my question about putting it in gear and turning the rear wheel

Pull the spark plug cap off, and stick a spare plug (any spark plug will do) into the plug lead and see if it sparks as the engine turns over on the starter.

You can also use a "noide" on the injector feed to test if that is getting a signal , but i'm assuming you haven't got one of those, a tester using a bulb would also do the same thing on the injector, but don't worry if you haven't, we'll pass on that for now.

Ok, I've tried a spark plug and it sparks OK.
ps, at least now I know what that little plastic thing in the toolkit is for :)
'fraid I don't have a noide thingy.

What next?

There is a 4 pin connector under the plastic panel on the offside of the bike (beneath the tank).This connects the fuel pump and the fuel level float.
Disconnect it and check/clean the electrical connections as they can corrode.

Right I've checked the connector thing and it looks ok with wires secure.
What shall I check next ? :)

Hi is the bike running yet mate , mine wouldnt start a few weeks back and it was a small stone stuck in the pulley on the throttle body which gave the same effect as the throttle cable being unseated , just a thought also when my mates 1100 wouldnt start his oil temp bars were reading really high even with a cold engine and he removed the temp sensor and refitted it the number of bars went back to normal and it started although I dont know why this would be

Chris

z900 guy, thanks for asking but I'm afraid still no luck. Looks like its a trailer to the dealers :(

Back
Top Bottom