serial port issues

Spanish Bob

Hello there

Knowing that there are some IT bods amongst you I wonder if anyone can help mith my current learning opportunity.

I can get the USB port to work no probs and transfer data, but I cant with the serial, which I guess is a must if you want to download routes and waypoints.

I have never had any serial port probs before and I use it for my palm routinely.

I am going to be super pissed off if I can load the route I have done and I´m off on weds!!!!!!

Also how to you make sure that the apparatua ia recording the actual route you take?

cheers

bob

I too regularly use the serial port on my laptop for my PDA but I'm buggered if I can get it to work with my SPIII. I'm afraid that I revert to the youngster's PC in her bedroom onto which I have loaded Mapsource.

:(

Greg

Personally I use the USB with adaptor because my Dell laptop does not have a serial port.
BUT.......have you tried to plug everything in and then use the "AUTO DETECT" button on the transfer window?? This should..........should then find the SP III where ever it'd plugged in.

I also have a Dell laptop and it has both - I am struggling away with the serial port because I am under the impression, probably wrongly that you cant transfer routes via the USB.

Actually I tried last night vis USB and the GPS didnt seem to have any new routes in it. ie pressing the routes button and then list.

Spanish Bob said:
I am under the impression .... that you cant transfer routes via the USB.

You are correct as the USB connection only addresses the datacard. Routes are stored in the SPIII's memory.

Greg

PS It's probably only a coincidence, but my laptop is also a Dell. Maybe there is something in the system architecture that stops them seeing the SPIII via the serial port. Dunno!

I'm not sure if this will help - I use MS Active Synch to connect my palmtop to my laptop. When I want to communicate with my GPS V via the serial port I need to open :File/connection settings screen in Active Synch and deselect "Allow serial connection or infared connection to this COM port" - If I don't deselect this the GPS V can not be detected by the serial connection so no communication is possible. By deslecting the GPS V is detected. I would guess something similar applies for the SPIII.
Good luck
Gecko

GPS Serial port

Try de-activating the Palm software before trying to use the serial port on the GPS. Found it in one of the FAQs. Worked OK

Keith

Serial port

Use a USB to Serial converter. I'm using a Prolific USB-to-Serial Converter on a Dell and used it on a Toshiba laptop. Around £29.50.

Keith

Re: GPS Serial port

Keith Davies said:
Try de-activating the Palm software before trying to use the serial port on the GPS. Found it in one of the FAQs. Worked OK

Keith

Brilliant how can I do that? Where can I find the FAQ

Gecko said:
I'm not sure if this will help - I use MS Active Synch to connect my palmtop to my laptop. When I want to communicate with my GPS V via the serial port I need to open :File/connection settings screen in Active Synch and deselect "Allow serial connection or infared connection to this COM port" - If I don't deselect this the GPS V can not be detected by the serial connection so no communication is possible. By deslecting the GPS V is detected. I would guess something similar applies for the SPIII.
Good luck
Gecko

Gecko

the active synch software is it in a normal load of windows?

De-active Palm software

Logo in bottom right corner looks like red & blue circle with a diagonal line thru. When you right click it you get an option to stop.

To re-start go to start menu find icon as above and double click.

Keith

Keith

I think I love you!

Also my RAM mount just arrived, so its all systems go, yippee

bob
(ps dont worry Keith its a joke!)

Spanish Bob said:
Gecko

the active synch software is it in a normal load of windows?

No Bob - it's a separate bit of software which allows me to synchronize my Windows CE on the palmtop to the normal Windows on the laptop. You should have something similar if you link your PDA to your PC (I would assume).

Warning tread hijack!!!!!!

Dont worry its just for a moment....... When i turn on my navigator it shows a picture of what i think is supposed to be the data card with Mapsource on it.... But underneath it says "card not accesable" what am i doing wrong folks?
the Clown:confused:
P.S. can this bike BE any more fun to ride? Passed an R1 on the outside of an island on the way to work this morning,pissing myself laughing inside my helmet!!!

Gecko said:
No Bob - it's a separate bit of software which allows me to synchronize my Windows CE on the palmtop to the normal Windows on the laptop. You should have something similar if you link your PDA to your PC (I would assume).

No I use standard Palm OS Hot SYnch. But then I sync to Palm desktop.....?

Re: Warning tread hijack!!!!!!

theclowncrusty said:

P.S. can this bike BE any more fun to ride? Passed an R1 on the outside of an island on the way to work this morning,pissing myself laughing inside my helmet!!!

Hey funny man

b e careful this can affect visibility.....

Tell me about it......

Since getting the GS im finding my helmet a tight fit....No room inside for the insane grin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom