security

happy pilgrim

Reaction score
how is the best way to stop my yamaha wr250f being nicked?? as it has no ignition key? just on off button to switch on ignition?? can i buy an aftermarket key/switch etc. then, how and where to wire it??:confused:

i was in the same position not so long ago with my xr650r, best advice i can give is get a almax chain, squire ss65cs lock & rhino ground anchor from here - http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

also if u really want a hidden secret ignition switch check out ebay for about £10 as thats where i got mine from but never got round to wiring it into the bike.

hoping just to do it with ignition switch. only intend to ride off road, but need to stop now and again for food/petrol etc?? don't really want to carry chains etc.:thumb

hoping just to do it with ignition switch. only intend to ride off road, but need to stop now and again for food/petrol etc?? don't really want to carry chains etc.:thumb

Sorry, but you're likely to be pretty pissed off at some point then when it gets nicked.

Trail bikes are by far the most nicked in the UK...an ignition switch won't stop them at all....two blokes will come driving along with a stolen car, pick it up, sling it in the rear hatch and fek off with it.

Rob's right.the only way of doing it is a decent and secure lock and chain.

:(

Easy to spot bike thiefs there the ones with the nice tans .

where some museli munching tree hugging PC cock of a social worker has been sending them off to swim with fucking dolphins while our insurance goes through the roof and bikes we have cared for and cherished get thrashed destroyed and burnt :spitfire :spitfire

and the fact that the law are unable the chase the little darlings if they have no helmets on ...............aaaaaarrrrgghh:spitfire :spitfire :spitfire :mcgun :mcgun :mcgun

sorry little bit:topic

Just keep your eyes peeled mate theres no ignition on my KTM but its still with me (at the moment)

blue uk has one of those jetski switch things,when you go in for gas ect at least it will stop some fecker jumping on it and pissing off!

loz

i agree that chains, disc locks etc are the way to go? but can't really see a way of carrying that lot whilst out green laneing?
but when i stop in some outback village for a drink and a mars bar? would feel slightly happier if i could just turn key in ignition??

i agree that chains, disc locks etc are the way to go? but can't really see a way of carrying that lot whilst out green laneing?
but when i stop in some outback village for a drink and a mars bar? would feel slightly happier if i could just turn key in ignition??

Yes, you can buy an ignition switch, ad pages in TBM have a company that sell lighting kits, I think they do them.
It may make you feel slightly happier, but I can assure you that all other comments are correct, it will not stop it getting nicked for a second!
If you go out with a mate, take it in turns to go in the shop, if you don't, keep your eye on the bike at all times.
HTH
Mark

I use an Almax and Squire attached to something very solid where possible but if you don't fancy lugging a huge chain around take a Xena disk lock with alarm built in - the noise it makes may just alert you in time, however a bit of tape or a thumb over the alarm grill all but silences it :(

I heard the other day of a 996 that was taken, 4 guys - 2 lengths of scaffold pipe and it was in a van in under 30 seconds so what chance your trail bike?

There are some fairly light weight bicycle locks that coil up on themselves.....I used one for several years as a helmet lock on my Adv..it'd just stay there coiled up round a frame bar (footpeg hangers in my case) until I need to use it.
They won't survive anything serious, but will at least stop a spotty opportunist 14 year old pushing it away and field riding it until it seizes while you're in the shop :rolleyes: :blast

To make it even easier on yourself (because you don't seem to want to put any effort into stopping it from being nicked) you can even get combination ones......so no keys to carry.

Please do secure it though, 'cos i's the pratts that don't who actually add to the problem by not securing their bikes, keeping bike thieves in business and raising the insurance for the rest of us.
:mad:

not so much a case of being easier? just more practical. piss wet through, covered in mud, just come up some god awful trail in mid winter. need a drink/stop for fuel. ignition switch key would be good!!
unlikely to chain up bike on petrol station forecourt:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom