SP2610 review

BurnieM

http://gpsinformation.net/sp26xx/sp2610rev.html

sp2610big2.jpg

Comprehensive review. Thanks for posting it.

No batteries in the 2610, so you can only run it off vehicle power. That's a bit of a surprise.

Mike

It is more to compete with Navmans iCN630 for car navigation.
The Navman is not much use to us as it is not waterproof (the new Garmin is).

Off route re-calculation and screen redraw is much faster on the SP2610 (and the Navman) than the SPIII

Not really for us is it

Sounds like the unit is more for a car, remote control, touch screen (in gloves !!)

SP III will come down in price (Costco £705.00 for example) because of it.

I like the compact flash etc, but can't see how it will be of benefit on a bike.

MHO of course (o yea and it seems bigger, so you definately will not be able to see the speedo etc.

Nick

If you read the profile you would have seen that it is smaller than an sp3 but utilises the same mounts. Despite the q & a section i still had to email the guy with a couple of questions!

Supposed to be available in the US on 17 September.

Obviously a few around for reviews; Joe and Jack and Cycoactive both have non-brochure pics

Cost?

GPS Warehouse are taking advance orders at £1000 mark.

Yet again UK gets to pay more for a product.

Why is the question?

http://froogle.google.com shows me that I can buy it for just US$769.99 that's £487 in real money. Even allowing for the fact that the US version has a smaller CF card, a US basemap and you would have to buy the European navigator software & unlock code that is still *MUCH* cheaper.

Ripoff Britain.

Mike

Actually, I take back what I said as you have to pay a ridiculous £360 for the Europe City Navigator, although you would then have a 2610 enabled for both USA and Europe for the same price as the UK sourced version which would only cover Europe.

That Costco SPIII deluxe at £705 is looking tempting.

Mike

Well we cannot have our cake and eat it to.

I want a GPS for use in my Car, for Hiking, for OFFROAD driving, and for MARINE use. Will SP-2610 do the job for me? No! We do not recommend the SP-2610 for any of your proposed applications EXCEPT for Car Navigation ON ROADS which SP-2610 is optimized for and where its performance is quite good. For Offroad driving, the unit provides no guidance directions and it only operates as an electronic map showing your position on the map. The same is true for Hiking and for Marine use. For Hiking, the story is even worse since the 2610 has no internal battery. In general there is no GPS which is optimized for all your proposed applications, but the Garmin GPS-V is about the best compromise I know of in a stand alone GPS unit.

Looks like I keep the old GPS III for the track back feature and off road stuff. Now I wonder if you can use the new one to calculate a route and download it to the old ones. I used the trackback feature a lot in the Rocky mountains when exploring mountain passes. Just go where you like and still find your way home.

I got my hands on one today at a store in the USA. Unfortunately it didn't have its power supply so I wasn't able to try out the touch screen with a pair of motorbike gloves on - the acid test of whether this thing will be any good for us GSers. I'll see if I can track one down this week and give it a poke. Nice compact unit though.

Mike

I had a go with the 2610 at the StuffLive show at Olympia on Friday.

The screen-drawing speed is massively faster than on the SPIII and the touch-sensitivity works fine - if you have delicate pinkies or a pointer tool (forget it with gloves on!).

I was told the unit offers full functionality using the 4 chuncky buttons (which you could use with gloves) but as none of them is a cursor, I'm not sure how that could be.

:confused:

Greg

Back
Top Bottom