They couldn't beat the HP2 with the whole armada!

Tsiklonaut

GS pervert
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Yep, the KTM philosophy in competition: strenght in numbers! See the Dakar rallye for example.

But looks like it didn't work for Erzberg Kings Class 2-cyl race that took place yesterday.

Erzberg is obviously a home-game for KTM factory on it's own soil, so they put huge amount of effort to win it, as previous years shown it, to get lot of advertising etc., and for a good reason: while having the advantage to compete basically in their own backyard. This year they even increased their armada with adding even more of the World's top names on 2-cylinder bikes: Marc Coma, Werner Müller along with remaining title-holder David Knight, Cyril Despres, Giovanni Sala etc.

All of them with massive offroad experiences and stunning achievements in rallye or offroad world, a combination which the 2 cylinder high-speed Kings Class exacly is about.

While BMW had only 1 serious rider for the Erzberg high-speed track, who haven't got anything that serious to show from his bacground as those superstar names mentioned before: young and shy, the flying-finn Simo Kirssi.

The rest of BMW riders: Chris Pfeiffer - a stunt rider, with no real rallye or offroad achivements and 3 americans: Micky Dymond, borthers Greg & Gary Trachy who all three are more aknowleded in supermoto rather than on bikes with knobbytyres.

Results:
1. Simo Kirssi, Finland, BMW, 9:02.93
2. David Knight, Britain, KTM, 9:06.80
3. Werner Müller, Austria, KTM, 9:14.45
4. Giovanni Sala, Italy, KTM, 9:21.27
5. Marc Coma, Spain, KTM , 9:29.50

See the superstars armada following him? :augie

Well done Simo!!! :clap :clap :clap

More (with maybe just a liittle bit KTM advertise-biased, I guess it's from the KTM press if the news coming so quicky) here.

Thanks for the update Tsik :thumb2 .

Without doubt, Simo & the HP2 make a great combination so well done to both of them :clap

Yep, the KTM philosophy in competition: strenght in numbers! See the Dakar rallye for example.

But looks like it didn't work for Erzberg Kings Class 2-cyl race that took place yesterday.

Erzberg is obviously a home-game for KTM factory on it's own soil, so they put huge amount of effort to win it, as previous years shown it, to get lot of advertising etc., and for a good reason: while having the advantage to compete basically in their own backyard. This year they even increased their armada with adding even more of the World's top names on 2-cylinder bikes: Marc Coma, Werner Müller along with remaining title-holder David Knight, Cyril Despres, Giovanni Sala etc.

All of them with massive offroad experiences and stunning achievements in rallye or offroad world, a combination which the 2 cylinder high-speed Kings Class exacly is about.

While BMW had only 1 serious rider for the Erzberg high-speed track, who haven't got anything that serious to show from his bacground as those superstar names mentioned before: young and shy, the flying-finn Simo Kirssi.

The rest of BMW riders: Chris Pfeiffer - a stunt rider, with no real rallye or offroad achivements and 3 americans: Micky Dymond, borthers Greg & Gary Trachy who all three are more aknowleded in supermoto rather than on bikes with knobbytyres.

Results:
1. Simo Kirssi, Finland, BMW, 9:02.93
2. David Knight, Britain, KTM, 9:06.80
3. Werner Müller, Austria, KTM, 9:14.45
4. Giovanni Sala, Italy, KTM, 9:21.27
5. Marc Coma, Spain, KTM , 9:29.50

See the superstars armada following him? :augie

Well done Simo!!! :clap :clap :clap

More (with maybe just a liittle bit KTM advertise-biased, I guess it's from the KTM press if the news coming so quicky) here.

it does say that the author is "KTM".... problem is that BMW send their press release days after the event, so it's not news anymore....

On my site there's a link to 8 webcams at the Erzberg. I saw the HP2 running yesterday on it.... (you can set the refresh rate to 1 second)

it does say that the author is "KTM".... problem is that BMW send their press release days after the event, so it's not news anymore....

On my site there's a link to 8 webcams at the Erzberg. I saw the HP2 running yesterday on it.... (you can set the refresh rate to 1 second)

Thanks for the info Mike,

your news page is worh a lot for me in any ways! Keep visiting it often :thumb2

ErzbergRodeo 2007 KingsClass

BMW win twin-cylinder race at Erzberg XIII

BMW Motorrad Motorsport factory rider Simo Kirssi claimed the twin-cylinder class victory at the Erzbergrodeo event staged in Eisenerz, Austria, where the Finn posted the fasted time of this year´s event on his second run up the ´Iron Mountain´. Competing for the BMW Motorrad Motorsport team along with US racers, and Erzberg first timers, Micky Dymond, Gary Trachy and Greg Tracy and experienced Erzberg racer Chris Pfeiffer from Germany, Simo saved his best for the second of his two runs and posted a time four second faster than that of his closest competitor, defending twin-cylinder class champion David Knight.

meldung003690pic1_1.jpg

Simo Kirssi: King of Erzberg 2007

meldung003690pic1_2.jpg

Greg Tracy: Flying to the summit

With the 13.5 kilometre course not quite as fast and flowing as in previous years, a result of the organising team adding several chicanes in order to make the high-speed race a little safer, Simo´s first run didn´t go exactly as planned. Mysteriously Simo was unable to change gear at high rpm soon after leaving the start ramp and although the problem sorted itself out soon after he then proceeded to ride a little ´too hard´. Running too deep into a number of corners, Simo struggled to find his rhythm and as a result finished eight seconds behind David Knight, yet still in second place, at
the end his first run.
For his second run Simo opted to use a different engine setup and chose to compete with the motor he has previously used for cross-country racing. Giving the Finn a little more bottom-end power, as well as a closer ratio gearbox, Simo was able to get better traction on the dry, dusty and slippery course and set about posting the fastest time of the event.
Well aware that he could ill afford any mistakes on his final run Simo rode much more consistently than he had on his first assault on the mountain and making no mistakes reached the top of the mountain in a time of 9:02.93. In doing so he claimed victory in the Erzberg twin-cylinder class, much to his and the BMW Motorrad Motorsport team´s delight.

Of the remaining members of the BMW Motorrad Motorsport team it was former AMA motocross and supermoto champion Micky Dymond that performed best finishing in a highly creditable sixth position. Having never competed at Erzberg before Micky, like the majority of riders, posted his best time on his second run up the mountain. Finishing
just over one second behind ´06 Dakar Rally winner Marc Coma from Spain who placed fifth, Micky performed extremely well despite being an Erzberg ´first timer´. Recording a time of 9:31.71 Dymond got to spend valuable time aboard BMW´s HP2 ahead of the Pike´s Peak race, which will be held in Colorado, USA in July.
Behind Dymond stunt riding world champion Chris Pfeiffer claimed seventh, eight seconds behind his US teammate. With Greg Tracy placing eighth, Gary Trachy finished in 15th. Running into troubles on his first timed run Gary´s only recorded time was his second run, which would have been good enough to place him in ninth. Disappointingly, the fact that Gary failed to finish his first run resulted in the organisers adding 30 seconds to his time.

Simo Kirssi:

"It´s great to have won the twin-cylinder class again. The course rode very different to last year, because some changes had been made and because the weather was different. The track was a little slower this year because of the areas where they´d made the course a bit safer. The first run didn´t go so well for me. I had a problem shifting gears soon after the start, and then I was riding a little bit too stiff and made some stupid mistakes like running too deep into some of the corners. I always find the first run difficult.
My second run was really good though. I was using a different bike, which had a slightly different engine. I used the bike I use when I race the HP2 in cross-country races - it doesn´t have quite as much top-end power but it has really strong and smooth bottom-end power. It worked really well for me. I was more consistent and didn´t really make any mistakes. I guess you could say I rode with my head a little
more than on the first run."

Mickey Dymond:

"It was definitely a great experience. I wish I could go back and do a couple more runs up the mountain now because I learned a lot in my two runs. It´s
hard turning up at Erzberg for the first time and being timed up the mountain straight away. But I had a great time.
The first section of the track was a little more like enduro than I´m used to with some narrow sections, rocks and even some water on the course. It seems a pretty cool event though.
The whole course was really slippery and I was looking for traction, but there wasn´t any. For me the most important thing was just getting more time on the BMW HP2. I´ve not had a whole lot of time on it and it is different to what I had been used to racing. It´s a really valuable test for me on the bike ahead of this year´s Pike´s Peak race."

KingsClass

1. Simo Kirssi 09:02,93, BMW Motorrad Motorsport
2. David Knight 09:06,8, KTM
3. Werner Müller 09:14,45 KTM
4. Giovanni Sala 09:21,27, KTM
5. Marc Coma 09:29,5, KTM
6. Mickey Dymond 09:31,71, BMW Motorrad Motorsport
7. Chris Pfeiffer 09:39,05, BMW Motorrad Motorsport
8. Greg Tracy 09:42,09, BMW Motorrad Motorsport
9. Klaus Martinjak 09:49,96, Aprilia
10. Peter Bachler 09:57,72, Aprilia
15. Gery Tracy 10:19,27, BMW Motorrad Motorsport

These HP2's really are a superb bit of kit. From the moment I ot on one the difference tot he standard R1200GS is amazing and even thosde are very nippy.

Excellent write up and pics.....:thumb2

AndyT

Back
Top Bottom