Route suggestion please?

Deleted account W

Looking for a nice route from John O Groats to Glen Clova. We'll have had enough of "A" roads from the trip up from LE the day before so something quiet and scenic would be great. We've got all day to do it as well so not bothered if it wanders about a bit :)

The A9 south to Inverness is probably the most direct route from JoG and you pretty much stick to the coast on the way down. From Inverness take the A96 (Aberdeen road) to Nairn and then head south on the A939 through Grandtown on Spey, Tomintoul and over by the Lecht Ski Centre. Head down on this road over Cockbridge and pick up the A93 turning east to Ballater. From Ballater head over the B976 and head for Strachan before turning south over the Cairn O' Mount to Fettercairn and Edzell. From Edzell head over the unclassified backroads past Kirkton of Menmuir, Fern, Burnside and head for Dykehead. That's you then on the road up to Glen Clova.

The road south from Ballater is the road for the Main Run on Saturday but in the opposite direction so it'll be a totally different run :thumb2 You could also come south on the A93 via Braemar and Glenshee but that's the road and directions south for the run on Sauturday.

Ronno

P.S. The road south from Nairn to Glen Clova is a belter :bounce1

Cheers Ronno. Hows does this look? :thumb2

ScreenShot010-2.jpg

Just my tuppence worth, but instead of just hauling down the A9 all the way to Inverness from JOG, try turning right off of the A9 on the Tain side of the Dornoch bridge onto the A836, head through Edderton, then take the B9176 over the Struie. It's a 14 mile up & downhill scenic bend fest, with some nice photo opportunity spots on the way (watch out for a cattle grid that is almost mid bend about hal-way along the diversion).

Brings you out at Alness onto the A9 and then just 15miles to Inverness.

Try it and tell me you didn't like it

TTFN,

SteveT

:cool:

Just my tuppence worth, but instead of just hauling down the A9 all the way to Inverness from JOG, try turning right off of the A9 on the Tain side of the Dornoch bridge onto the A836, head through Edderton, then take the B9176 over the Struie. It's a 14 mile up & downhill scenic bend fest, with some nice photo opportunity spots on the way (watch out for a cattle grid that is almost mid bend about hal-way along the diversion).

Brings you out at Alness onto the A9 and then just 15miles to Inverness.

Try it and tell me you didn't like it

TTFN,

SteveT

:cool:

Think I've got it :)

Cheers Steve :thumb2

Attachments

• ScreenShot011.jpg
    ScreenShot011.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 134
If you don't mind a bit of a wander, then turn off the A9 just before the Dornoch bridge, and take the road to Bonar Bridge, through Ardgay and then pick up Steves B9176. The views across towards Dornoch are stunning.

Iain

If you don't mind a bit of a wander, then turn off the A9 just before the Dornoch bridge, and take the road to Bonar Bridge, through Ardgay and then pick up Steves B9176. The views across towards Dornoch are stunning.

Iain

Think we'll skip the ferry, but thanks for the suggestion CC :thumb2

Got that Iain :)

Attachments

• ScreenShot012.jpg
    ScreenShot012.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 206
If you wouldn't mind, would you post the route file for that run on here please Whatton. I would like to use it on the Sunday when I'm heading up towards Inverness. Thanks. :thumb2

If you wouldn't mind, would you post the route file for that run on here please Whatton. I would like to use it on the Sunday when I'm heading up towards Inverness. Thanks. :thumb2

I've reversed it for you Aiden :thumb2

Attachments

• Glen Clova to JOG.gdb
    63.4 KB · Views: 28
A good route south from John o' groats but would mean heading back west a wee bit to Melvich from there heading south down a fantastic road "single track" to Kildonan then turning right on to a road that’s never ever used takes you out on the A9 just north of Brora. All this if you want something a bit different takes you through the heart of the Highlands :nenau

Seconded ScottishBMWbiker - that is a fantastic road. Better still I 'll be doing it on Saturday on my way up to Orkney and Shetland for a week. Hurrah!

Couple of Wee Diversions

Hi Whatton,
I've attached a Garmin file with a couple of options between JoG and Inverness.
The small one up at Brora should:rob take you to a ford over the River Brora. I haven't been there for quite a few years but it's a fairly major affair:eek: - depending on how high the river is!!
The other route is a superb road from Beauly up to Cannich and back down to Drumnadrochit.
I't all depends how much time you have??. There are also a few dead-end roads from Cannich to explore - including up Glen Affric? ( camera at ready!) - or about 2 miles west of Cannich there's a good pub at Tomich (Tomich Hotel) and you can carry on up from this on a forestry track to a waterfall if you have time(Plodda Falls) - let me know if you want more route detail on this:thumb2

Cheers.....................Grizzly:beer: :beer:

Attachments

• Brora and Affric.gdb
    19 KB · Views: 34
Thanks all, I've plotted all your suggestions so far and will use them depending on time and how well we feel after the previous days excessive mileage :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom