Best waterproof clothing-any suggestions ??

Roger Chatterton

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm just in the process of moving from an RS monoshock, to a GSAdv 1150, so guess when it starts tp pour, I'm going to need some waterproofs-particularly trousers; never been quite so necessary on a fully-faired RS !!

So, this being the font of all wisdom, and, piss-takes aside, I'll welcome some advice from you GS-ers. What would people recommend- not going off-road, so really touring and pleasure type riding.

Many thanks -and I guess some smart asses will add the inevitable comments-look forward to them !!!:judge

All depends on where / when you think you'll travel. What's good for Morocco in August isn't ideal for Norway in January for example.

Me, I've had the BM Savanna 1 and 2 suits with the goretex liners for a few years. TT recommended those before the Santiago (IIRC) came out.

UK..

Well I have for the past five years been in a Belstaff Explorer Jacket with leather belstaff jeans and a pair of HG over trousers I carry in the jackets rear pouch. A great combo for most things except offroading.

The belstaff jacket has been great.. sadly they are no longer doing the explorer. Its kept me dry in some severe weather. I would buy another if i could (i did actually but itwas xxl not xxxl and is now in the foresale section).

When its hot the jacket has good venting and has a fleece for colder weather. The trousers combo works a treat too.

However I have to say that BMW suits do look a bit corporate, but then with the liners in, you stay dry.. but mind the pockets are NOT waterproof.

Other options are the Aerostich stuits, these get a good reviews and some avid supporters on here who use them.

HG Toureg gear was apparently good but they stopped doing it, not sure if they started again now.

And of course, if you have the pennies, then there are some cracking Rukka gear which is great. Just a little pricey..

Have a look at that lot and see.

If your planning trips to Morroco etc then you need to look at ventings, protection etc..

The search option is great.. just make sure you have a cup of tea and time to read.. lol. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies so far -will follow up, particularly Aerostitch -not heard of them before . Re when & where I'll be riding -good point -certainly not Morroco, just UK, Europe (Spain) , Spring Summer, Autumn- not too much in the winter ...used to be an all-year round rider, but not now !!

HG master goretex - best fit / comfort, totally waterproof, good cuff setup which stops water seeping up your arms. Good for sub zero with the liner in and a good fleece / base layer and good for hot summers with the lining out and a t shirt. Too much money but well worth it

For the cheapo option get a set of Army issue goretex - about £50 for trousers and jacket from various army surplus websites. You'll look slightly dubious in full camo gear but you'll be dry.

Streetguard 2

You might also want to consider the Streetguard kit from BMW - uses a waterproof outer so it doesn't absorb lots of water, it's completely dry, has under arm vents to help keep cool that don't let in water... and, possibly most importantly :augie , isn't covered in BMW logos :thumb

It is pricey, but the HG isn't far behind if you want a waterproof outer and the warranty is superb!

Mav

Back
Top Bottom