bmw navigator/streetpilot 3 accuracy

gavin

Having just used the navigator for the first time, i am a bit concerned about its accuracy. I've not downloaded the city navigator map CD, but went out using the base map within the unit, the pointer follows the road up to half a mile to the side. At one stage while riding along a coast road, the pointer (me & bike) was actually in the sea! Any ideas how to correct it?

gavin said:
Having just used the navigator for the first time, i am a bit concerned about its accuracy. I've not downloaded the city navigator map CD, but went out using the base map within the unit, the pointer follows the road up to half a mile to the side. At one stage while riding along a coast road, the pointer (me & bike) was actually in the sea! Any ideas how to correct it?
Yep install the City Navigator detailed maps and use them. Garmin moved the world when it created its Atlantic Base Map and didn't bother to let the world know. :rolleyes:

It's a known problem to which AFAIK there is no cure. My baby GPSIII warns me to use the base map only as a general guide, no such warning on my SPIII :(

If I could be permitted to use that well known BMW Dealer's favourite line "they all do that Sir" :D

Gavin,

Do a search, or read thru the GPS forum. Someone had this problem a short while ago and the answer was an option that gets the arrow to "snap to road" or something like that.

In fact, forgetthat, have a read of this thread

HTH

Jon

Snap to road, lock on road all great but doesn't actually cure the inherent inaccuracy of the base map. As yer man has an SPIII/BMW NAV his real solution is to make use of all that lovely map storage and download the detailed maps.

Thanks guys, i'll have to download the "city navigator CD" when it arrives, unfortunately it wasn't in the box when i received the navigator.

Doesn't the data card come preloaded with City Navigator ?

Did you receive the data card ?

Yes, the data card (128mb) was in the box, but no city navigator CD. The data card was not pre-programmed.

Back
Top Bottom