I just spent the day riding Ural Outfits!

Warthog

Reaction score
Reliving bike trips whilst sat at my desk....
Very wierd to ride for so many years, sit in a saddle with all the familiar controls infront of you and then have to forget everything you know.

Riding a sidecar outfit is very wierd, but very good fun, and pretty addictive: especially when you learn how to ride the bike balancing the side car at 30 degrees off the ground!

Won't be getting rid of the GS, but seriously tempted as a second alternative!

Well done mate :thumb2

Thanks for the pic you emailed me...made oi larf that did.

So......when are you going to upgrade to OWNING a Ural ??? ;) ;)

Beware of LH drive sidecars.
UK law is that on a UK registered bike after (approx) late 70s the sidecar must le attached to the LH side of the bike. Most, but not all, Continental outfits have the outfit attached to RH side.
I would love to try taking a Ural along some Green Lanes just to see what a sidecar is like off road, any offers of a loan?:augie

Hope you find a nice one

Anyone fancying off roading a Ural outfit should give Mick at MPC a shout.

He`s organised several Ural Offroad Days at Sibbertoft near Lutterworth.

I went to one the day before New Year`s Day...9 Ural combos and a total hoot.

There`s one in July.

You can attend on your own combo or pay and use one of Mick`s.

Instruction is provided.

One more is infected by the sidecarvirus - jiiiiii-ha!

I tried one 2002 Ural before I decided to buy my BMW-mix.
The Ural seemed OK; most of the things that are not OK from the factory was fixed, but I didn't manage to kickstart it.
I guess lazy ladies with a heavy bum need a botton to push? :)

The Ural had a reverse gear, and I do miss that sometimes.

And a question for the experts here:
-The frame in BMW R50 1957 are made for sidecar on the right hand, like we do over here (Norway), but did BMW make frames for putting the sidecar on the left hand too?
-Do you get in trouble if you (as a native, not tourist) are riding the Side-Bike Zeus in GB? It's new... I guess they does not make Zeus for GB (or India or Australia or the rest of the lefthand-countries).

Liv.

Well?
-Could you buy a Side-Bike Zeus and ride it legal in GB when you are living in GB? I guess it is not made with the tub on the left... :confused:
:) Liv.

Attachments

• Side-Bike Zeus før den ble bygget om.jpg
    Side-Bike Zeus før den ble bygget om.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 211
Well?
-Could you buy a Side-Bike Zeus and ride it legal in GB when you are living in GB? I guess it is not made with the tub on the left... :confused:

Ok Liv,
I think the answer to your question is Bikes registeredin the UK on or after 1stAugust 1981 can only fit sidecars to the LH side of the bike. I therefore assume that bikes registered before this can legally fit sidecars to the RH side.
I know some people do ride outfits with a RH chair with a newish registration but they are illegal an d would be a major problem if stopped by the Police or if the vehicle was involved in an accident.
I hope this answers your question.:thumb2

Ok Liv,
I think the answer to your question is Bikes registeredin the UK on or after 1stAugust 1981 can only fit sidecars to the LH side of the bike. I therefore assume that bikes registered before this can legally fit sidecars to the RH side.
I know some people do ride outfits with a RH chair with a newish registration but they are illegal an d would be a major problem if stopped by the Police or if the vehicle was involved in an accident.
I hope this answers your question.:thumb2

Thank you!

So I guess you are not going to buy the red&fast thingie on my picture, then?
I know it is fast; I was a passenger in it in February, after it was rebuild to Diesel Turbo. The owner was trying to scare me, but I must be too stupid to be scared... I loved the ride! It was FUN! :bounce1

Back
Top Bottom