Looking for ownership experiences of Honda Africa Twin

Jeremy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Considering an Africa Twin as a commuter come run around that can sit outside my office and I don't mind if the scooter pricks wedge their blow dryers into the space between me and the next bloke. Are they comfortable, reliable, good in town?

Any advice appreciated.
Jeremy

Are they comfortable, reliable, good in town?

I had a AT (1991) before i got my Adventure and it was a great bike, Honda Build quality is fantastic, The parts for them are cheap (David Silver Spares) http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/. The AT is a great, Fun, Reliable bike. I often wish i had kept mine..

Before

163416044-L.jpg

After

163415845-L.jpg

next door but one's got one. it's in bits with mullered main bearings.

very nice to ride when it was going, but piss poor brakes after a GS (oilhead).

Really liked mine but i traded it for the GSA:thumb

Attachments

• at.jpg
    at.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 845
Africa Twin

Considering an Africa Twin as a commuter come run around that can sit outside my office and I don't mind if the scooter pricks wedge their blow dryers into the space between me and the next bloke. Are they comfortable, reliable, good in town?

Any advice appreciated.
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy

I'm thinking about selling mine - 99 - 6.5k - heated grips,scottoiler,center stand and top box - in mint condition.

Attachments

• P1060029.JPG
    P1060029.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 887
Go for it. I had three: 1 x 650 Euro import (best looking), 2 x 750's (RD04 and RD07) The last I had from new and went round the clock with it, as I was doing a lot of commuting from Paris to London for a couple of years.

They are fantastic...no problems really.

Look at wheel rims, the gold versions can rot.

Check the front drive sprocket if you can, the shaft can wear. That's a big job, split engine, new shaft etc. Some people spot weld the front sproket on if they don't want to go to the expense of a repair.

Loved all mine...the last one was written of by some twat ramming into me from behind at the lights....as they do. :spitfire

Good luck

I did the same as Forry.

had a black AT, sold it and moved up to a GSA.
I used mine for commuting, the odd weekend away and up and down the length of the country a couple of times too. Excellent bike, seat is hard as a plank. (worse than a GS) - mine did rather corrode........

I sold mine to Maverick via this board.

I had one for a couple of months earlier this year and used it to comute very day. It was a good bike and never missed a beat but after a GSA, every time i rode it i ended up thinking "I wish I had another BM". It was much lighter than the BM, more nimble and easier to filter on and pretty good on juice. On the downside the engine casings flake, the clutches can get rattly and the brakes are as previousley stated, pants after an oilhead. The forks on the RD07's are a bit soft for enthusiastic riding too. I would consider another as a second bike/plaything but I'd want to try an RD03 or 04 as they're supposed to be a more puposefull tool with better build quality :nenau . Just my twopennerth worth :)

Buy one

had my 98 from new 5grand,30k nothing at all went wrong:thumb2 , unlike my 10.5 grand gs1200:nenau ,better than bmw build quality,i just wanted more power:mcgun .

Wished i kept it now though:tears

Excellant bike, regret the day that I sold mine:(

Bomb proof engine and normal Honda build quality. The only down side was that two up the engine tended to wheez a little.

Dump the std can and fit a Remus makes a whole load of differance too. :thumb2

Go for it..

I have a 95 Africa Twin as my winter hack (salt and shiny bikes don't go together, so the honda is oiled up and generally neglected to save my more expensive m/cs) I have only owned it for 8 months but I am well impressed with it.
Bit underpowered (I think it would struggle with 2 up touring) and the I would change the standard seat for long distance otherwise a really nice honda.
I can see them becoming classics so depreciation shouldn't be an issue if you by wisely.

Jeremy - I have always loved these bikes and all that I know who have owned them say they are fantastic. My colleague had this one whilst posted to Venezuela and he says it was superb apart frm the seat which he changed to what looks like a Corbin. The standard seat I imagine will be fine for commuting and good when you take it on the lanes;)

AndyT

Attachments

• Africa Twin (2).JPG
    Africa Twin (2).JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 626
There was one in our local paper same year and mileage, described as mint, up for £2,000.

I had an early one. Unbreakable engine (mainly!) but later models can have fuel pump issues. A bit top-heavy, so they feel heavier than they really are. Strong and ultra reliable though.

PG

Top bike, only two things I would say change the standard screen to a bigger one, makes a huge difference and watch what tyres you fit, runs great on Trail Wings handled like a nail on Anakkes, seems to like older style tyres.

Attachments

• at.JPG
    at.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 141

Back
Top Bottom