R1100GS Clutch cables

Iain Hogg

OK, so what am I doing wrong? Broke my clutch cable this morning 2 miles from home but heading in the wrong direction:(

So what? I hear you say, well I only fitted it after breaking the last one at Llangollen!

Is the free play (10mm from memory) at the lever end that critical?

Should it be lubricated? Probably not relevant as in both cases the nipple at the lever has come off.

Iain
practicing clutchless changes in Sussex.

Iain.

The free play at the lever should be 7mm. The position of the knurled adjuster should be 12mm.

If I remember correctly the original spec called for 5 and 10, this caused premature wear.

Sorry I can't be more helpful with respect to the actual cause of the failure but slapping a bit of grease on the nipple ain't going to do any harm. If the cable prior to breaking operates ok then could be you're just unlucky and bought a faulty replacement.

If I was you I'd be tempted to run a second [unconnected] cable in parallel with the cable actually in use. That would make a roadside repair more practical.

Russ.

Attachments

• dscf0035x.jpg
    dscf0035x.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 464
Thanks Russ, I'll install my new one when it arrives and take care to get the measurements correct.

Meanwhile, running with the temporary fix cable that was installed at Llangollen and I had kept for just such an occasion - only hoped it might have been a bit further in the future!

Iain

Make sure the barrel that the cable locates into at the lever end is in good condition and well lubed. Also chack the plastic pivot bush isn't too worn. If either of these are amis the cable gets flexed and jerked each time you pull the clutch in. This causes the cable to break near the top. Also there should be a felt ring in the adjuster to keep the weather out of the cable.
All three of these parts come to £2-3 so you might as well be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom