Did an 1150 GS test ride on the weekend and...

_pi_

it was sweet. nice power. bit funny feeling at first but be solid and controlled feeling. went for 2hr ride round kent. but...

when i got back on my F650 Dakar for the ride home it felt a lot more agile and handier in traffic than the 1150. Easier to be a filtering nutter on the Dakar.

cant decide if i should switch...

thinking of keeping the Dakar till the 1200 GS comes out...

what do people think? Anyone done the switch?

I had a go on a friend's F650GS. I think it's a much better bike than my 1100 for town use and offroading. But my 1100 wins hands down for two-up touring and long distance riding.

I think you'd be smart to not buy an 1150 till the new 1200 comes out. Either you're going to want to go for the much lighter, more powerful 1200, or you'll get a killer deal on a used 1150 as their value will plummet.

good call. with talk of march delivery on the 1200GS i think ill wait.

Bollox

You've worked it out as well.

Looks like we've all got the same idea! I ride a Dakar and love it through the traffic, as I commute each day on it I have been put off of a 1150 because of its abilities in town (they are after all not designed to live in the city).

After the Morocco trip this year its clear that while you can do that sort of thing on a 650 its really hard work. It seems the KTM isn't going to hack it over distance like a GS, So if the stories of the 1200 are true then that seems to be way to go.

Now get in the queue behine me!

_pi_ said:

thinking of keeping the Dakar till the 1200 GS comes out...

what do people think? Anyone done the switch?

I'm waiting for the 1200 before trading in the Dakar. If you buy the 1150GS now, you'll only wish you had waited.

or you'll get a killer deal on a used 1150 as their value will plummet
What, like the GS1100 did when the 1150 came out?

I live in Cardiff most of the time with a few weekends spent in Abergavenny.

The 1150GS stays in the garage in Aber as it is not suited to the narrow streets of Cardiff. I walk to most places that I need to visit.

However, when I had a service done at Rydales they loaned me a 650CS - this was excellent in town. The combination of lightweight, narrowness and low gearing made it ideal.

At 5 grand for a new one they can get lost. I'll keep the 1150 for "best" and wear out shoe leather/rubber whilst in the city.

wessie said:
At 5 grand for a new one they can get lost. I'll keep the 1150 for "best" and wear out shoe leather/rubber whilst in the city. [/B]

Wessie, do you get your money's worth out of your shoe leather in the same way as your tyre rubber... ooops, sorry, tyre canvas!!!???:D

wessie said:

The 1150GS stays in the garage in Aber as it is not suited to the narrow streets of Cardiff. I walk to most places that I need to visit.

I'm sorry but I beg to differ. The 1150 is a great urban weapon - people tend to get out the way if you ride, er, progressively. I have no trouble filtering and I like nothing better than zig zagging up a packed St Mary St on a hot summers day ...

Get some practice in Wessie, no wonder you can't filter if yer bike is gathering dust out in the sticks!!!

gs better

came down the M6 today,me on my 1100 gs and my mate on his heavyer 1150 advent , we saled through all the nose to tail jams as if they wernt there, if thats not user freindly what is
Regards Monster:eek:

f650gs v1150

I 1st bought a 650gs as it was a lot smaller then the 1150 and i thought that my being only 5,7 tall the 1150 would be too big ,how wrong was I after 6 months with the 650 i traded up to an 1150 I find the 1150 better in town and on long country and motorway journeys,i recently took my bike in for a service and was loaned a 650cs its not a patch on the 1150 or even the 650gs,

It might be worth waiting for the 12 to come out, Im sure there may be a few bargains on the 1150's. I certainly wont be changin my 1150 though. Its the dogs doo-dah's. Excellent in traffic too. ITS THE PRESENCE MAN!:shoot:

Gary Morgan said:
or you'll get a killer deal on a used 1150 as their value will plummet
What, like the GS1100 did when the 1150 came out?

Exactly! I got my used 3 year old 1100 for considerably less than half the price of a new 1150. And the 1200 is quite a bigger jump over the current model than the 1150 was over the 1100.:beer:

Re: Bollox

Jim-650 said:
You've worked it out as well.

Looks like we've all got the same idea! I ride a Dakar and love it through the traffic, as I commute each day on it I have been put off of a 1150 because of its abilities in town (they are after all not designed to live in the city).

After the Morocco trip this year its clear that while you can do that sort of thing on a 650 its really hard work. It seems the KTM isn't going to hack it over distance like a GS, So if the stories of the 1200 are true then that seems to be way to go.

Now get in the queue behine me!

Jim-1200.....???

It just aint got the same ring.....what do you think Jon?

Jim-1200????????????????

Jim-lunchtime?

Jim-midnight..................?? :confused:

nah...................... :D

I decided to keep my F650GS, which has 30,000km on it and order the 1150GS ABS, which gets to AU early December.
Sorry, but I do not want the horrors of debugging a new model when at trip to my dealer is about 750 kilometres:)

To complicate matters im now considering a KTM 950 (the 2004 black one looks sweet). Anyone else tempted? My main concern is the KTM seat... not a great place to be for very long I hear.

Pi
I had a test on a 950, and though it sounds odd
it did remind me of the 650gs i had when the gs was being serviced,
Excellent in town ,light and thin.
My only concern was with the local dealer.
One other thing was road presence, i had 3 near misses
with car drivers pulling out on me on my 1 hour test ,this has never happend with the gs.

PS Handling wise the KTM sucks against the GS.

Prices of the 1150 GS may well "plummet" but the big move in the exchange rate of the Euro is going to mean a big price rise.

filtering

I live in glasgow and commute to the city centre and the 1150gs is no problem in traffic.cuts through it like it isn't even there.

Back
Top Bottom