Pictures-Dolomites , Stelvio , Black Forest

ALEXG

http://www.locate.uk.com/tour07/

Pictures of a trip a couple of weeks back through Northern Italy , the Dolomites , Stelvio , Switzerland , Black Forest , Luxemburg and home. Only One GS left in our merry band of brothers down from four last year . 3 KTM's- one needed a new clutch , the two others lost their rear brakes .

Dolomites - great roads but lousy surfaces and too many bikes. Stelvio , Umbrail , Fluela passes all great . Black Forest roads best of all . Just look for the Danger to Motorcyclists warning signs and you know you are in for a treat.

Great hotels , food and wine at very reasonable prices .

Incidentally we cheated and took the French Motorail overnight from Calais to Frejus - no problems and great to wake up 750 miles south of where you set off.

We spent 4 nights in Canazei - Hotel la Perla - and explored for 3 days . Canazei to Cortina , Passo di Giau , Tires , Corvara, Val Gardena. I have attached a couple v9 Mapsource routes for much of it if they are of use to you

Attachments

• dolomite 2 gold.gdb
    47.6 KB · Views: 182
  • Dolomite-1-out.gdb
    35.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Dolomite-1-return.gdb
    29.9 KB · Views: 81
Some stunning scenery there!
I've only ever been to the dolomites in winter so makes a nice change to see the greenery!

ALEXG

. .Alex, what is the cost of using the French rail containers?
PJ

http://www.raileurope.co.uk/frenchmotorail/prices.asp

Above is a link for French Motorail prices which are variable. They charge two bikes as if they were one car so it only works for pairs of motorcycles. We paid £211 each one way. Not a lot more than it would cost in petrol,tolls and accomodation . No buffet car so take your sarnies or buy a picnic at the terminal in Calais . Departed Calais around 6pm though we were advised to be there by 3pm. Arrived Frejus 9.30am - free breakfast then on the road around 10.30. The train we took stoped at Avignon and carried on to Nice . I reckon we were past Nice by the time we would have disembarrked had we continued on the train.

One of the photos shows bikes tied down with white packaging webbing - a bit Heath Robinson but we had no problems . Vehicle carriages are open to the elements not containers.

mapsource 9 routes

Attachments

• Frejus-Bobio fast Day 2.gdb
    144.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Dolomite-1-out.gdb
    35.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Dolomite-1-return.gdb
    29.9 KB · Views: 48
  • dolomite 2 gold.gdb
    47.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Canazei to Ochsen Day 7.gdb
    127.4 KB · Views: 54
More routes

Attachments

• Filietto to La Perla Day 3 part1.gdb
    62.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Filietto to La Perla Day 3 part2.gdb
    94 KB · Views: 50
  • Ochsen to Rebstock Day 8.gdb
    114 KB · Views: 58
  • Rebstock to Welscheid Day 9.gdb
    134.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Welscheid to Calais Day 10.gdb
    88.9 KB · Views: 64
We got back from the same area on 17th June (last went 2005), Dolomites takes some beating, roads and Hotels superb value for money.

Went through Switzerland this time over Grimsel and Furka on to Davos then Umbrail/Stiffeljoch and Jaufen Pass to detination. Returned via Austria Germany (Black Forrest) France.

Timmelsjoch couldn't see your hand in front of your face on the way up!!

Teejay

Off to the Dolomites again this year at the end of the month.
Our usual route after Colmar Frieburg Chur Fluelapass Stelvio Bolzano etc.

Just intersted in your comment best roads in the Black Forest which surprises me I'm wondering if I need to change my route a bit any suggestions from Colmar to Chur.
:beerjug: R.R.

Schwarzwaldhochstrasse (B500) from Baden Baden to Freudenstadt was our favourite in the Black Forest and is not too far out of your way

Back
Top Bottom