14months of GS Adventure

IainMac

Reaction score
I was until recently a GS Adventure owner. I would say that I liked the bike quite a bit when it was working as BMW intended, however over the 14month ownship period a number of factors soured what could have been a long term ownership prospect.
The bike had a number of faults that developed and whilst these were fixed under warrenty the dealer service wasnt without its problems. See list below

1) Front Brake Disks warped by 3Kmiles. and disk bolts rusty, both replaced under warrenty, new disks showing signs of warping again at 11Kmiles
2) Fork bridge (above mudguard) severly corroded, replaced under warrenty once they ordered correct part, R1150R one shipped 1st time (wrong colour). Fork legs suffering similar problems, more chipping, though not replaced.
3) Petrol Tank rusting at seams and spot welds underneath, replaced under warrenty however dealer failed to check new parts were correct (arrived 3 weeks b4 fitting) until day of fitting?! correct parts ordered and fitted later.
4) Rear shock failed, replaced under warrenty but new shock not much better than old un, and worse than the dealers GS Adv demo bike. Ohlins fitted later, by me.
5) Decals on rear kept peeling off, dealer washed one side off, me the other, replaced as goodwill gesture.
6) rear brake hose/swingarm replaced under recall, rear hub bearings shot 1500 miles later (at 11K total miles)? sideways play in rear wheel/hub, not spokes, is this bad mech? or undetected wear?

Trip to Spain, petrol cap snapped, BMW recovery couldn't organised a piss-up in brewery, ie Hire car as parts needed ordering. Spanish BMW garage couldnt give two Sh*ts. when parts turned up, garage wouldn't fit them so I had to, this involved dismantling old nad new caps and swapping lock. easy when you know how, but not it you dont.

Overall I think the GS (adv) is a good bike let down by shoddy BMW service, backup and crap shockers that aren't fit for purpose.

PS I'm now a KTM950 Adventure owner, At least I know the backup will be crap. (or maybe not!).

IainMac

Back
Top Bottom