PDA

View Full Version : Verdun waypoints??

Harleyquin
27-06-07, 16:25
Hi

Heading off for a couple of weeks in Belgium/France/Germany. I've got a set of waypoints for WW1/2 sites near Ypres and am looking for a set for the Verdun area. I've done a search in this forum but all I've found is a note of someone's intention to create such a waypoint file. Does anyone know where I might find a set?

Thanks in advance

P

MikeP
27-06-07, 16:58
Me and Clive visited (briefly) in 2005.

Sorry but I don't have a waypoint file.

Just do a search on Douamont and waypoint that. Basically you will be in the right place if you head for Fort Duamont. Fort Vaux is nearby, there's a museum/visitor centre, the Duamont Ossuary and the village of Fluery.

Have a look at this blog entry (scroll down through the Paris bit). Some photo's (click on them to open full size) and the name of a really nice place to stay locally.

MasterDabber
27-06-07, 17:39
Me and Clive visited (briefly) in 2005.

Sorry but I don't have a waypoint file.

Just do a search on Douamont and waypoint that. Basically you will be in the right place if you head for Fort Duamont. Fort Vaux is nearby, there's a museum/visitor centre, the Duamont Ossuary and the village of Fluery.

Have a look at this blog entry (scroll down through the Paris bit). Some photo's (click on them to open full size) and the name of a really nice place to stay locally.

Same as Mike, I can't help with the waypoints but agree with his advice.

Fort Douaumont is a must http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e170/DerekJordan/Fort%20Douaumont/

A very chilling place.

The Ossuary just a few yards down the road just makes you weep.

Clive
27-06-07, 22:20
Mémorial de la Bataille de Verdun is N49 12.044 E5 25.524

Ossuaire de Douaumont is N49 12.463 E5 25.416

Champs de Bataille de Verdun is N49 13.004 E5 26.389

The hotel Mike is referring to is at N49 12.698 E5 18.170

Clive
27-06-07, 22:47
Just do a search on Douamont and waypoint that.
In Mapsource if you search for a place e.g. Verdun and have it showing in the centre of the screen, you can then do a "Find Nearest Places"

MikeP
27-06-07, 23:03
Just realised that I'd left out the link to the blog! :blast

http://mikeprince.typepad.com/journey_to_/2005/07/index.html

Clive
27-06-07, 23:10
Just realised that I'd left out the link to the blog! :blast

http://mikeprince.typepad.com/journey_to_/2005/07/index.html

I just thought you were playing tricks and using white text :)

MikeP
27-06-07, 23:15
No. White text shows-up too easily!

st13phil
28-06-07, 11:25
Have a look at this blog entry (scroll down through the Paris bit). Some photo's (click on them to open full size) and the name of a really nice place to stay locally.An excellent write up of Fort Douaumont which goes a long way to conveying the atmosphere of a strange and eery place. As a friend of mine said while we were there, "I wonder how long it took for the soldiers garrisoned here to realise they were living in their own tomb?". BTW, the incident that lead to the German shrine being created was the explosion and ensuing fire when a flame-thrower oil store let go. And if I remember correctly, one of the strange statistics I picked up was that more than 1,000 shells per square metre landed on the surface of the fort during the various battles to take control of it :eek:

I first visited the place about 12 or 13 years ago in, apparently, similar weather conditions. The cold, damp, interior contrasts massively with the comparitively searing heat in the sun outside. Given the heat you experienced I can understand your reluctance to get off the bikes again to visit the inside of the Ossuaire de Douaumont but for me - and everyone I have ever taken there - it was a very humbling experience to read the details of so many individuals lost that are inscribed on each stone block that makes up the structure. The long gallery part of the building has small deep red tinted windows in its sides which bathes the whole interior in a red light signifying the blood lost... The museum just up the road is fascinating too.

If anyone fancies visiting a later Maginot Line fort to see how the French static defences had "improved" in time for the Germans to drive around them some 20 years later, then I'd thoroughly recommmend a trip to Fort de Fermont (http://www.maginot.info/uk/index.html) at Longuyon, near the Belgian border. Easily do-able from Verdun and well worth a visit.

The Voie Sacrée from Verdun to Bar-le-Duc (the N35 on current maps, but N-VS on most road signs) makes a pleasant ride too.

daj
28-06-07, 14:16
I've been a couple of times to Verdun. If you can, do a bit of research and look at the forts dotted throughout the forest. There are some 14 of them, including battery emplacements etc. The lesser known ones and less restored ones are really interesting. Take a torch and don't be affraid to look around a bit.

Fantastic and very moving environment.

ST4S
30-06-07, 11:02
Interesting to hear the comments about moving experiences..

I was here [N49 14 05.4 W0 13 23.5 ] on June 5th this year.
It's in the heart of what was the British 6th airborne operational area on D Day and is a memorial to the 9th Parachute Battalion.

As we were looking around, from behind a parked coach came a group of old men, all wearing red beret's and medals. We stood and watched, trying not to intrude as they gathered around the memorial. To my surprise, one of them came over and asked us to join them, not stand isolated on the sidelines. We did so and it turned out that this t-junction was the site of a fierce and prolonged action in 1944. These men had actually been there from D day until August, sustaining heavy casualties. For about 25 minutes it was an honour and a privelege to stand there and listen to them recount the things that had happened on that very spot. History brought alive. To talk about a moving experience... that was certainly one for me that I'll never forget. Most were in their 80's, but to see how proud they were and the comradeship that was clearly as strong today as it was 60 odd years ago made the hairs on my neck stand on end.

MasterDabber
30-06-07, 11:32
BTW, the incident that lead to the German shrine being created was the explosion and ensuing fire when a flame-thrower oil store let go.

And the ironic thing was that as they ran to escape the flames many were shot by their colleagues who thought they were French Moroccan soldiers due to the fact that their faces were blackened by the explosion and flames.