M4 Speed camera. Trigger speed?

Warthog

Reaction score
Reliving bike trips whilst sat at my desk....
Every day i go along the glorious M4. Hence I know hwere the cameras are and I don't go mad anyway. However, the other day, stupidly, i was checking on a bike coming up behind me only to find that I was about to go over the speed graduation strips in a camera's field of view. :blast

I don't think it went off, but just to be sure, i wondered if anyone knew the trigger speed, more or less. Its the camera between J4 and J3 Eastbound. I was doing about 65-67mph.

Whatcha think?

Every day i go along the glorious M4. Hence I know hwere the cameras are and I don't go mad anyway. However, the other day, stupidly, i was checking on a bike coming up behind me only to find that I was about to go over the speed graduation strips in a camera's field of view. :blast

I don't think it went off, but just to be sure, i wondered if anyone knew the trigger speed, more or less. Its the camera between J4 and J3 Eastbound. I was doing about 65-67mph.

Whatcha think?

You'll usually get 10% plus 2mph from TVP. The other variables are:

- is the camera live (ie - with film in)
- if the camera is live, is there any film left?
- what speed will the Partnership deem a ticket worthwhile?

They've got 14 days from date of 'offence' to send you a NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution).

Now, in future, stop watching the road, the traffic and hazards and concentrate on the only thing that matters - your speedometer. FFS - it's not about driving safely, it's about driving legally. Compliance is all...

now then

Whatcha think?

That camera is in the Met area and so wil be set higher than TVP ones. It is 60mph there and I would be very surprised if it is set below 75mph. Mind you, don't quote me on it!

Even if the Met set theirs at the ACPO guidlines, 10% + 2mph = 68mph in a 60 zone. Bear in mind that your speedo will (they all do) have a degree of 'optimism' - that is they are allowed to over-read your true speed by up to 10%.
So if you think you were travelling at 65-67mph, your true speed would probably be nearer 62-65mph.

It looks as if you might be safe. 14 days and counting (assuming your bike is correctly registered to you and they send the NIP to your address. If they take longer to identifiy you as the rider then they have 14 days from when that info becomes known to them - ie in cases involving company car drivers).

Rode the bike on the M4 this morning and this time with GPS attached and running to compare with speedo reading. By my calculations I was probably doing between 62-68mph (tops) based on the Quest reading.

so hopefully this is not a triggering speed. Be right annoyed if it is coz the motorway was not busy at all.....

Back
Top Bottom