Britain's most dangerous road ---- it's official !!

JohnnyBoxer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The AA have confirmed that statistically ............ Britain's most dangerous road is the A537 from Macclesfield to Buxton .........
otherwise known as the Cat & Fiddle.
It has the most deaths per mile.
It seemed perfectly ok when I last did it earlier this year on the Prof.'s GS run around the Peak District,the GS brigade managed it in style,without drama..........
Mind you there was a lot of 'broken plastic ' littering the area generally - those crotch rockets again...............!!

Is it the most dangerous or alternatively the most entertaining.........if treated with respect..........

Personally I think it's over rated and they're many more challenging roads in other parts of the UK-especially Scotland.

As far as technically demanding/challenging it can't 'hold a candle' to most of the Alpine roads or many of the lower routes in Germany/France/Spain/Austria/Slovenia/Italy................

How can an inanimate object, such as a road, be dangerous?

Like "weapons of mass destruction", they only become "dangerous" when combined with a human!

Iain

Just saw an item on this on the morning news. An AA spokesman was advocating spending public money on improving the safety of A roads. Little or no mention of incompetent, stupid or dangerous driving being the real problem. I got the feeling that, if he had his way, all A roads would be straight with a 50 limit and with all junctions controlled by traffic lights.

Very depressing but this type of thinking seems to be the norm amongst the "experts"

Mick .:(

Johnny, its the most dangerous because the locals put deisel on it deliberatly to keep bikers away, and I think your'e right it is overated, there are far better roads.

I wish the AA would stop doing this.

They said, about 2 yrs ago, that the Symonds Yat to Harewood End road in Herefordshire was the most dangerous in the West of England.

Now we have a lengthy stretch of double white lines and 50mph limits.

Nanny state, mutter, mutter.

Surely they should allow the Darwin principle to sort the problem on these roads?

Squidbrain said:
I got the feeling that, if he had his way, all A roads would be straight with a 50 limit and with all junctions controlled by traffic lights.

Sounds like he's taken the Netherlands as his model. I've NEVER seen so many traffic lights.

Surely the short stretch of road that ncap use must be the worst. I've seen loads of pictures of accidents on it. I bet the govenment don't do anything about it though.

Apparently the latest thinking from the Netherlands is to remove all the signs and road markings at junctions,this makes you slow right down because you have no idea who has priority.

TimC

vastly over-rated

I grew up in Stockport and the Cat & Fiddle was a good blast when we were on our 250 bikes that struggled to make 100mph. Fot anything faster it is rubbish as the cambers are all wrong, the bends tighten up on you and its full of traffic.
The reason there are so many accidents on the Cat & Fiddl is the irresponsible tossers who write in "Superbike" and "FastBike" etc magazines who encourage peolpe to go there for a blast.

Like Johnny Boxer says there are numerous better and safer roads to go scratchin on

Have Fun

AndyT:cool:

Apparently the latest thinking from the Netherlands is to remove all the signs and road markings at junctions,this makes you slow right down because you have no idea who has priority.

I heard that too...but i wonder what happens in court when some twat has t-boned someone and they both say there was nothing saying who had priority??

I can see their logic in doing it, but surely it will lower the accountability...at least if things are clearly marked and signed you know who was wrong....

Mind you, as a bit of a compromise i do really like the Froggies idea of having flashing red lights that mean if it's safe to go you can but you don't have priority........timed so they're solid red at peak and only flashing when having to stop for a periodically changing red light would otherwise bewaste of fuel, time, brake linings and just not necessary

ps can i have a DB shotgun on my Hbars to shoot all the little bastard kids who press all the buttons at pelican crossings just 'cos its a button and they have absolutely no intentionm of crossing??

Pleeeease????

TimC said:

TimC

In Belgium the solution is to just ignore the signs anyway.....makes for exciting journeys sometimes :D

I think that the leftovers of road accidents should be left there for a few days, cart off the person to hospital, and leave the bits as a sign.

Three or four weeks ago a lad was killed at the end of our road, the two mates he worked with went slow for two days, but now 120- 130 mph at the junction at 4.58pm every day garentteed, long 500yards of Dual Carrage way.

Not long and it will be down to one, counting the days.
:tosser

BAKERMAN said:
I think that the leftovers of road accidents should be left there for a few days, cart off the person to hospital, and leave the bits as a sign.

Three or four weeks ago a lad was killed at the end of our road, the two mates he worked with went slow for two days, but now 120- 130 mph at the junction at 4.58pm every day garentteed, long 500yards of Dual Carrage way.

Not long and it will be down to one, counting the days.
:tosser

Over here the relatives place a wreath, candles*, pictures and flowers at the scene of a fatalality.. Not a bad idea as it focus's your attention for a while :eek:

*I think the government liked this as it saved on street lighting.:D

Hi ,

one of my favourite roads, which combines sweeping bends with gentle undulations, goes from Belmont (nr Bolton) and through Abbey Village.

On Sunday I took the GS out for a spin and discovered two changes;

1) the speed limit has been reduced to 50mph &

2) it's being activly policed!

So watch it chaps, the Rozzers are out to get us all!

Some people have no sense of fun do they!

Regards

A slightly slower Reggie (AKA The Cameraman)

Define 'Most Dangerous"

How does that work then, "The AA state that it is the most dangerous road"

The fact that a road has more RTC Deaths in a given period than any other road means nothing as a stand alone statistic. What other considerations are taken into account? i.e; number of vehicles that use the road in that time, the number of bikes in that total, the length of the road, the height (ASL) of the road can even be a factor.

Lies, damn lies and statistics EH ?

Howard Millichap said:
Sounds like he's taken the Netherlands as his model. I've NEVER seen so many traffic lights.

The Dutch model is by popular demand - it's to keep all the pot heads happy when they see the pretty coloured lights :spl1f:

Howard Millichap said:

Currently we are rapidly exchanging them for roundabouts in rural areas and mid sized towns. That`s only fortunate because only few were minding the exact colour of the lights anyway. Try riding through Amsterdam once...

Gecko said:
In Belgium the solution is to just ignore the signs anyway.....makes for exciting journeys sometimes :D

Yes I remember...
k75crash.JPG

Anyway I rode the macclesfield to buxton road two years ago. What a joke the whole thing seems to me has been limited to 50 with white lines. I won't be riding it again...

I came across the Cat & Fiddle yesterday, great road but spolit by utter knobheads on a death mission!
Undertaking cars on some of the corners is just asking for trouble.

Mind we also did the Hardnott Pass the day before up in Cumbria, now thats a mans road??

BTBR

I agree, the Cat and Fiddle is mostly spoilt by its reputation, and the crowd that attracts. However the local council are attempting to spoil it even more by ruining the road surface. The Buxton side was "resurfaced" with gravel a year or so ago and now it's all come off making it very hairy for bikes. My bike anyway, I've currently got a fazer, maybe you GS chaps don't notice such things :)

My theory is that some roads are deliberately made dangerous by the council to deter bikers and thus reduce accident statistics.

Back
Top Bottom